SIMPLE question on neck tension

prostreet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
I have read and view videos on bullet neck tension until I was dizzy. ( doesn't take much )
Am I over simplifying this or is this is what you need to know.
I understand that a lot of variables go into this.
Wall thickness, concentricity, straight parallel and all, but
The basic drawing I submitted, YES or NO!
Using .001 inch bullet tension as an example.
Any and all comments would be appreciated.
Thank You

Attachments

• Neck.jpg
    Neck.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 74
The new prs round?

I measure neck od then seat a round and measure to get neck tension.

Thats all the tools I have available.

Short answer is yes, your drawing depicts .001 tension.

Reactions: prostreet
Yes a simple micrometer/ caliper works.

The condition of brass / hardness / annealing etc. Have effects but not essily measured except for range results.

the .30 caliber bullets i have should be .308 they miked at .299 , .009 undersize
For a standard .30 cal, the bore diameter (diameter at the land tops) is .300, and the groove is .308. If you shoot a .299 bullet in a typical 30 cal, it will just skip across the tops of the lands, and impart zero twist into the bullet.

the .30 caliber bullets i have should be .308 they miked at .299 , .009 undersize

Either you need to get some new bullets, or else your tool and/or measuring technique is seriously flawed.

With very, very, *VERY* few exceptions, modern .30 cal bullets from commercial suppliers like Hornady, Sierra, Berger, Lapua, etc. measure .308", plus or minus (usually plus) a few ten thousandths.

If you're seeing something different, the problem is almost assuredly on your end.

All my (30 cal) 308 bullets measure. 308.

Re zero your calipers, check to see if on inches, make sure to measure behind the ogive .

Never seen a .299 bullet.

I would guess if you resized a piece of brass and put a .299 bullet on it the bullet would free fall inside the case.

Tension on my 308 bolt gun rounds is
.0015 to .0020 and I run .0030 to .0035 in 223 gas guns.

Just for a reference.

Either you need to get some new bullets, or else your tool and/or measuring technique is seriously flawed.

With very, very, *VERY* few exceptions, modern .30 cal bullets from commercial suppliers like Hornady, Sierra, Berger, Lapua, etc. measure .308", plus or minus (usually plus) a few ten thousandths.

If you're seeing something different, the problem is almost assuredly on your end.
Thank you, I will check that out. No names but there good bullets. Hope it is my gauge.

Thank you, I will check that out. No names but there good bullets. Hope it is my gauge.

You're also measuring wrong on the drawing. Bullet IN the case, measure outside of the neck let's say .320" you want to size the neck with a bushing to .319" of neck tension.

The outside neck diameter will swell when you seat the bullet. The outer neck diameter WITH a bullet seated is what you subtract the .001" from.