Sks paratrooper truck gun.

B

boomer81

Awhile back I started a great new job in a bad part of town. My fucking ar’s are all pushing $2k with glass and I don’t really wanna leave em in my truck. Cause it’s a rout I run and my truck can be there in a unsecure open yard. A block from the Salvation Army that type of place. 16hrs a day 3-4 days a week. I’ve shot sks’s my whole life my old man bought a fucking pallet of em for $70 each back in 93’ or some shit. He buried some gave some away to friends and the stay in employees trucks on our ranches. Hell he has one that’s stayed in the back bed of a farm truck exposed to all elements for 20 years that will shoot lights out at 100 with irons. But I’ve never had a short paratrooper style.

I’ve seen They Can be had for $400 a little more for Russian or norinco or so. which is still insane to me but like I said my ar’s with glass are $2k so I would rather get that stole. what’s the range and accuracy of one best brand etc. I would probably put a reflex or cheap 4x I already own. put a 10-20round mag. And of course hand load for it. Because that’s what I do. How far out are the effective. could it do min of man at 400yds with scope and hand loads. Is that out of the question. Thanks to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Raffica762
I have a Yugo. Range and accuracy is no different than an AK or Mini-30. Optics are sort of limited. The only solid mount is the rear sight position. Get one that can shoot steel and brass ammo without piercing the primer. I love the SKS but it is best with the original sights. Been there and done that. The SKS BBS is the best place to find out more. There is a Smith over there out of Texas that specializes in the SKS. His name is Murray. Those guys will know more and fix you up right.

I have never liked the AK, but have always had a rather odd affection for the SKS. I have had Russian, Norinco, and Yugo (original 59 w/ no grenade launcher). I would say the chances of getting one to hold a 12" -14" group at 400 yards is possible. It just might take some work.

One thing about all of them is that the first 5 rounds might go where you want them, but once the barrel and gas system heat up, all bets are off.

I wouldn't mess with any of the after market extended mags either. In my experience that is a waste of time.

Gotcha. I need to accept it as it is. I got my bolt guns etc for lr work. I just always have a rifle in the truck. I work in a metropolitan area with a couple million people. And drive 60 miles each way to my farm. Just want some that will get me home if i ever needed it. I have lever guns but they are all heirlooms. A 10rd semi auto 30-30 is about what a sks is. Idk if i should find a used marlin maybe

Gotcha. I need to accept it as it is. I got my bolt guns etc for lr work. I just always have a rifle in the truck. I work in a metropolitan area with a couple million people. And drive 60 miles each way to my farm. Just want some that will get me home if i ever needed it. I have lever guns but they are all heirlooms. A 10rd semi auto 30-30 is about what a sks is. Idk if i should find a used marlin maybe
Actually, I was going to suggest that very thing. Back in the day, marlins were expensive and SKS's were dirt cheap. That dynamic has flipped around now. I would have much less heartburn about losing a beater Marlin than an SKS these days.

If you have a nice Russian SKS that's original & matching, I'd keep it as an investment, they are on the upswing & it's not unusual to see them fetch $500 to $600.

Extended mags are a pain and not worth it.

One thing to note however is that you don't need to be so expensive on the AR platform. You can get a decent AR15 type rifle in the $500 to $700 range and you can get a nice Nikon scope or similar basic decent scope for $200 to $300 with $100 spent on the mount.

The SKS is best with just open sights. If you want optics / red dot... get an AR15 type.

frankly ide rather just build my self a cheap AR...

Anderson Lower and AR-Stoner barreled upper with some Iron sights......you can build that for around $400 and youll have a much more capable rifle than an SKS.
If you have a nice Russian SKS that's original & matching, I'd keep it as an investment, they are on the upswing & it's not unusual to see them fetch $500 to $600.

Extended mags are a pain and not worth it.

One thing to note however is that you don't need to be so expensive on the AR platform. You can get a decent AR15 type rifle in the $500 to $700 range and you can get a nice Nikon scope or similar basic decent scope for $200 to $300 with $100 spent on the mount.

The SKS is best with just open sights. If you want optics / red dot... get an AR15 type.
These guys have a good point. I have seen AR-15 rifle kits without the stripped lower go for $379 from places like Palmetto State Armory. You can get into an AR for less than $500 if you look around. You might even find one at a local pawn shop for under that.

Edit: Here is one from Palmetto State for $299. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-classic-fde-rifle-kit-516446389.html

You can get into an AR for less than $500 if you look around. You might even find one at a local pawn shop for under that.

Your local gun store may be able to get you a brand new one for under $500 or right about that.
I just asked my local gun store for a cheap decent basic AR for somebody for their first AR for basic practice at 100 yards... $499 brand new including fixed front sight & flip up rear sight. No need to deal with shipping & transfer fee.

Faced with much the same need, I built a .300 BO with inexpensive parts, using a 12 inch barrel and a brace, for about $500. That is about the amount I can stand losing. It's the same philosophy that drives the decision to carry a Glock 19, instead of much nicer and more expensive handguns I own. I could have built the truck gun even cheaper, but I still desired "bet your life" reliability. Chose .300 BO because of the short barrel performance. I use Barnes 110 gr. TAC-TX. The obvious advantage is mounting light and optic.

Reactions: deersniper
frankly ide rather just build my self a cheap AR...

Anderson Lower and AR-Stoner barreled upper with some Iron sights......you can build that for around $400 and youll have a much more capable rifle than an SKS.

What he said. AR parts are cheap, cheap , cheap and getting cheaper by the day. $400 will build an excellent AR.

What happens when AR's are so cheap, that you can't resist buying another. Then you find out there is absolutely no way another gun will fit in the safe? You buy another safe of course, and the cycle continues....:D

Reactions: W54/XM-388
image.jpg
image.jpg

Gotcha 300blk would be cool in a pistol. And i have more thatn enough basic spare lower parts kits buffers etc etc to build a couple ar's. I just saw the sks shorty (never seen one in person) and got a hard on for one

Gotcha 300blk would be cool in a pistol. And i have more thatn enough basic spare lower parts kits buffers etc etc to build a couple ar's. I just saw the sks shorty (never seen one in person) and got a hard on for one
"Want" doesn't have to have any relationship to "need". We tend to be overly pragmatic with our advice sometimes. I would never drag a $30k shotgun or double rifle through the woods, but some do.

"Want" doesn't have to have any relationship to "need". We tend to be overly pragmatic with our advice sometimes. I would never drag a $30k shotgun or double rifle through the woods, but some do.
I used to duck hunt with a guy who brought a $20k, sidelock, Greener hammer gun in the blind every time we hunted. He figured there was no point in owning it if he didn’t hunt with it. When he died he gave it to one of my other buddies on the condition that he hunt with it...which he does.