• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Slings for AR type rifles not carbines

Re: Slings for AR type rifles not carbines

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on what you are going to do with it.

Target shooting?
High Power?
Tactical?

If you have the ability to make your own, it may be a good experience for you. </div></div>

+1

Depends what you mean by long haul too - if you're talking about walking miles & miles with a rifle, I'd usually strap it to my backpack (or use an Eberlestock pack). If you want something more at the ready the Kifaru gunbearer system isn't a bad way to go (though the extra weight on the pack belt can make it ride a bit funny at times - that said covered 50+ miles over 3 days once without too much trauma).

Personally I'm just not going to carry rifle using a sling for too long a distance - I've done it before and don't find it comfortable at all.

For all-around use the Vtac & Blueforce slings are generally the names that come up. I've used the Vtac (and the Larue variation of it) and it's pretty nice. For me the padded version is definitely worth the extra few bucks.

Not as ideal for precision shooting as a TAB/TIS sling is though - at least not for me.

I use Larue on both my M4 and my LR-308, its padded so it helps some but I just like the way the sling works. I also agree that a sling is not the greatest for far walks (anything over 5 miles)
I find most of the time with my hunting rifles the sling never gets used. Good luck finding what you need.