Suppressors Smith Enterprise Wind Talker .30 cal suppressor?

Narwhal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi,

I'm I have 3 M14's and an R-700 LTR. I'm looking for a sound supressor that could work on all 4. Does anyone know if the Wind Talker Supressor might be a good choice? In case you haven't heard of it, there is some info here: http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/M14DC_Suppressor_USG04.pdf

Supposedly it slides on over a vortex flash hider.

If you think it's a good buy, do you also think it would be possible to thread the 700's barrel to .595-32 for compatability with M14 muzzle devices or is that a little bit crazy/unfeasible? Would it be smarter to go 25/32x24 TPI on the 700 then just get a seperate vortex flash suppressor with that pitch?

Does anyone know how much noise reduction the Wind Talker offers over comparable 762 suppressors from other companies?

Thanks.

Re: Smith Enterprise Wind Talker .30 cal suppressor?

Thanks, I tried to register at slincertalk but for some reason can't get my account to work over there, therfore I can't search there (seems that you have to login there to search). I couldn't find much mention of the Smith Suppressor on here in my searches, thus I started the thread. Sorry.

If anyone else doesn't mind throwing out some recommendations instead of the Smith Enterprise offering, I'd appreciate it. I assume Surefire and AAC are the way to go then?

i just ordered an AAC cyclone. i hear they are very quiet but they seemed a little heavy. i have not seen one person say anything bad about the thunder beast tho.

The Smith Enterprise product has a bore that is ~.410" or at least used to. That's probably why it doesn't test well.

The M14's are going to be the limiting factor. Not everyone makes adaptors for their threads.

Thanks for the responses.

I have pretty much decided just to go with an AAC cyclone for my 700. There is a guy making adapters 5/8-24 adapters for the M14's so there's that option later if the time comes.

I was also looking into the AAC 300-TM but it seems too new for there to be much info about, and availability seems limited. For now, the cyclone just seems like the easiest/best option.

Thanks.

It takes more than an adapter to make an M214 run properly with a suppressor on it. There are a good number of threads on that very subject here at the Hide. Before you "pretty much decide" it might be a good idea to read them. Good luck.

What's with the all the condescension "RollingThunder51"? If you don't want to help, just do me a favor and don't hit reply. If by "a lot more", you mean an adjustable gas plug, whooptie-do, yes I know that they are sometimes required. Your reply did zero except probably make you feel better about yourself. Jesus.

Moderator(s), if you want to just delete this whole thread, I'll take this is a lesson not to ask anymore questions on here.

Thanks to those of you who aren't a-holes.

What condescension? It takes more than an adapter to make an M14 run properly with a suppressor on it. There are a good number of threads on that very subject here at the Hide. Before you "pretty much decide" it might be a good idea to read them.

Good luck.

P.S. There are at least two threads on failed adapter designs for m14s. One inwhich (after a potential baffle strike) the rifle had to be returned to have the barrel muzzle re-cut, recrowned and the adapter set on at the factory. There are at least a couple more on either adjustable gas plugs OR where you can go to get gas matched (to round and barrel length) static plugs. There are also at least one I can remember that talks about issues surrounding the noise that can be expected from chamber pop. One on just shutting down the gas altogether, one more on gas shields applications and No, they are not "sometimes required" for some cans they are a requirement AND for the cans they are not, it will have a direct impact on the suppression performance on your bolt gun.

As to moderators, with 28 posts you are calling me an asshole. With that I've pretty much decided to say "Welcome to the Hide."

The M14 is a less than ideal suppressor platform by virtue of the minimal barrel diameter that is relatively flimsy and only exists because the gun couldn't meet its objective weight requirements because of the steel receiver.

Obviously that didn't prevent the military from purchasing sionics suppressors in Vietnam, and later Ops suppressors for M14's and also some of the Crazy horse systems which have the Fisher/SEI suppressors on them.

I've heard some things about excessive gas system noise, but many people are happy with their suppressed M14's. I believe Robert Silvers did have a suppressed M14. Maybe you can reach him on silencer talk and see how his AAC suppressor/M14 combination worked out?

I have a Springfield NM . I built it as a DMR , with the MacMillan stock and Smith Enterprise parts . While I haven't messed with it lately , here are a few things that I picked up on other threads :
- the barrel threads are considered to be too light for a silencer . I had a 5/8"x 24 adapter made . I use the Vortex as a thread-protector for regular shooting .
- I have a functional gas-valve . Closed , it is as quiet as a bolt-action ... The silencer creates a lot of back-pressure . A scope and mount , or the GI-issue blank-adapter ejection-port shield can reduce the crud thrown in your face on semi-. I think AAC sold a modified gas-valve spindle to reduce the excessive gas created by a silencer , when fired in the semi- mode .
- I use an SWR OMEGA-300 . It makes standard ammo sound like a .22 rifle . You're not going to lose the supersonic 'crack' , unless you shoot subsonic . It sounds like a pellet gun , but you sacrifice effective-range .

This platform is meant to shoot unsuppressed with iron sights to 1000 yards.
I do not get why people try to make this platform into something it is not.
Like everything else, it has it's limitations.