SMK 183 vs smk197

Marcthebean

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2019
Hi all,
Long time lurker..
I have tried searching and can’t find any real info between the SMK 183 and SMK 197. I shoot a 7mm rem mag at the moment as my elr rifle and have been shooting the SMK 183 with H1000 at 2850fps out of a 28” barrel. It does great for me but I am curious if I should go to the SMK 197? I guess I am trying to decide if I will gain anything other than an extra 50-100 yards before it goes transonic. I have run the numbers through my calculator many times but I am looking for some real world info.
Thanks!

What's the twist? I'm kind of in the same boat but with a smaller case, the 7mm-08, I've been using 185 RDF's and have been considering moving up, not only in bullet weight, but cartridge as well. My twist is 1-8" and it stabilizes the 185's just fine.

I'm thinking when Sierra came out with the 197's they were expecting people to use them out of a magnum cartridge.

What's the twist? I'm kind of in the same boat but with a smaller case, the 7mm-08, I've been using 185 RDF's and have been considering moving up, not only in bullet weight, but cartridge as well. My twist is 1-8" and it stabilizes the 185's just fine.

I'm thinking when Sierra came out with the 197's they were expecting people to use them out of a magnum cartridge.
My barrel is a 1-8 twist.