• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

So my Dad was like hey son lets build a custom gun

30calDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
North Idaho
So for the past few months I was going to build up my 24" FNH PBR XP in .308WIN, but I have been going back and forth about stepping up calibers due to Dad getting a re-loader. Today my dad was like lets build a custom rifle, I am like lets do a .300WM or maybe a .338LM. He was like either a .338Edge or .338LM, I said lets do a Lapua Magnum due to it being slightly more common round. You do the load data and reloading and we should be good to go. So he wants to obviously have a muzzle break, I say no worries we will have one included in the build. Just so everyone remembers he is in Idaho and I am in southern Calif. and the gun will remain down here in my possession. I know this is taking a long time, but basically he doesn't want this gun to weigh an arm and a leg due to us sharing it for target and Elk duties. He doesn't want a heavy barrel and I say what about a medium barrel. Pops says we will talk about it in the morning, super stoked though!!! Question is what manufacturer should be go with? I am recommending GA Precision and he says he wants to shop around. I told him I will supply the NightForce glass and I am willing to drop about $2300 before taxes on the glass. On top of that I am willing to spend about another $1000 MAXIMUM!!!!! on top of the $850 I can get for the FNH, and he drops about $1500 so that equals about $3350 BEFORE glass. Sorry for the long, drawn out story just a little excited to be building a higher end rifle with the Pops. Also we would be willing to drop down to a .300WM/RUM/or equivalent if it will still have the knockdown power and far out reach.

Re: So my Dad was like hey son lets build a custom gun

If you are building a Lapua get in on the Stiller group buy in the group buy section. I think it's $875 for a custom action Tac338. With $3,350 to spend I'd go total custom with a Remington based action. I biased though, that's the only bolts I've ever had, and you can get tons of stuff for them. You may also look into doing a Lapua Improved, it will give you more fps, but may cost a little more for reloading, etc.

I'm not a proponent of long range hunting because of the "oops" factor, but thats just me.

that being said it sounds like your pop wants more of a lighter weight hunting rifle that can also hit steal, and you want a target rifle that can also hunt?

Get a manners MCS-T or McMillan HTG with a blue printed 700 action and chamber it in a 7mm magnum round or if you want bigger a .300 WM.

I'd go with a Krieger #7 or light palma barrel contour @ 26 or 28 inches.

thats just me though, whatever you do it sounds like fun.

If your both new to longrange shooting you may want to start off with a little less gun. If you are an experienced longrange shooter then listen to the advice above.(But then you would probably already know that)

If your not a longrange shooter now you will need to send a lot of rounds down range before you will be able to hit anything at long range esp the ranges a 338LM is made for. You may want to keep your 308 and do a bunch of shooting first and learn to read the wind. Anyone can use a range finder and turn the dial to the correct number "IF" you have the data but its the wind call that seperates the men from the boys in this business. Good luck in your quest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So for the past few months I was going to build up my 24" FNH PBR XP in .308WIN, but I have been going back and forth about stepping up calibers due to Dad getting a re-loader. Today my dad was like lets build a custom rifle, I am like lets do a .300WM or maybe a .338LM. He was like either a .338Edge or .338LM, I said lets do a Lapua Magnum due to it being slightly more common round. You do the load data and reloading and we should be good to go. So he wants to obviously have a muzzle break, I say no worries we will have one included in the build. Just so everyone remembers he is in Idaho and I am in southern Calif. and the gun will remain down here in my possession. I know this is taking a long time, but basically he doesn't want this gun to weigh an arm and a leg due to us sharing it for target and Elk duties. He doesn't want a heavy barrel and I say what about a medium barrel. Pops says we will talk about it in the morning, super stoked though!!! Question is what manufacturer should be go with? I am recommending GA Precision and he says he wants to shop around. I told him I will supply the NightForce glass and I am willing to drop about $2300 before taxes on the glass. On top of that I am willing to spend about another $1000 MAXIMUM!!!!! on top of the $850 I can get for the FNH, and he drops about $1500 so that equals about $3350 BEFORE glass. Sorry for the long, drawn out story just a little excited to be building a higher end rifle with the Pops. Also we would be willing to drop down to a .300WM/RUM/or equivalent if it will still have the knockdown power and far out reach. </div></div>

Like Wow man! You and Pops should get a used SAKO TRG42 and call it good.

Heres my .02 worth...

Try to get some trigger time on a .338LM if you can... thats assuming that you have not shot one yet..

I have been shooting and competing with .308s and 223's for a while.. (10+ years)... I thought... the SAME thing.. its time to bump up..

I went the .338LM route... I got a mild custom Remington MLR .338LM in a XLR Chasis... NICE setup.. but damn its ALOT of rifle..

If your thinking a .338LM... and your dad is wanting LIGHTWEIGHT... its going to kick like your getting nailed by a mack truck running 90 mph.

Make sure you have a VERY GOOD muzzle brake!! A medium or heavy barrel would be my suggestion.

Its a GREAT rifle and a great round...

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So for the past few months I was going to build up my 24" FNH PBR XP in .308WIN, but I have been going back and forth about stepping up calibers due to Dad getting a re-loader. Today my dad was like lets build a custom rifle, I am like lets do a .300WM or maybe a .338LM. He was like either a .338Edge or .338LM, I said lets do a Lapua Magnum due to it being slightly more common round. You do the load data and reloading and we should be good to go. So he wants to obviously have a muzzle break, I say no worries we will have one included in the build. Just so everyone remembers he is in Idaho and I am in southern Calif. and the gun will remain down here in my possession. I know this is taking a long time, but basically he doesn't want this gun to weigh an arm and a leg due to us sharing it for target and Elk duties. He doesn't want a heavy barrel and I say what about a medium barrel. Pops says we will talk about it in the morning, super stoked though!!! Question is what manufacturer should be go with? I am recommending GA Precision and he says he wants to shop around. I told him I will supply the NightForce glass and I am willing to drop about $2300 before taxes on the glass. On top of that I am willing to spend about another $1000 MAXIMUM!!!!! on top of the $850 I can get for the FNH, and he drops about $1500 so that equals about $3350 BEFORE glass. Sorry for the long, drawn out story just a little excited to be building a higher end rifle with the Pops. Also we would be willing to drop down to a .300WM/RUM/or equivalent if it will still have the knockdown power and far out reach. </div></div>

Like Wow man! You and Pops should get a used SAKO TRG42 and call it good. </div></div>

On the right track...I believe Alex at Eurooptic is selling NEW Trg 42s in both 300wm and 338 for under $2400.

Well Dad has been shooting and hunting with magnum rounds for well over 15 years. He already has a .338 and knows that a lot of long range target guns can be heavy pigs. We don't necessarily have to go with a .338 but he sure likes his .338 for Elk hunting. I don't mind going with a .300WM or he even has brought up a .300RUM. I am more excited at the fact that he even wants to build a custom gun more than anything:)

...and he was like, "Let's build a rifle."
...and I was like, "Rock on."
...and he was like, "I want it to be like that."
...and I was like, "But I want it to be like this."

Oh, and I like your sig line. That's a slick way to sell here without meeting the minimum post requirement.

But to answer your question, you can't go wrong with GAP, or UGSW, or APA, or LA Precision. I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch, those are just the first ones to come to mind. Give them a call, and talk to them about the build you want to do, then go with the one that you feel can best meet your requirements.

Awwww geeze. I feel like I'm reading twitter or something. Sharing a gun, between Idaho and Cali? Sounds like a great plan.

How about you both go buy $1500 rifles- I think you'd be much happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
KillZone45
Sergeant
------------------------------------------------------------------------
<span style="font-style: italic">signature line:</span>
FS: S.A. 4" XD .45acp w/ Springer Prec. CC trigger job, extended RH mag release, factory cleanup and feed ramp polished, and TruGlo TFO night sights. Also comes with $200 of various ammo mostly quality HP's. Has 4 magazines total all factory XD. Asking $700 or trades for Manners/McMillan stocks
</div></div>

Are you kidding??
Cute little way of skirting house rules.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awwww geeze. I feel like I'm reading twitter or something. Sharing a gun, between Idaho and Cali? Sounds like a great plan.

How about you both go buy $1500 rifles- I think you'd be much happier. </div></div>

I will have the rifle 99% of the time, when he wants to use it for a hunting trip he can borrow it, this is a father/son project and Im pretty excited because that means I get to build a nicer gun than what I have. I dont have to do this with him btw, he has plenty of nice rifles to shoot his Deer and Elk with. I think he is pretty excited that I am finally getting into rifles and this is his way of helping me build a nice one. I can bet we will end up with something along the lines of a .300WM or RUM.

Sounds like a great project. Do yourself a favor - talk to Jered at APA and see if he can get you what you want in your budget. Great guys - 706.534.1577. They might not be the fastest company out there, but the extra wait is more than worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and he was like, "Let's build a rifle."

Oh, and I like your sig line. That's a slick way to sell here without meeting the minimum post requirement.

But to answer your question, you can't go wrong with GAP, or UGSW, or APA, or LA Precision. I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch, those are just the first ones to come to mind. Give them a call, and talk to them about the build you want to do, then go with the one that you feel can best meet your requirements. </div></div>

Like...!!!OMG!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and he was like, "Let's build a rifle."

But to answer your question, you can't go wrong with GAP, or UGSW, or APA, or LA Precision. I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch, those are just the first ones to come to mind. Give them a call, and talk to them about the build you want to do, then go with the one that you feel can best meet your requirements. </div></div>

hilarious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a great project. Do yourself a favor - talk to Jered at APA and see if he can get you what you want in your budget. Great guys - 706.534.1577. They might not be the fastest company out there, but the extra wait is more than worth it. </div></div>

We have actually dropped our lead times a lot from where they used to be. Just an FYI.

This project might not get off the ground for awhile, might take Pops a bit to save for his end, unless I can come up with the $ and spot him. I have been looking around and am going to spend some more $ than I originally planned for, which is not a big deal since I am selling my FNH PBR and HK in the next few days. Dad is liking the 338Edge and I am liking the 300WM or possibly a 300RUM. Still looking around at different companies including undergroundskunkworks. Just a little update as I "came back from the dead"
smile.gif