• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Solus Build Impressions

N_Turs

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
AZ
First off take all this with a gain of salt. I have minimal long range experience. I do shoot a lot of 2gun tho. Bout six month back decided to build a long range rig. Prior experience is with a factory rem 700 26” bull barrel, couple of simple mods. Have shot the rifle to about 600 pretty well but not in the last 12 years.

New build cost
Aero solus action new - 650 local shop
Proof comp 6.5 creed 26” new - 600 local shop
Picked up here from members
Action wrench - 75
Trigger tech diamond - 180
Mk5 w/rings - 1550
Mpa comp w/folder trade for older mk4 I had 600 value imo got a great trade
Total
3655 to toss it together which was simple as shit. Took about 30 min total.

Shot it this weekend for the first time over all pretty pumped on it. But the action does feel like hammered out dog shit. Hopefully it smooths out after more use. Has a weird bind at the rear when running the bolt.

Put 65 rounds through it. Zero was quick I’m guessing because the scope came off a rifle that was most likely a 700 or clone. Shooting an 8” plate was way to easy at 300. Made hits out to 780. Few misses here and there. Need to shoot off a bench and see how it groups. I was shooting off my tripod. But overall this thing shot great I’ll post some pics of groups once I do. Here’s some pics cause that’s what everyone likes.

Attachments

• 09FCE341-A603-4F1F-903A-D0C27232769F.jpeg
    09FCE341-A603-4F1F-903A-D0C27232769F.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DC44D9F0-2687-4BD0-9BFC-63933A053839.jpeg
    DC44D9F0-2687-4BD0-9BFC-63933A053839.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DF2BBCB6-0538-403B-AC77-AE49FB1046DC.jpeg
    DF2BBCB6-0538-403B-AC77-AE49FB1046DC.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 166
Looks nice and got some nice parts. I'm assuming you greased the bolt stop groove and the rest of bolt areas that need grease? My solus was pretty slick when new, but after a couple thousand cycles, it's very slick now.

Looks nice and got some nice parts. I'm assuming you greased the bolt stop groove and the rest of bolt areas that need grease? My solus was pretty slick when new, but after a couple thousand cycles, it's very slick now.
Thank you it was a fun build and out of the norm for me. As far as grease no I did not grease anything. I cleaned it all and oiled it up. Never really used grease in any of my guns cause I figured it would attract to much dirt out here in the desert. But I will give that a go and see how she feels. Thank you for the advice.

Thank you it was a fun build and out of the norm for me. As far as grease no I did not grease anything. I cleaned it all and oiled it up. Never really used grease in any of my guns cause I figured it would attract to much dirt out here in the desert. But I will give that a go and see how she feels. Thank you for the advice.
Finish Line or Tri-Flow dry lube works great on the Solus bolt. Most of the drag is in the bolt stop groove as @6brshooter mentioned. I found that area needed far more lube than typical for a bolt gun.

Reactions: N_Turs
Bolt lugs(to avoid galling), cocking ramps on bolt body, bolt stop groove on bolt body, and ears on cocking piece(fp assembly needs to be removed from bolt body) are areas that need lube.

Right on thanks for the advice, Ill get some lube and see how it feels. I know people like to grease AR bolts as well but I never have due to dirt contamination in the conditions I usually shoot in. Never had any issues with any ar's over thousands of rounds but Ill grease this Solus up per everyone's recommendation. Running the bolt really is the only small complaint I have with the action. Other then that, for the money I dont think it can be beat if found for less then 700.

Right on thanks for the advice, Ill get some lube and see how it feels. I know people like to grease AR bolts as well but I never have due to dirt contamination in the conditions I usually shoot in. Never had any issues with any ar's over thousands of rounds but Ill grease this Solus up per everyone's recommendation. Running the bolt really is the only small complaint I have with the action. Other then that, for the money I dont think it can be beat if found for less then 700.
I run Aeroshell 64/33 high-temp mil armorer grease on my guns, just a thin finger-applied layer on the bolt body, a little extra applied with a flux brush in the bolt release groove, and the bolt lugs & raceways (all contact points), but run everything else dry to avoid attracting dust/dirt. 👍🏼

You can buy it on Amazon, in 1oz jars. Is not overly expensive. Also works great on AR bolt carriers and bolts.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I run Aeroshell 64/33 high-temp mil armorer grease on my guns, just a thin finger-applied layer on the bolt body, a little extra applied with a flux brush in the bolt release groove, and the bolt lugs & raceways (all contact points), but run everything else dry to avoid attracting dust/dirt. 👍🏼

You can buy it on Amazon, in 1oz jars. Is not overly expensive. Also works great on AR bolt carriers and bolts.
Cool Ill look into that stuff. Any reason not to just use a high quality automotive type grease like Redline high pressure ball joint grease or a cv grease? I got plenty of stuff like that around from working on off road vehicles. I cant imagine it being all that much different.

Cool Ill look into that stuff. Any reason not to just use a high quality automotive type grease like Redline high pressure ball joint grease or a cv grease? I got plenty of stuff like that around from working on off road vehicles. I cant imagine it being all that much different.
Heat resistance and compounds will be different. I'd use actual weapon grease for best performance. Some of that other stuff can be too thick and get sticky with heat, and that's when problems start happening. Just my $0.02...

Heat resistance and compounds will be different. I'd use actual weapon grease for best performance. Some of that other stuff can be too thick and get sticky with heat, and that's when problems start happening. Just my $0.02...
Gotcha ok I’ll get some appropriate grease for the application then.

What brand scope are you using? Arken? I can't really tell from the photos.

...totally fucking with you. Looks like a fun build.
Sticker was there when I got it, Ill probably peel that off and get some different rings aswell. Thank you it was alot easier and quicker then any other weapons build Ive done.