Something different. 1914 Waverley Board Racer resto project.

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    The Waverley project is coming along well.
    This is an engine restoration project. The bike is a 1914 Waverley board racer owned by Lonnie Isam. -One of the most iconic names around when it comes to vintage motorcycles.
    🙂

This thing runs on alky and nitromethane believe it or not.
    That is just too cool.
    One of the crank case halves is a total mess. It's riddled with cracks and porosity from folks attempting to fix it over the years.
    Were gonna try and give it a face lift. The piece I'm making is a plug that'll be held into the case with screws. 29 of em to be exact. Just waiting on the taps to arrive this morning. (4-40)
    We'll then machine the case for it and assemble. Final step will be trimming off the slug and blending to the case line.
    Cool stuff. Jobs like this rekindle the spark that drew me to this stuff almost 30 years ago.

Edit. I get asked why we didn't just make an entirely new case halve. The guys that own this stuff are a quirky bunch. Repairing an original part is often considered to be far more acceptable than just replicating it. This opinion has significant impact on the value of the finished piece. This bike ought to fetch somewhere between $125,000 and $150,000 once completed. We've got a pair of old Harley Hill Climb bikes next door that are in the $250,000 range. The price people pay for these things is nothing short of impressive.

In 2010 I worked on a 1909 HD Chicago Police motorcycle owned by John Parham, founder of J/P Cycles. It was 100% original down to the tires and inner tubes. When I got it to backfire the value went from $385,000 to half a million.

CRAZY. lol.

1610726217216.png

1610726160574.png

1610726169742.png

1610726182625.png

1610726190976.png

1610726200969.png

Last edited:
    Pretty cool, one of my suppliers is into restoring old Italian racing bikes (pedal power).

has really cool pics.

hell, if I had that equipment I’d be making AR uppers or lowers as fast possible...could prob pay off the house in 3 weeks the way firearms are selling ...lol

I have my grandpa's old Schwinn bicycle that I stripped down to restore. Then I got the idea to do a bicycle version of a boardtrack racer. So I flipped the bars and dropped the seat and the lines looked really cool. So that has been my plan for a while, I just haven't started it yet.

Very nice work! I did a ‘10 Harley a few years ago and in the process converted from coil ignition to geared Bosch mag. Much better. So I feel your pain on the timing cover restoration.

Currently have a 1911 triumph under restoration. Comparing the two is interesting. Harley is agricultural. And Huge! The Triumph is tiny. Delicate. Tons of beautiful little engineering features. Every part made by Hobbits.

The pair are the perfect examples of the difference between American and European design and building philosophies. And both are amazing!!!

Your Waverly is an incredible project and a tough one. Not much in parts or info or support network... so you get massive extra credit for taking that on. Spectacular job so far.

Hit me up if you ever want to compare notes on ole bike stuff. And thanks for posting. Best thread I’ve seen all week! Guns, bikes, watches, cars, clocks, models... we are all acolytes in the cult of precision. There are few better callings!

Cheers,

sirhr

If you get a chance to visit Maggie Valley NC stop in the Wheels Through Time museum. Go early because you can spend hours in the place. Dale and his son often start up the old bikes and ride them around inside. Dale is a great guy and so is the staff there.

Reactions: Maxwell