• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Spent SK Long Range Casing Crumpled

VFL1911

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2024
USA
For the first time yesterday, I noticed my SK long range casings were looking crumpled like this every 15-20 shots. They wouldn’t eject properly and would get hung up in the magwell area and I’d have to dump them out sideways.

Shooting a Cz 457 with Lilja barrel.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause of this? What was most interesting as it was only happening on the SKLR, I tested it with SK match and Eley. Couldn’t get it to repeat the problem. Concerned this might be a headspace issue somehow? But wasn’t sure given the SKRM and SKLR should have similar rim thickness.
IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

Thing is, if this occurred prior to firing the case would have had to dig deeply into the lead bullet for that to happen. If that could have occurred, upon firing, that bullet would have straightened the case back out as it exited. This occurred post ignition during the exit journey, not sure why it is exclusive to SKLR though.

Going to be out again to the range later this week and will report back, as I will have more time to observe the issue and see what I was notice before, during, and after ignition on this issue.

To be honest I didn’t notice this ahead of time and it only occurred 2-3x. I picked up the casing the last time around and snapped this photo as I only shot a 50 round box of SKLR before leaving as I was at the range testing out the new Eley Ultra Long Range.

Thanks for all the great hypothesis. Will report back.

Double check that the extractor and tensioner can both move. A fellow competitor had similar issues caused from not cleaning the bolt fully. Once these were unstuck and cleaned his 457 went back to properly feeding, extracting and ejecting.