• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Spotting Scope Mounting Solutions?

JohnnyC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2007
Under a big tent. Seriously.
I've got the Leupold Mk4 spotter. I'm looking for a way to integrate with with a PLRF in kind of a co-witness fashion. I realize that it will be impossible to "zero" the laser to the TMR reticle in the spotter, just get it close so I don't have to spend a ton of time trying to find the target in the PLRF's reticle. I'll also be picking up either a CNVD-LR or a PVS-27 in a couple months and would like to put it in front eventually.

Here's my issue, LaRue doesn't sell their SPOTR to lowly civilians, neither does McRee with their MODSPOT. Is the Ashbury Precision stuff available? I'm thinking I can make a TIM-17 work with the SSAR. They also make a laser range finder mount sort of thing that adapts tripod mount screw to picatinny and has adjustable elevation.

I'd appreciate anybody that can steer me in the right direction. This will go on a manfrotto with the ball head for easy adjustment.

Re: Spotting Scope Mounting Solutions?

Ashbury kit is available, I picked up mine through Cory Trapp of Gunsite. I run a Ashbury TACT3-QEL tripod with a TIM for my Mark 4.

I set up something similar with my Leica LRF (one day to be replaced by a Vectronix PLRF).

I used a readily available PVS-14 weapon mount to convert the 1/4-20 to picatinny which you can then mount on the top rail of a TIM or TIM-17. You will have to grind a small indexing nub off of the mount to get the LRF to sit flat. (Look at the link below and you'll see what I'm talking about)

http://tnvc.com/shop/usgi-pvs-14-weapon-mount/

With this setup there's obviously no elevation adjustment to set up a true co-witness but it will get you in the ballpark. It makes it easy to transition from one tool to the next while having both on a single stable platform.

Make sure you have a solid head on your tripod as stacking devices makes the weight and center of gravity rise quickly. There may be other solutions out there but this is a cheap way to stick a LRF on top of the TIM.

to pair in perfect cowitnees you can use this Ashbury mount

APOmount.jpg

some mounting solutions

LL.jpg

ash.jpg

Mspotter.jpg

DavideASBI1.jpg

DASBI.jpg

CoryV.jpg

Can you tell us more about picture 2?
On the spotter 60 (picture 3) do you mount the plrf directy on the picatinny's spotter. No extra mount needed, is that correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to pair in perfect cowitnees you can use this Ashbury mount

APOmount.jpg

some mounting solutions

LL.jpg

Mspotter.jpg

</div></div>

Do you have a photo of your setup with LRF?
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jfernandez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashbury kit is available, I picked up mine through Cory Trapp of Gunsite. I run a Ashbury TACT3-QEL tripod with a TIM for my Mark 4.

I set up something similar with my Leica LRF (one day to be replaced by a Vectronix PLRF).

I used a readily available PVS-14 weapon mount to convert the 1/4-20 to picatinny which you can then mount on the top rail of a TIM or TIM-17. You will have to grind a small indexing nub off of the mount to get the LRF to sit flat. (Look at the link below and you'll see what I'm talking about)

http://tnvc.com/shop/usgi-pvs-14-weapon-mount/

With this setup there's obviously no elevation adjustment to set up a true co-witness but it will get you in the ballpark. It makes it easy to transition from one tool to the next while having both on a single stable platform.

Make sure you have a solid head on your tripod as stacking devices makes the weight and center of gravity rise quickly. There may be other solutions out there but this is a cheap way to stick a LRF on top of the TIM.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So for a Leupold spotter there are only 2 solutions? Ashbury or Badger? </div></div>

As far as mounting multiple things it sure seems so.

The "mil/leo only" thing is bullshit, as I think the LaRue roll cage would be close to perfect without any unnecessary adapters, but the unwashed masses clearly are not qualified. Whatever, I'd rather vote with my wallet. Same for the McRee, but from what I can see the McRee is super simple and would require a bunch more stuff to really make it functional anyway. Bottom of the list to begin with.

After considering it, I thing the Ashbury is going to be the way to go. The TIM-17 and the SSAR will allow me to mount the spotter with room for a clip-on out front. Putting the PLRF on top with the adapter, using the PVS-14 adapter when necessary, will get me NV capability both spotting and ranging. The way the TIM-17 interfaces with the tripod mount it looks like it will work upright or inverted. Inverted would work best for the PLRF. It also will work with the Manfrotto with the 322RC2 ball head or low to the ground with something like the Sniper Ops Tactical Tripod.

I should add that my issue with the Badger Ordnance mount, which would actually work well, is that you fasten it around the objective. I've got a scope cover on my spotting scope, and would rather be able to leave it all attached and still have the scope protected. With the Badger, I'd have to pull it from the mount all the time.

APO sells to civilians as indicated by a message I received, I think I'm gonna end up ordering the Ashbury stuff. Hey, it may just be toys to me, but my money is as good as anyone's and I'll spend it with those who are willing to take it.

for a pic 2 ask to Lowlight...pic 3 is a custom larue mount direct to a spotter 60 picatinny..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you tell us more about picture 2?
On the spotter 60 (picture 3) do you mount the plrf directy on the picatinny's spotter. No extra mount needed, is that correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to pair in perfect cowitnees you can use this Ashbury mount

APOmount.jpg

some mounting solutions

LL.jpg

Mspotter.jpg

</div></div> </div></div>

jp67: Here's my current setup

photo2yf.jpg

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Leupold Mark IV Spotter[*]Leupold 60MM ARD[*]Tenebraex LSU Polarizer[*]PVS-14 Mount[*]Manfrotto 323 Quick Release Adapter (under LRF Plate)[*]Ashbury TACT3-SEL[*]Ashbury TIM[*]Precision Rifle Solutions LRF Adapter[*]L8N Tactical Spotting Scope Cover[/list]

Works well enough for now. Eventually, I would like to upgrade the LRF for a Vectronix at some point and eliminate the PRS plate for a more secure mounting solution.