Spotting scope options for 300 yard shooting

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm looking to buy a new spotting scope as I've just joined a new range with 300 yards (up from 200 where I shot previously). Currently I have a Bushnell Legend HD 12-36x50mm model which worked pretty well for bench shooting with its mini bi-pod.

Unfortunately at 300 yards I can't really see my .223 bullet holes. I'd also like to have a reticule if possible but I know the choices are rather limited there.

One model I am interested in is the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60mm but wasn't sure if the extra 4x mag would be enough to let me see those bullet holes. Also, if possible I'd like to avoid the 80mm objective lens models as they're quite a bit bulkier to handle and probably not suitable for table top placement.

If anyone has experience with the Mark 4, please let me know if it will be sufficient for daytime bench shooting at 300 yards or feel free to suggest some other models in that price range.

Thanks!

Re: Spotting scope options for 300 yard shooting

Nobody has any spotting scope suggestions?
frown.gif

I have a Redfield Rampage I think is't called. 60X resolves well and it was a decent price. The tripod it came with was pretty crappy but the glass isn't that bad, and it's made by Leupold. i think it was around $200

I had the Leupold Sequoia 15-45x60mm and for the price it was a great scope. I only used it for .308 and .338LM @ 300 yards, seeing shots were not an issue. I recently upgraded to the Vortex Razor spotting scope w/MIL reticle but it's an 85mm and much larger than the Sequoia.

Things to consider: unless you're using splatter targets (Shoot-N-C), the farther the distance, the more difficult it will be to spot holes in paper. I normally use splatter targets, so I'm only guessing here, but 300-400yd might be the best you could hope to see holes in plain paper under even the best of conditions. If you use the splatter targets, 400-500 is about the best I've done with .223 holes using a Vortex Razor spotting scope (20-60x85), which has very good glass.

One of the problems you may run into with increasing mag is mirage. I find that although my spotter will go to 60X, it simply isn't feasible to use it on that mag at 600 yd due to the mirage at my range. It's actually much easier to see the holes on around 30X. Of course, that is using splatter targets and .308 rounds. Your best bet is to check out a few different scopes at your range if you can and determine what you can or can't see before buying. Alternatively, if you have a Cabelas or similar outdoor/sporting goods store near you, they may have a decent selection you can actually look through before buying. Good luck!

Nice Vortex spotting scope! That's my thought as well, that a 80mm lens or larger scope with upto 60x zoom might not be needed. I agree about the mirage statement. Even at 70-80 degrees at 36x I can see a good helping of it that's why I didn't feel I needed anything larger than 45x on 60mm lens. It could keep the overall package small enough so it would fit on a table instead of a full height tripod. The Shoot-N-C targets would also probably be required to even have a chance to see at that distance. Wasn't sure if 40x tho would cut it at 300 yards.

I'm heading to PA this weekend and will check out Cabelas or Gander Mountain if I have time. Since my shooting is so rigid and set at 200-300 yards it would be great if someone could just definitively tell me "YES, that's the same type of shooting I do, 300 yards and can see those 'lil holes with XXX model scope."

Anyway, thanks to all that responded. I guess at this point I will need try them out myself and bring them to the range.

The reticle is the tough part, because it limits your options. I've peeped through almost every scope on the market. I'm not a fan of Vortex but out to 200 yards I can see a .22 hole with one. I know this because I owned a 60x Vortex. I've had Bushnells, Bausch & Lombs (junk), Vortex, Leupold mark 40x. I'm now using a 75x Nikon Fieldscope. It wasn't my first choice but it was the best that I could afford. I paid around 1700.00 new for the Nikon and I can just barely can see a 6.5mm hole out to 500 yards on a cold crisp day. I can easily see a .22 hole at 300 yards on all but the warmest days. There is such a huge difference in spotting scopes once you breach that $2000.00 barrier. Side by side at the same magnification my Nikon and Bushnell are worlds apart. It's literally a Kia to Mercedes difference. Once you get into the Zeiss and Leica you are at the Ferrari level, but your going to pay over $3000.00 for the clarity and brightness their fluoride scopes provide. My favorite scope is the Kowa brand. Their high line I think is best in the world. Recently however I looked through a moderately priced Celestron and was really impressed by the picture. It was good really good. I hate to say it but it was close with my 3 times the price Nikon. With spotters clarity and brightness are the key ingredients in my opinion.
To touch on the Leupold. I only use Leupold scopes. I do believe they make the finest rifle scope in the world. I have 6 Leupold's and they're all fixed power scopes. That being said I didn't like the spotter. I had the Mark 4. It had a large field of view, was compact and it's made in America. I'm sure reasons taken into account when our military chose them for observation. On the firing line however, for benchrest they just don't have enough magnification. The Mark4 is bright, has a large field of view, and excels at picking up bullet wake. It's excellent for what it's designed for. I have a fixed power 45x Leupold competition scope that in my opinion can see better than any spotter at any magnification priced under $12-1300.00.

If you are going to shoot at 300 or less get some 6 or 8 inch Shoot n See targets. Consider spending your money on a better scope and with that combination you should clearly see your shoots at 300 unless it is a really nasty day. Just a suggestion for you.....

If you have made up your mind to buy a spotting scope, I can recommend the Kowa TSN-660.

At 200 yards I can see .223 holes with 32X, even in bad light.

At 500 yards, I can't see anything of the 7mm holes. I get in the vehicle and drive to the target.

I only do the 500 yards one day a year, the day before hunting. So I am not going to put a spotting scope into the mix of my out of control hoarding.

If you're looking for best of best this probably isn't it but for value I couldn't find anything better than Konus Konuspot Spotting Scope 7120, 20-60x, 80mm. At 300, probably still going to have a hard time seeing holes on regular target. On any of the marking targets you'll be good beyond 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hong Kong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reticle is the tough part, because it limits your options. I've peeped through almost every scope on the market. I'm not a fan of Vortex but out to 200 yards I can see a .22 hole with one. I know this because I owned a 60x Vortex. I've had Bushnells, Bausch & Lombs (junk), Vortex, Leupold mark 40x. I'm now using a 75x Nikon Fieldscope. It wasn't my first choice but it was the best that I could afford. I paid around 1700.00 new for the Nikon and I can just barely can see a 6.5mm hole out to 500 yards on a cold crisp day. I can easily see a .22 hole at 300 yards on all but the warmest days. There is such a huge difference in spotting scopes once you breach that $2000.00 barrier. Side by side at the same magnification my Nikon and Bushnell are worlds apart. It's literally a Kia to Mercedes difference. Once you get into the Zeiss and Leica you are at the Ferrari level, but your going to pay over $3000.00 for the clarity and brightness their fluoride scopes provide. My favorite scope is the Kowa brand. Their high line I think is best in the world. Recently however I looked through a moderately priced Celestron and was really impressed by the picture. It was good really good. I hate to say it but it was close with my 3 times the price Nikon. With spotters clarity and brightness are the key ingredients in my opinion.
To touch on the Leupold. I only use Leupold scopes. I do believe they make the finest rifle scope in the world. I have 6 Leupold's and they're all fixed power scopes. That being said I didn't like the spotter. I had the Mark 4. It had a large field of view, was compact and it's made in America. I'm sure reasons taken into account when our military chose them for observation. On the firing line however, for benchrest they just don't have enough magnification. The Mark4 is bright, has a large field of view, and excels at picking up bullet wake. It's excellent for what it's designed for. I have a fixed power 45x Leupold competition scope that in my opinion can see better than any spotter at any magnification priced under $12-1300.00. </div></div>

yikes, you think leupold makes the best scopes in the world? i think they fit right in the middle of the pack. its weird how people see scopes so differently. i think its eye sight more than anything, everyone is different. the vortex viper pst's ive shot with have blown any leupold ive ever used out of the water. nightforce is even better. thats not even getting into the really, really clear glass from zeiss, swarovski, etc (depending on the model).

spotting scopes are tough because you have to weigh how much its really worth it to you. frankly, anything above $1000 seems like a waste of money to me at 300 yards. 300 yards is close enough that even lower end spotting scopes will be clear enough you can see holes, the main issue with the lower ends at those ranges are eye relief. its impossible to find the right spot to see clearly. for 300 yards anything from leupold and up should service you just fine, with bushnell and nikon probably being very useful as well. for leisure 300 yard shooting i wouldn't spend more than $400. better off putting anything more than that into a better rifle scope.

im a fan of vortex but their spotter scopes are only so so. i figured with their very clear glass on rifle scopes, especially for the price, that their spotting scopes would be out of this world. not so. they are good and solid, but nothing special. the razor is a different story but then you are spending so much that you could really buy many other brands that would be comparable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to buy a new spotting scope as I've just joined a new range with 300 yards (up from 200 where I shot previously). Currently I have a Bushnell Legend HD 12-36x50mm model which worked pretty well for bench shooting with its mini bi-pod.

Unfortunately at 300 yards I can't really see my .223 bullet holes. I'd also like to have a reticule if possible but I know the choices are rather limited there.

One model I am interested in is the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60mm but wasn't sure if the extra 4x mag would be enough to let me see those bullet holes. Also, if possible I'd like to avoid the 80mm objective lens models as they're quite a bit bulkier to handle and probably not suitable for table top placement.

If anyone has experience with the Mark 4, please let me know if it will be sufficient for daytime bench shooting at 300 yards or feel free to suggest some other models in that price range.

Thanks! </div></div>

you know, as an aside, you may want to consider a rangefinder with tripod mount if you are spending a decent amount of money. for one thing, they can be very small and easy to carry, but also mountable, some have reticles and some are powered enough to probably be able to see the color change targets. additionally, youd have a range finder. i don't know, just a suggestion. 10x mag might not be enough for you but i can tell on the color changers. i have very good eye sight though so maybe that has something to do with it, who knows.

You pretty much can't beat a Konus-Spot 60 for the price and its likely the best bang-for-the-buck out there. I typically set up multiple targets at 400, 600, and 850 and have yet to find a circumstance where its weak, and I've looked through high $$ spotters side-by-side with it and I'm amazed at the glass quality and field of view. If it had one down side I'd have to say lack of eye relief but you cound argue that too much eye reliefe on a spotter is a detriment. It's easy to live without a reticle in a spotter since you already have one on your rifle.

I use a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85. Was out this past weekend shooting, and clearly identifying, shots at 500 yards on splatter targets. If the conditions are right I can see 30 cal holes on regular white paper at the same distance. It's a touch hit-or-miss with mirage, sun, etc. I've put my Razor next to much more expensive Swarovski scopes and not been able to see holes at much further distances. You should be able to identify 22 cal holes on most, non-black, targets out to 300 with this scope. Black paper targets are tricky even at short distances. I'm actually looking at wireless camera and video screen receivers now. Technology is simple and for about half the cost of a solid spotting scope you can have a video screen that shows you exact bullet placement regardless of distance, target color/paper, mirage, etc.

I'll toss my two cents in the hat.

I'm using a Kowa with an 82mm lens. Not the current model, the one just before it.

at 200 I can see .224 unless I'm on the shaded end of the range at the end of the day and complicated with a little humidity or mirage. .30 cal holes are no problem.

At 300 the mirage can be problematic even on an otherwise good day as far as lighting. If the mirage is bad, not much will fix that kind of optical distortion. This is where the shootnc's help out.

My pal has a high end zeiss. My Kowa is a bit less expensive and nearly the twin optically to my eye. In fact I think his is too blue tinted.

i was going to ask a similar question. i have a 20-60 konus. just seems that i might get a little better performance if i upped the $ some. there are 3 i have looked at: an alpin,bushnell,even a barska. the bushnell is a known co. heard of barska problems once they went to china. i am looking in the $300-500 range. at that level the low end kowas don't fare too well in the limited reviews i have seen. top end (>$1000) different story. any scource of reviews? any knowledge of these or other <$500 scopes? am thinking 20-60. would like to see 22 holes in white paper @ at least 200.

Great info from eveybody. I'm actually looking to get the Pentax PF-65EDA model. It is relatively small and light, accepts 1.25" astronomy telescope eyepieces, and has ED type glass for a reasonable price.

Only problem is the standard 20-60x XF eyepiece has relatively low eye relief (11mm@ 60x). I might get the eyepiece that comes with the 80mm version for it (16-49x). This magnification range should be sufficient to see holes at 300 yards.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/203119-USA/Pentax_70509_SMC_8_24mm_Zoom_Eyepiece.html

If anyone has tried this combo of using the Pentax 80mm spotting scope's eyepiece in the smaller 65mm version let me know your impressions.

Musef, according to the specs at link you posted, that eyepiece will work with any Pentax scope. BTW, I haven't priced or seen reviews on spotters in several years, but it used to be that the Pentax scopes were the "diamond in the rough"; quality rivalling the Kowa/Zeiss/Swaro scopes at a price of several hundred dollars less.

Awesome, i found a good deal for that 80mm Pentax eye piece. I was worried since the focal length was different on the different models it may be a problem. It seems the 8-24mm piece is quite a bit wider in view than the XF series that nomally designed for the 65mm.

By the way the Bushnell is a great scope imo, except the desktop tripod tends to be a little undersized for handling the scope's weight. Does not feel very stable and starts moving even light winds while on the table.

I have taken some digital pictures using it of the moon and the results came out better than expected.

I needed a cheap spotter a few years ago so I picked up a Konus 20-60x80 and I am actually pretty happy with it for the low price. Obviously it isn't as clear as the high-end scopes, but you get what you pay for. I have looked through quite a few low-end spotting scopes (<$1k) and I am still happy with my purchase.

Images seem clear and crisp, color distortion is low and mirage is only bad if you keep the mag cranked all the way up.

80mm objective - This is the model I own, I believe they also have a 60mm objective as well.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html
http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

As a follow-up to my original post, I ended up buying that Pentax PF-65ED spotting scope along with a fixed SMC XW 10mm eyepiece which is 39x on that model. It is the first fixed eyepiece I have ever owned and the view is amazing. The sheer size of it almost makes the eyepiece look too big for the scope but it still is able to balance well on the tabletop Alpen tripod I purchased.

I didn't go for the standard XF eyepieces simply because I heard the XW models were better as they're made for the 80mm spotting scopes traditionally with 10 degree wider field of view. The only thing I don't like about the 39x is that it can take a little effort getting acquired to my target picture due to the magnification.

Anyway, it serves the purposes I had wanted it for. It is enough magnification to see bullet holes upto 250 yards without Shoot'n'c targets and at 300 yards I can either use them or shoot at my metal spinning targets where the mark left is also visible at that distance. Overall this package was less than $1,000 even cheaper than the original Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope I was considering.