Spotting Scope or Binoculars (and tripod)

eberryhill

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2024
Oklahoma City
I'm a new PRS shooter as was looking for either a spotting scope or binoculars, preferably with range finding capabilities. At the first, and only, match I competed in, I enjoyed looking through binos over the spotting scopes probably because of the field of view and it was more comfortable.

Lastly, is it necessary to buy an RRS tripod for spotting and shooting, or can I easily get away with something cheaper?

Money isn't an issue but I'd rather not pay the premium for Swaros if the Vortex Fury's will provide the same capabilities even if the glass is lower quality. Same goes for the tripod as well.

side note: I have a heavy background in USPSA where I gear chased like crazy. I know it's much more prevalent in PRS but I'm trying to avoid it if possible.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Thank you!

I use vortex AB rangefinder binoculars. I can see most impact except for maybe the 1000 with a dasher or something. But I am blind in one eye.
I use a bog tripod for spotting and it works just fine. Problem has become the time has come for me to learn to use the tripod for support. The bog just isn’t up to the task ( legs like to close). Now I’m looking at another tripod and trying to decide on a leofoto or red mist. I should have just done that to begin with. I will end up spending more and/ or carrying two tripods.

Reviews still forthcoming but i think the vectroix x are going to be so good for PRS shooting you will regret anything else.

Leofoto tripod would be a place to find some value that will get close to RRS at a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: Conqueror
I've shot a lot of USPSA over the years and then started into PRS. I've gotten much more into the gear for PRS than I was into USPSA gear. I stayed in production and carry optics but never got into limited or open.

I used a spotting scope for a lot of matches, but I'm probably in the minority. I have a vortex with a fixed zoom and a mil reticle spotting scope. The quality of glass becomes much more important in trying to resolve detail and even more important for low light. I'm happy with my vortex razor spotter for PRS. However, for hunting the quality of a Swarovski becomes clear trying to judge at last light.

I've used both Two Vets and Feisol tripod, both have given me plenty of stability and I'm comfortable using either.

I’d say the tripod tier list goes RRS > two vets > fatboy. I own a RRS and enjoy it but I’d love to have a two vets or fatboy to test out.

I’d recommend binos over a spotter cause you could use them for multi purpose.

I’d say go to a few more matches before you pull the trigger on anything and get a better idea of what you like. I made the mistake of buying a whole rig and now I’m trying to get lighter gear.

I started with 15x56 Meopta binos but I've moved to a M151 Leupold spotter that I would much rather have. The extra magnification allows you to see in greater detail at longer range targets IMO and the reticle allows you to study target size fir wind calls. Reticle in anything you choose is mandatory IMO.