• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Spotting Scopes- Advice Please

Cbmax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
New Jersey
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good spotting scope 20-60X80 for $500 or less? Anyone have experience with The Vortex Nomad or Celstron Ultima?

Which is preferred, straight or 45 degree angle eye piece? I will be shooting from a bench or prone.

CB

Re: Spotting Scopes- Advice Please

The 45deg. is nice for shooting off a bench or tripod. I was originally going with that type, but since I use it in the field also, the straight seemed a better choice. It is easier to ballpark line up on a distant target, since you can sight over the top to get the approx. line of sight. This is more difficult with the 45deg, especially if you are offhand (hunting). I would ask the store to let you take one outside and try to sight in on a distant target - that was the drawback for me on the 45. If you are just shooting off of a bench, it probably isn't that big of a deal.

When was looking, I found out quickly to watch for the eye relief. I tried some lower line Nikon and Leupold and found I basically had to jam my eye into the eyepiece at higher ranges.

Haven't tried either of those spotters out, so can't help you there (I have a B&L HDR).

Good luck

I have a boat load of spotting scopes with lots of experience in matches. The reason I mention that is that my opinion has changed over the years.

The Bushnell started it off. The lenses unscrewed and once I opened the case at a match and the whole objective lens housing was laying loose in the case. I gave it to my lady and she still uses it.

Went to a Kowa 821 20-60x variable. I figured if I got the best it would be perfect. While snob appeal was #1 with this scope there were some problems. The huge objective lens brought in a lot of light but it wasn't important to see one or two targets on each side of mine in a match! The field of view on the scope was way too much and very distracting!

Went to another name brand but reasonable scope and it worked very well. I still have it but it sits at home most of the time.

Bought a <span style="font-weight: bold">Harbor Freight</span> scope and it's the one I use all the time. It was about $50, is 20-60x, angular eyepiece and has a swivel so the scope and eyepiece position can rotate higher or lower. This scope works great and I don't need to sweat leaving $1000 worth of Kowa laying around at a match.

Yes...45 degree eyepiece is essential. I had one that was a straight eyepiece position and swapped it off immediately. You must bring your body around to see into the eyepiece. It may as well be located conveniently!

Also please consider a scope that will turn on it's mount to allow the eyepiece to swivel higher or lower. You won't regret that. The Harbor Freight and the KOWA both do that but for a price difference of about $900.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Flash

Thank you for the advice.

I ended up buying a Celestron Regal F-ED is 20x60x80. For the time being I have it mounted on an inexpensive Vortex table top tripod. This scope has the eyepiece on a 45 degree angle and the whole body rotates 180 degrees. This is a great feature as I think it will make it very simple to come off your rifle scope and look into the spotter with minimal movement. I spent a little more than I wanted to ($645 for spotter and tripod including tax), but I think I got some great features. The scope has ED glass. It has a removable eyepiece, so I can swap it for different powers. It will also allow you to attach a digital camera should you desire. I used the scope at the store and it seemed very clear and bright with little distortion at the edges on 60X. I will report back further once I get it to the range.

CB