SPR-ish build on Sun Devil Mfg reciever set?

shooterman_zero17

WTB: The OG Shoutbox
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2007
    The Dirty South
    After the stock for the Manners GB on my CZ 452 shows up, and i tweak a few things here and there, I'm pretty much committed to doing an SPR-style build. I keep coming back to this style of AR, and after handling a 3-Gun geared AR built around a Sun Devil upper and lower, and doing some research on them, I consult the unending knowledge and experience of the 'Hide to humor my question:

Has anyone done an SPR-styled build based on an Sun Devil upper/lower set? Is there any real particular reason to avoid their products or favor another receiver set over these?? Is the rear tension screw on the lower really an effective feature on the fitment between the upper and lower??

For inquiring minds, I plan on using, for the big shit:
    -WOA 18" SPR Barrel (Rifle Length) & headspaced bolt
    -Magpul UBR
    -Midwest Industries 15" SS Series Handguard
    -DPMS Lower Parts Kit
    -Topping it with a SS 3-9, probably in a ADM mount.

I know I will be advised to go with a decent trigger, and I have every intent to do so after I initially complete the build.

If anybody wants to comment and elaborate here on Charging Handles and Bolt Carriers, as well as the pros and cons of any certain Buffer and Spring setup, by all means, feel free to. But I have seen many references to these topics in other threads and will search for what I need to regards to those things.

I'm planning on this being a fun rifle. I want to learn the nuances of these rifles and become a somewhat proficient shooter with a precision-geared AR platform.

Thank you in advance.

Please be harsh if necessary.
    grin.gif

Re: SPR-ish build on Sun Devil Mfg reciever set?

I've seen and used the DPMS LPK and in my opinion they're not nearly as good as other options available.

G&R
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=kits
    White Oak
    http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=2103

And at very least get a RRA National Match trigger. Preferably get some form of Geisselle trigger.

BCM Bolt Carrier has been working wonderfully in many of my builds.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-...20auto%20mp.htm

For a Rifle length gas, Hbuffer really isn't needed, but that's what I use in one of my rifle length gas system builds.

BCM Gunfighter is the best charging handle I've used.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFI...d%204%20556.htm

On the other hand, I shoot my SPR's suppressed and I've had the best luck with the PRI gasbuster while ALSO using the charging handle RTV mod. This pretty much equals no gasface. Gasbuster by itself is better than nothing and RTV mod by itself is about the same as a PRI by itself, but both combined are pretty much perfection.

I have a very early sundevil lower that doesn't have the tension screw. Surprisingly it fits pretty sloppy on all my uppers. I do have rear tension screws on other lowers and they work okay. Still if the front lug has side to side play you can only really get rid of that if you put an oring around the front lug. Or if you get a properly fitting upper to lower fit. The nicest upper I've used is the Vltor MUR.

Here's a couple of my SPR's

SPR_2nd.jpg

SPR_Suppressed.jpg

I use a lot of Sun Devil Mfg products and find them to be a great value. I have also spent a lot of time at their shop so I can attest to the quality in which they are manufactured. Our local Sherriff ordered 28 Sun Devil AR's for their officers.

The only problem I have encountered with any Sun Devil products is the standard uppers wont work with certain handguards (DD light rails, JP V-Tac) due to their thick walls. Sun Devil offers a profiled upper that is machined in the front to fit these rails. The LaRue locking mechanism won't fit on their uppers, but they work just fine without the locking piece.

Their website is really lacking, but they have some cool stuff they don't have listed, such as an integrated trigger guard. You might want to also consider a Lothar Walther barrel; they last forever, are accurate, and are fairly inexpensive and available through Sun Devil. I have a couple WOA barrels, and they are excellent as well.

The tensioning set screw is nice to take up the play between the upper and lowers if that bothers you. It's one of those things I adjust when I assemble the rifle and forget about after. There are a ton of other manufacturers that have this feature...........I can think of two other manufacturers here in Arizona alone.

I would skip the DPMS parts kit and buy one from Palmetto State Armory. Their kits use much nicer pieces and will come with your choice of grip and trigger. Their factory LPK trigger is much nicer than any DPMS I have seen. Throw in a JP trigger spring set and a set screw through the pistol grip to take up the pretravel and creep, and you will have a nice single stage trigger.

Don't waste money on any special bolt carriers or buffers.

I have a sundevil set, bought mostly for the teflon nickel finish (something different) it is nice quality upper and lower but nothing special for the $$ unless you really like the special colors. for an accurate AR my descending priority for where to put the money is

1 barrel
    2 trigger
    3 bolt
    4 scope
    5 upper
    6 stock
    7 grip
    8 lower
    9 float tube

Thanks for the replies thusfar. I just organized a trade for a Carbine-length AR with a Sun Devil lower with a 16" upper and FailZero BCG. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Edit:</span> Answered my question through some more research.</span>

Also, I plan on eventually shooting this rifle suppressed, and would like to use the OPSInc 12th Model Collar/Brake/Suppressor, if possible, on <span style="font-weight: bold">both</span> uppers. I'm assuming with the SPR barrel and 15" handguard there wouldn't be an issue with where the suppressor indexes on the collar. On the 16" barrel with 15" handguard, I'm betting this wouldn't work. Unless I went with a shorter handguard. Can anyone provide some input there??

I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go laying down the money on it. Measure two or three times, cut once, I suppose...

Not a sundevil, but here is a noveske barreled SPR on a VLTOR mur-1a billet upper and CMMG lower with the magpul trigger-guard. I'm waiting on my flip-sight gas block & SPR/PEQ rail from PRI and then it's pretty much done. It's not your average AR on the inside either, it has a hard chromed BCG from young mfg. and a giessele SSA trigger (amazing, worth every penny). If you like rails more, I ran a 14.0DD lite on this one before and it was also very nice. It was just short enough to clear a low pro gas block and the ops inc collar.

92ac63e5.jpg

I have a SunDevil lower and upper with tensioning screw, from around 2009 I think, which is fitted with the JP Rifles VTAC handguard. It fits fine. I did not order any specially machined upper for this, and even now, on the SunDevil sight, I see no mention of such a thing. But, yes, the website is terrible.

I bought once and cried once, with the $279 Geissele trigger I bought. It is the National Match model with very light pull, but performs so impressively that a long term benchrest shooter was rather shocked at how good it was.

- Phil

Just picked up the rifle today. When I finish assembling both uppers, I will install a Geiselle SSA. The 16" barrel is a Daniel Defense CHF 1:7. Just to see, I'll take it to 100 yards with glass on top and from prone. Kinda like a 'Recce' profile rifle. Gotta get a UBR and handguard and some odds and ends to find their way onto the rifle (parts) first. Then a range day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at the Samson Handguards.</div></div>

They are nice. I've handled an 18" build with a Samson Evolution, but I couldn't get over how small it felt diameter-wise. Just wasn't cutting the mustard. I'm more partial to a beefier handguard.