• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Springfield 2020 Waypoint, Weatherby Alpine CT, Christensen ELR. which one and why in 6.5 Creedmoor

dbensavage

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2020
Looking to buy a 6.5 Credmoor Bolt action. Want low weight, accuracy, and reliability. The 3 guns above seem to fit the bill and my price point. Any suggestions on one over the others.

Springfield Waypoints are hit-or-miss (pun intended) with accuracy...I'd steer-clear...For that kind of money, you can get a MUCH better rifle.

Weatherby is a shit company on life-support, that's living off a legacy at this point. I honestly don't know how they are still in business...Probably all the NRgAy supporter Boomer Fudds still buying them.

I have 5 Christensen Arms rifles, and they ALL shoot good. I did have one issue with an MPR in 6mm ARC, but their customer service and senior gunsmith took care of me. The rifle had some tolerance stacking issues, so they ended up just building me a whole new rifle, testing it, and then sending it back to me...About 4-6 weeks turnaround. I was happy with the experience, other than having to send a new rifle back, but in doing so, helped diagnose a potential problem before they built too many of them.

But if you want a nice light(ish) rifle on a better action than any of the above... Get an Aero Solus Hunter in 6.5CM, or build a custom off a Solus action, and a nice Proof CF prefit to keep things lightweight. You can typically catch the actions on sale for around $650-700 during holiday sales, and buy a nice Proof prefit for about $1,000, a TriggerTech Special on sale from EuroOptic for about $170, and a stock/chassis of your choice, and you're right there around what a Waypoint, MK-V, or ELR costs...But exactly how you want it, and MUCH higher quality, and a much greater chance of producing the accuracy and consistency you are wanting in a hunting rifle.

Reactions: dbensavage