• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Springfield M25 308 Tactical

Re: Springfield M25 308 Tactical

There was a post here awhile back that seems to now be gone.

Basically some guy was complaining that his Springfield white feather shot like crap compared to even a low end bolt gun. (which should have been obvious to begin with)

I also believe he had to send it back to springfield several times to get the thing to shoot right.

This thread isn't to compare or bash AR's or M25's. Like I said, I have one, shoots great. Not as accurate as an AR, but one of my favorite go to rifles ever. I have bolt guns that make AR's look stupid, but this post was asking about the M25.... so my opinion stands, if you find one reasonable, go for it. Springfield has it's problems too, like all others. Sometimes poor product, LOOOOONG lead times, etc ad nauseum. They are over burdened by too many people wanting their product. I say HIRE more people, LOL.

I have owned quite a few Springfield M1a's and have never had any issues with them. Some shoot great others have been ok. The supper matches have always grouped nicely (for an M1a) and the fit and finish was good. There are plenty of M1a's from Springfield at matches around the country and they do well.

I've only had one experience with an M-25. The particular gun was purchased by a gun collector friend of mine. He asked me to shoot it one afternoon. The result was not what was expected. Mustering all of my skill, I could not place all of my shots inside 2 inches at one hundred yards. I suspected, bedding was the issue; but, I did not have the opportunity to dig into it.

The national match are bedded. They are suppost to shoot good. The Super Match they say shoots 1/2 MOA. I don't know that since I haven't shot one. That is what the gun reads in the info part. 2 inches would be unacceptable for any gun in my book(hang a for sale on those guns). The M25 did not say that.here is what they wrote under the gun.

The Super Match M1A rifle embodies the most sophisticated development in gas gun technology. Capable of sub MOA accuracy with the proper ammunition, the Super Match is built for the individual who demands the very best. A truly custom gun, Springfield's latest proprietary development for the Super Match is the rear lugged receiver. Additional extraordinary features include an ultra heavy air gauged national match barrel, custom oversized op-rod guide and maximum dimension match grade stocks available in American walnut and McMillan fiberglass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The national match are bedded. They are suppost to shoot good. The Super Match they say shoots 1/2 MOA. I don't know that since I haven't shot one. That is what the gun reads in the info part. 2 inches would be unacceptable for any gun in my book(hang a for sale on those guns). The M25 did not say that.here is what they wrote under the gun.

The Super Match M1A rifle embodies the most sophisticated development in gas gun technology. Capable of sub MOA accuracy with the proper ammunition, the Super Match is built for the individual who demands the very best. A truly custom gun, Springfield's latest proprietary development for the Super Match is the rear lugged receiver. Additional extraordinary features include an ultra heavy air gauged national match barrel, custom oversized op-rod guide and maximum dimension match grade stocks available in American walnut and McMillan fiberglass.
</div></div>

The rifle I shot was the Carlos Hathcock model. Virtually every match-mod is present on this model, including bedding.

Some M1A's I've shot have given up results consistent with what would be expected/needed to be competitive at a high level of HP competition. Yet, the match conditioned commercial equivilant of the M16 A2 has so thoroughly eclipsed the M1A, very few M1A's are seen today in HP competition.

I would buy a PAI or GAP AR10 and save a bunch of money. I bet they will consistantly outshoot a supermatch, national match, or white feather. My friend bought a National match M1A, ive shot it a couple times and it shoots decent but not worth the almost $2000.000 dollars. He actually sent it back to Springfield Armory because it wouldnt group as well as he thought it should. My M1 Garand i got acutally shot about the same as his NM M1A. Ive only got 450.00 thought wrapped up in my Garand. Hes also got a standard Armalite AR10 with the 20" barrel and it outshoots it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would buy a PAI or GAP AR10 and save a bunch of money. I bet they will consistantly outshoot a supermatch, national match, or white feather. My friend bought a National match M1A, ive shot it a couple times and it shoots decent but not worth the almost $2000.000 dollars. He actually sent it back to Springfield Armory because it wouldnt group as well as he thought it should. My M1 Garand i got acutally shot about the same as his NM M1A. Ive only got 450.00 thought wrapped up in my Garand. Hes also got a standard Armalite AR10 with the 20" barrel and it outshoots it as well.</div></div>

The rifles you mention are not authorized for Service Rifle competition.

Spoke to Ron today. He is shipping me back my Crazy Horse conversion which I should have sometime next week. If you are still interested, PM me your email address and I will send you some pics and the groups the gun can shoot. I think you will be sold.

A few points about M14 based rifles. They usually have 2 stage triggers that need work, strike 1, they are tempermental on maintaining .5 MOA, strike 2, they have an ass whipping history as the replacement to the M1 Garand and are still preferred today by our troops in "shitty" situations. My point is, yes, an AR will out shoot them but I will still be buried with my M14. They are tough when the going gets tough.

I have always heard they are reliable when shit gets bad. It is kind of like a 1911. I would not be caught without it. It is very functional. I do like the ARs don't get me wrong but I think I wouldn't mind owning a Springfield. They have been proven through time. Would like to own one. M 25, Super, National Match. Don't know which one shoots better. Will have to do more reach before the buy.

The rifles you mention are not authorized for Service Rifle competition.

Neither is the M21 tactical, or M25 Whitefeather which was the rifle asked about in the orginal post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifles you mention are not authorized for Service Rifle competition.

Neither is the M21 tactical, or M25 Whitefeather which was the rifle asked about in the orginal post.</div></div>

One assumes when NM M1A is brought into the conversation that Service Rifle competition is in the picture, why even own one otherwise?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifles you mention are not authorized for Service Rifle competition.

Neither is the M21 tactical, or M25 Whitefeather which was the rifle asked about in the orginal post.</div></div>

One assumes when NM M1A is brought into the conversation that Service Rifle competition is in the picture, why even own one otherwise? </div></div>
Because they are actually FUN to shoot!