• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

sps tactical 308

Coaster

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Woodville , VA
I have tried 168 and 155 sierra match king. The 1 in 11 twist would make me think a lighter projectile would work better but it doesn't seem to be the case. I loaded them around 2700 fps and the 168 did better. I'm thinking of trying some 175s, but I am trying to save a little money, so does anyone have data on velocity stability on a 155 or a 168? 2700 matched my rapidz 1000 reticle very nicely as far as drop, but the windage was a little random...on a still day too. Am I loading too hot for the 20 inch barrel? Anyone with a little experience and some advice would be greatly appreciated. I have shot 1 inch groups at 400 yds with the 168s, just looking for a shortcut to some tight grouping loads...we shoot groundhogs on the 7600 acre cattle ranch I work for here in VA and a few coyotes...would love to get something going to make one of my co-workers jealous...he's got a 6mm br that is good out past 1000 yds. I'm not expecting the impossible, just want to make him question the custom 4000 dollar rifle a bit lol!

Re: sps tactical 308

I was running some 168 a-max over 44 of Ramshot Tac at approx 2734 fps out of my SPS tac. My remmy is 1:12 twist though, did Remington make 1:11 in the past? I was recommended this load from another site, and worked up some ladders to verify, my sweet spot was 43.9-44.4 gr and group loads were avg .6 moa @ 100. Velocity was right at what you had.

There really is no shortcut as every rifle is different. The one thing that will save you the most time IMO is do a ladder test. Start and min load and work up to max or when you start to see pressure signs in .2 grain increments. When you start to see a few rounds grouping together that will tell you what your rifle likes. Then do a few load workups on those that grouped well and see what seems to work the best for you.

Just my .02

Just another note for you, if you plan to shoot past 600 ditch the 168's. They really dont perform well at longer distances. My opinion is they dont perform as well as the 175's all around but there is no scientific evidence behind the not performing at shorter distances just the fact that I dont want to shoot two different loads and the 175's perform much better IMO

I started out shooting 168 and was getting beat you by the wind past 600 yards, went to 175 they buck the wind alot better. Then you can use a Field Density Altitude Compensator for your dope, makes it easy.

I love this site...thanks guys great info! I'll start working from the bottom up with my loads.
wink.gif
I'll definately try some 175s too. Past 600 is where I'm running into trouble so I'll look into it...thanks fellas.