Rifle Scopes Spuhr mount internal bubble level accuracy ?

Jack of spades

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2019
Good evening everyone I’m a new shooter so please Bear with me . I recently put together at tikka CTR with the Cadex chassis with one of their 20 moa Cadex rails, proceeded to square up the rail and the gun with torpedo level on the rail and a barrel level and I also put a small spirit bubble level in the back of the action. I proceeded to put my Spuhr mount on and squared up the bottom of the scope with there built in leveling tool and noticed that the internal bubble level wa of and so was the torpedo level on top of the razor HD 2 turret. Please help.

Evening,

The Spuhr level is in the mount so it will tell you when the rifle is level, not the position of the scope in the rings. I like the Spuhr tool and have found it accurate. I would not bother with a torpedo level as a final check. I use a bipod or tripod and fix the rifle level using the Spuhr bubble. Then I look through the scope (no touching the rifle) and use the cross hairs at longer distance looking at the edge of buildings, or if indoors, at a projected line from my laser level.

Rasyad

Evening,

The Spuhr level is in the mount so it will tell you when the rifle is level, not the position of the scope in the rings. I like the Spuhr tool and have found it accurate. I would not bother with a torpedo level as a final check. I use a bipod or tripod and fix the rifle level using the Spuhr bubble. Then I look through the scope (no touching the rifle) and use the cross hairs at longer distance looking at the edge of buildings, or if indoors, at a projected line from my laser level.

Rasyad
Makes a lot of sense thank you

My Spuhr mount bubble level is slightly off compared to an engineering level I used to double check. I would use the level / plumb line method to set up your scope to ensure the reticle is perfectly vertical.

My Spuhr mount was also slightly off we compared to a angle meter. As stated above, use a plumb bob or level against a wall to level the scope as compared to the rifle.

First you MUST make sure the base is level with the action or bedded. There are a lot of methods people use for that. Once that is complete, there are two issues that come into play. The issues are is the turret cap tracking and the stadia lines in line with each other. If so you can use the scope cap and a level to level the scope then check the tracking against a string/plumb bob at 50 yards to see if the tracking follows the line. I haven't had the issue yet but I have heard of scopes not having the reticle and the turret tracking match. There are a lot of guys on here that may have an easier method but I really like this since it gives me piece of mind. I follow it up with a box test of the scope and everything works fine.

First you MUST make sure the base is level with the action or bedded. There are a lot of methods people use for that. Once that is complete, there are two issues that come into play. The issues are is the turret cap tracking and the stadia lines in line with each other. If so you can use the scope cap and a level to level the scope then check the tracking against a string/plumb bob at 50 yards to see if the tracking follows the line. I haven't had the issue yet but I have heard of scopes not having the reticle and the turret tracking match. There are a lot of guys on here that may have an easier method but I really like this since it gives me piece of mind. I follow it up with a box test of the scope and everything works fine.
That’s taxman, never thought it could be Intricate, but it’s fun

All four of my Spuhrs are exactly the same, and indicate a tiny bit left cant when the action is actually vertical. The bubble on the mount will just touch the line on the right.

Disclaimer: this is merely my current opinion based on my limited testing.

I’ve played around with several rifles, levels, mounts, and scopes. That said, I’m currently of the belief that the only place where leveling matters is that your level is consistent with the reticle and optical tracking of the scope. Having finally made the switch to Spuhr, here’s my process:

Mount the scope, and using the Spuhr leveling tool, level the scope to the base.
Stick the scope on a rifle and shoot a tall target test to validate this.
Move scope to different rifle, repeat tall target test,
Move scope to different rifle (if available), repeat tall target test.

I’m not sure having perfect alignment to the action, rail, bore is overly necessary in regards to leveling. This is the compelling thing about the Sphur or similar mount; mount and level the optic once, move the system between guns.

Reactions: winxp_man
Far as I know, leveling a reticle has little to do with the rifle.

All you’re trying to do is level the reticle to the bubble level.

Simply put, run a plumb bob and level the reticle and the bubble level so they both match the plumb bob.

Whether the level is on the scope, Mount or rifle, as long as it matches the scope reticle you’re gtg.

My brain sucks and I naturally cant my rifle unless I have a clear horizon line. So if my rifle is level to earth, it would do nothing for me as I would be canted.

I know people that mount their scopes canted on purpose. When they get behind the rifle, rifle is canted but scope is level to gravity.

I’m guessing you can train everything to be level, but I don’t do this for a living so I haven’t the time so I depend on little crutches like bubble levels.