Rifle Scopes Spuhr Mounts- Scope Mounting

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I have two Spur mounts (4602, 3616) and I've read where they recommend using rosin between the rings and the scope. I've never used rosin on any of my other mounts before.
For those that have experience using Spuhr mounts is the rosin really required?

I don't think you "need" to use rosin. I use a thin layer of fine ground rosin powder in the ring halves and the ring base on my Spuhr mount mostly to protect the finish of my scope. When I removed the scope to send back for service I used a little alcohol to remove the rosin and there were no marks in the finish of the scope. I got my rosin from Amazon here.

Reactions: LG65CM
I don't think you "need" to use rosin. I use a thin layer of fine ground rosin powder in the ring halves and the ring base on my Spuhr mount mostly to protect the finish of my scope. When I removed the scope to send back for service I used a little alcohol to remove the rosin and there were no marks in the finish of the scope. I got my rosin from Amazon here.
How do you apply the Rosin and how much?

Reactions: LG65CM
I put some powder on my finger and sprinkle it on each half using my thumb and index finger. I use only enough to fill in the grooves in the halves and using my finger wipe off the excess. I just try to fill those voids in the halves. Hope that makes sense and helps.

I've got several pairs of Spuhr split rings on rifles, no glue, no rosin and I've had zero issues. If I could afford it, every rifle I own would rock Spuhr rings or mounts, maybe one day.

tenor.gif

I have two Spur mounts (4602, 3616) and I've read where they recommend using rosin between the rings and the scope. I've never used rosin on any of my other mounts before.
For those that have experience using Spuhr mounts is the rosin really required?

I've read this for some time in many threads. I use Spuhr on all my ARs. I have tried rosin. I have seen no benefit either on my AR15s or my AR10s.

I put some powder on my finger and sprinkle it on each half using my thumb and index finger. I use only enough to fill in the grooves in the halves and using my finger wipe off the excess. I just try to fill those voids in the halves. Hope that makes sense and helps.

I used my girlfriend’s eye makeup brush... powdered rosin on the bottom rings and then on top of the scope (p,acing the second half of the ring in place... torque to 22 ft lbs. I’ll be testing this weekend (308).

Attachments

• DC3D610B-5DE0-40EA-BC29-64D9E96E6E0B.jpeg
    DC3D610B-5DE0-40EA-BC29-64D9E96E6E0B.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 294D7C7A-CD93-4F3F-9415-EAF02C9BF3EB.jpeg
    294D7C7A-CD93-4F3F-9415-EAF02C9BF3EB.jpeg
    587.9 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: DustBun
I use rosin on every scope mount and have for a long time. I dust ring to scope main tube mating surfaces with powdered rosin using an small artist brush, like the ones we water colored with as grade schoolers. After dusting, I gently blow any excess off. Beside preventing slippage, rosin also hedges against ring marks. It cleans off with isopropyl alcohol.

So the best mount in the world now requires rosin? I’m confused, is this to prevent marring or to enhance grip?? I’ve never had a a scope slip in any brand of rings, or my Spuhr mount, when using the correct torque specs..but I’m not shooting a 20mm Vulcan either

So the best mount in the world now requires rosin? I’m confused, is this to prevent marring or to enhance grip?? I’ve never had a a scope slip in any brand of rings, or my Spuhr mount, when using the correct torque specs..but I’m not shooting a 20mm Vulcan either
Nobody is saying rosin is required with Spuhr mounts. It’s recommended to provide extra grip and to protect the scope finish if the end user so desires. I use it on any scope that will be outfitted to a rifle that will receive heavy abuse. This will either be my AXMC or my light weight, high recoiling magnum hunting rifles. Especially with a scope that has an extremely smooth finish going on a heavy recoiling rifle.

I’ve had a Gen 2 Razor slip in Badger Rings torqued to 20 in lbs on a lightweight 300 Win Mag. (It never slipped on a straight muzzle .308) Damaged the finish of the tube slightly. I thought that I hadn’t torqued them properly so I remounted it and after 50 rounds noticed it had moved again. Reinstalled with Rosin being the only difference and 450 rounds later, I haven’t had a single issue. This is the only one I’ve had slip and I’ve used Badger rings for years. Rosin was cheaper than new rings. This is simply my experience and why I use it.

Have I had a scope slip in a spuhr not using rosin? Not yet.

Have I found that using rosin hurts? Not at all.

Does it help? More than it not being there. With rosin in place, a lower torque can be used in my experience.

Is it required? That’s up to you and whatever makes you feel better.

If you ever have a scope slip when you need it most, you won’t be happy. To me, rosin is cheap insurance to prevent problems that could arise at the worst time. Most people including myself, have had great results using Spuhr mounts without it but I will take the necessary measures to control my outcome as much as possible.

I use rosin because it helps prevent one more thing that could go wrong on a hunt or during a competition. Just like running loctite on certain fasteners or having a routine of torquing all the hardware on a rifle before going out to shoot. Nobody likes gear failures.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I used my girlfriend’s eye makeup brush... powdered rosin on the bottom rings and then on top of the scope (p,acing the second half of the ring in place... torque to 22 ft lbs. I’ll be testing this weekend (308).

Good idea. Just don't tell her you used it for that. :LOL: Just kidding.

It's a throwback harkening to a period in history dominated by fudds who bought shit rings and lapped them, making them even worse.

It's not relevant in the days of modern CNC tolerances but people still tell their kids "take a breath, let it halfway out, then squeeze the trigger." ?

It'll never go away.

Spuhr only said to use rosin for high recoiling rifles like 300WM and 338LM. The comments about not using rosin coming from AR15/AR10 owners aren't really applicable. My 300WM likes to throw things loose. I've torqued my Vortex Razor rings to the max Vortex recommended 18 in-lb and the scope still gets loose from the recoil.

I have never used rosin or loctite and the SPUHR mount (SP-6002) on my AXMC in 338 LM has never come loose

So I just did more digging into this and it is hit or miss. Some have scope slip with 6.5 Creedmore, others don't have it with 338, and others do have it with 338 and .50 BMG. I'm going to use Rosin. My Razor HD LHT has a slick surface which probably contributes to this.
My Razor Gen II and Cronus BTR Gen 2 have really rough finishes and I always wondered why... until now.