Spuhr or other options?

portlandmarine

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2021
Northwest
Hello,

I have a new .308 RPR I'm using in the hills and want to get a new mount instead of using some old rings I have now and would like some recommendations please. Here is some context:
  • Range - approximately 1000 meters
  • 12" diameter steel plates
  • Will have to carry rifle, ammunition and pack partially up the hills for a few miles
  • Weather conditions will vary (all seasons), but no extremes
  • Plan to use thin flip caps to protect the glass
  • Budget - $400
I've seen various individuals here say Spuhr is the way to go (although pretty expensive), but have heard other recommendations as well. Any recommendations and/or advice? Thanks ahead of time.

I like Spuhr. I would conside one of their newer/cheaper "hunting?" mounts if you don't need to add a bunch of rails or a red dot.
For .308 it should not matter, but I did have issue with an ADM mount letting the scope slip under recoil when shooting a mag cartridge.

I don't have any mounts, but have a couple sets of seekins rings and arc rings, no issues at all. One set of seekins were removed and reinstalled (with scope still mounted) and had maintained a perfect zero.

Check these out. This is what I run on my PRS gun. I like the mount a lot. It is a little cheaper than the Spuhr. Talk to @Tyler Kemp
He does a discount for hide members.

Seekins, Nightforce, and American Rifle Company mounts are mentioned here frequently. I have used Seekins, Nightforce and Spur without any problems. Good luck.

Perhaps @lowlight and Marc will add rings to their data collection during class and training work? Nothing better than real data.

Last edited:
If there's any chance at all that you might sell the mount down the road, get the Spuhr, you'll get more out of it and it'll actually end up being "cheaper" than pretty much any other good one-piece. IMO, if you just have to have a one-piece, the next best other option is the MPA one-piece mounts because they're as good or better than anything else out there but priced closer to $200 than $400...

If separate rings are an option, Seekins Precision rings and Vortex PMR rings (same thing, made by Seekins) are pretty much "the standard". I've had 4 pairs of the Seekins', no complaints.

Perhaps @lowlight and Marc will add rings to there data collection during class and training work? Nothing better than real data.

Meh, seems unnecessary, unless you are buying $10 aliexpress rings you usually can't go wrong, ring/mount choice is not as complicated as most people make it out to be.

My father has a Norinco 22lr that's older than I am and has the crappiest rings I've ever seen. Rifle has never lots it's zero.

Just buy rings from a known manufacturer and don't over think it.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
Check out the American Rifle Co. M10 QD-L mount. Rock solid mount and uses the same easy clamping system that their rings use.

I have one that I am very happy with, definitely just as solid as a spuhr but it does not that the ability to mount a rail on top like the spuhr does if that’s important to you.

Meh, seems unnecessary, unless you are buying $10 aliexpress rings you usually can't go wrong, ring/mount choice is not as complicated as most people make it out to be.

My father has a Norinco 22lr that's older than I am and has the crappiest rings I've ever seen. Rifle has never lots it's zero.

Except the documented issues that Frank and Marc have talked about with "not cheap junk" rings they have noted at classes in the past.
so, while I agree it isn't complicated and such a deal that people post all the time, it does matter.

Vertically split rings were the issue.

@portlandmarine - Is there a reason for this want to change other than getting new goodies and having cool stuff?
Like NV, illuminators, etc?
Just curious.
Call Mile High Shooting. They know their stuff and are top notch folks. They will know which mount you need for your rifle and what you are trying to do.

I agree. But a little data might help, as we see this question regularly.

Check these out. This is what I run on my PRS gun. I like the mount a lot. It is a little cheaper than the Spuhr. Talk to @Tyler Kemp
He does a discount for hide members.

Audere is a great monoblock mount, and option for picatinny mounts, if you want to add red dot or similar to your mount, or other gear.
I use Audere on all my rifles.
CTR4.JPG

Reactions: TNVol
Except the documented issues that Frank and Marc have talked about with "not cheap junk" rings they have noted at classes in the past.
so, while I agree it isn't complicated and such a deal that people post all the time, it does matter.

Vertically split rings were the issue.

@portlandmarine - Is there a reason for this want to change other than getting new goodies and having cool stuff?
Like NV, illuminators, etc?
Just curious.
Call Mile High Shooting. They know their stuff and are top notch folks. They will know which mount you need for your rifle and what you are trying to do.

You can add unnecessarily complicated rings to the list then.

I agree that there should be a sticky made for rings/mounts, maybe list a few safe options and ones to avoid with known issues, but there are so many different rings out there trying to compile a list of good ones would end up with a stupid long list.