Spuhr’s New Design

Less breakage ? Hopefully
I find this funny. I have been on here for 3 years or so now and only recently started seeing people say that Spurhs are prone to cracking. 99% of the time they are highly regarded as the best mounts. What changed? More people being vocal?

Reactions: MtnGhost
I find this funny. I have been on here for 3 years or so now and only recently started seeing people say that Spurhs are prone to cracking. 99% of the time they are highly regarded as the best mounts. What changed? More people being vocal?
There's been a few that have broken and been posted about. No idea what the numbers work out to be but it certainly appears that Spur has very very few that have any faliure. Thats coming from a guy who doesn't run Spur, but it's still regarded as the best I would say.

They’re over rated.

Nightforce zco badger Geiselle all more better

Reactions: lash and TheOE800
9F99F975-F0BD-4619-8A5F-90798A3D0598.jpeg

I will say I purchased both the Hawkins mount and the Badger ordnance max, they are both equally great. I’ll be mounting them up soon and see what I like more. The badger is just a hair taller at 1.3 and the Hawkins at 1.28

Hawkins rings are what I mainly run now. Well made. Reasonable price in the PX. Never any problems. That being said ZCOs and SB are still in Spuhrs.

I don’t like the Badger level position and their accessory/overall availability situation has been dismal for YEARS.

The new Spuhr design does seem like it was made to clear S&B knob and reduce their SKUs perhaps, but new Schmidt scopes won’t have the knob anyway.

It’s brought up every once in a while for years, long before you got here. I can’t say I’ve seen a huge number, but it’s happened before.

Reactions: TheOE800
Seems weird they would discontinue the regular 6/6 ring screw mounts and keep the 6 front / 4 rear screw models that were originally made for certain S&B ultrashorts, but maybe they’re trying to consolidate the part numbers they need to make and stock and realized the 6/4 screw models would work on everything so that's the new standard.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the looks of the 6/4 screw models and prefer the looks of the standard 6/6 screw models, but I'm not CZ / spuhr and that's not my decision to make.

Reason I liked and purchased the Spuhrs is at the time I started buying them many years ago they were one of the only manufacturers offering mounts in cant increments other than the usual 0 MOA and 20 MOA so I was able to dial in my zero elevations exactly where I wanted the scopes to be, and the ring design makes them very thin near the turrets making the turrets easier to see.

Regarding them cracking, there's threads going back to at least 2019 on the issue which you can find in a search, regarding both the gen 1 ring caps cracking and the clamp bars cracking.

I have 4 cracked clamp bars at home on a shelf, and have 10 Spuhr mounts total… not good odds looking at it from a purely numbers perspective. All of the mounts and clamp bars went into the safe in one piece, and came out of the safe at a later date cracked right through the clamp bar bolt holes. 2 of the cracked clamp bars happened in less than 6 months on the same mount installed on the same picatinny rail… maybe it was an out of spec rail in that case because after swapping to a different brand of picatinny rail the clamp bar on that mount has been OK for several years now, and it's still the old thinner design. The 2 other cracked clamp bars happened on 2 separate mounts on 2 different rifles, and after being replaced under warranty with the newer thicker design haven’t cracked again. All of the ones that cracked for me were the older thinner design clamp bars, none were the new thicker design where extra material has been added under the bolts. That being said, I have seen pics here of a newer thicker design clamp bar cracked through the bolt holes as well, so the new design isn’t immune to the issue. I use a Mountz torque driver that I calibrate a couple times a year, so I’m confident the failures weren’t from over tightening. I now tighten the clamp bars to only 40 in/lb and haven’t seen any ill effects on zero retention or group sizes.

Other brands can have issues too, I had a NF ring crack the clamping piece years ago when torqueing it down. NF replaced it with zero hassle.

Last edited:
I hate their hardware. The torx drive is just too shallow.
That's why I won't run them anymore. I would say I was one of the first adapters of their mounts way back on my TRG with a dovetail mount. Had a couple strip out on me. Then you hear about other people having the same issues as well. Never had any issues with the NF, AI or any other mounts that I have ever used.

Reactions: lash and BurtG