Ssg 82 5.45x39

orange

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2006
Salt Lake,Utah
I just picked up an ssg 82 5.45x39 bolt gun on a whim. I'm looking for any impressions if anyone has one. Everything I searched is from a few years ago. The rifle is nice it had never been shot. I cleaned the cosmoline out of the trigger and it seems very good . It didn't come with the scope but I found a guy who makes picatinny rails for them so I can use a modern scope.
So again any info would be appreciated.

I can't give you load info or any of that but I can suggest a few things to keep it working properly.
Don't side load the trigger. The trigger is aluminum and has a big notch cut out of it up top where it clamps onto the firing pin release mechanism. The trigger can be adjusted forwards, back and tilted side to side. The screw that locks it fits in the notch that weakens it so be careful with it. I've made a few steel triggers for guys who broke them but they aren't cheap.
If you shoot military laquered steel case ammo be careful getting the thing hot. For some reason it seems to cause the fired cases to stick in the chamber. If you do get one stuck do not smack the bolt handle to remove it. The extractor holds the case very well and banging on the bolt handle will break the extractor. I made a couple of those too and they are painful and expensive to make. There have been a couple guys doing mods on the bolt to use AR15 extractors but I hate to see the guns modified like that....you can do it though. The solution is to use a cleaning rod to knock the stuck case out.
Load your own ammo if you want it accurate. The military stuff was made for AK74 rifles and accuracy wasn't the primary intent. It won't disappoint either. 3-4" groups are common when using it. On the other hand, the guys I know who load for their rifles can normally keep it under 1 moa. One guy I know is using regular .224 dia bullets intended for .223 loading and is having great results. He cuts down and forms his cases from some fairly common US made brass cartridge cases. I've seen him shoot some ragged one hole groups at 100yds.
Another guy is using .223(.224) bullets that have been run through a sizing die to make them .221" diameter. He uses the same brass cases as the other gent and also does some fine shooting. He has a picatinney rail on his rifle and a good scope. The first gent is shooting the original 4 power scope and I have no idea how he can shoot so well with it. The scope is one of the limiting factors as its adjustments don't have any detents and are limited in travel. I've got the original 4 power scope on my rifle that is numbered to the gun and a 6 power that has no serial on it. Neither is what you would call a very good sniper scope but they are neat in their own way. You should do fine with a standard clicker scope and do better shooting with it. The rifles are good quality overall but I don't think they were intended for travelling around with. There is a good site for a bit more info and personal quotes by owners. SSG82.com | For those who are curious or lucky enough to own one look in the "your experiences" section for the most up to date info.

hope something there helps

Frank

I picked up a SSG82 4X scope on Ebay awhile back. It is a ZF4/S Carl Zeiss Jena DDR (i.e., East Germany) rail 4X scope with scope covers. It is also serial numbered on the bottom of its rail for its SSG 82 rifle and came with a box also numbered but a different number and some instructions. The scope has the rail scope mounts too. I bid on it thinking it was a Zeiss Jena scope with claw scope mounts because that was how it was described and its picture in profile looked correct. When it was delivered the front claw was actually a dovetailed stud. Searched on the internet and found pictures of the SSG82 with the exact same scope and mounts. Thought that was interesting because about ten years ago I bought a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 from a Mr. Raul de la Fluentes? from Del Rio, Texas who had an SSG 82 rifle but he didn't know anything about it. Even the cartridge was a complete unknown to both of us at the time. Think he wanted less than $800 for it but I passed on it. After I found out what the scope was, I bought two magazines (i.e., one SWAT and one from England) and read up on the SSG 82. It's an interesting piece of East German memorabilia.

I picked up a SSG-82 off this forum some time last year that came with the numbered scope, 4 magazines & a little over 1000 rounds of ammo. I shoot it regularly and with Wolf 60gr. HP I easily shoot under 2" at 100yds. Shooting paper bullseye targets farther than that gets pretty difficult because of the combination of low magnification and thick post reticle. Very fun rifle.

If you have some ammo then you should put some rounds downrange...it would be a crime not to. As far as value, it of course depends on condition, scope matching or not, if you have a Swiss model (non-spiraled barrel) and that it's all original. The last rifle I saw on GB sold for around 1500.00 for just the rifle & matching scope in about 95% condition from what I could tell. The market goes up and down on these so if you are trying to sell it I suggest you look around and wait until you see the prices spike.

I have one of these rifles but haven't fired it yet anybody know what they go for nowadays.

here it is wish I had a better pic
IMAG1019.jpg

That's a really nice looking rifle. If you do decide to shoot her (I recommend that you do...you will find that they have about the finest trigger you ever laid a finger on) I recommend buying the Suhl 150 round bar trigger that a guy sells on GB as the factory trigger can be on the delicate side as they have been known to break. They tend to be weak where the large screw is and since I haven't seen any original triggers for sale I don't think you would want to break the one you got.

I know this one is pretty old but Hornady has started selling new brass cases, bullets and dies for the 5.45X39. Finally got mine and started working up a load for the SSG82. Need to get to the range and see how accuracy is.

Frank

Very fun and very accurate gun it is the only gun I regret selling. Watch out for the windage screws in the scopes mine broke had to have a jeweler make one because you can’t get that final left-hand metric thread.

Numrich had new spare mags at one time and there was someone else who sold them too. I bought a couple for my rifle. I managed to work up a load using the new Hornady brass and their 60gr bullets. I used XBR8208 powder and at the moment I have no idea what the velocity is. Its winter again and I've been flat out at work so no time to play. I did get a labradar chrono a few weeks back though so I should be able to get it done.
That rifle looks nice and almost all I've seen have been in really good shape. Not too many got beat up because no one had any good ammo so they got left in the safe. The scopes suck because there are no references to adjust to or from and no detents of any type. The reticle isn't anything to write home about either but the thing works ok. It is a nice rifle to shoot. I like the stock and the trigger is multi way adjustable so you can personalize to fit. Keep us posted on your shooting.

Frank