Sidearms & Scatterguns Staccato CS or Wilson Combat EDC X9 w/3.25 inch barrel

LindyMN

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2023
Minnesota
Hello, I am looking for any advice on buying my next EDC. Thank you all in advance for your expertise, I genuinely appreciate it. I have narrowed it down to the Staccato CS or the Wilson Combat EDC X9 w/3.25 barrel.

I was somewhat leaning towards buying the WC, however I was really firm on buying a gun that had DLC finish. At this time WC will not DLC finish their slides and barrels. It is disappointing because I thought if I am using for my EDC, I assumed it would be a nice feature to add the DLC and hopefully hold up better. On a side rant it is frustrating because Staccato, Nighthawk and Atlas all have DLC finish as an option (sorry rant over.)

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these two models and if you feel one might be the better option for EDC (fit, finish, accuracy, reliability etc etc.) I am also open to other options as well. I really like the Nighthawk double stack, but I think it is too heavy for every day carry and the Atlas EOS barrel is 4.25 inch (ideally I would prefer around the 3.5 inch.) Thanks again everyone!

LTT PX4 CC2. Can get with RDO, without RDO, with comp, without comp and a plethora of other choices. I picked one up yesterday and had been eyeing them for a long time for a number of reasons, two of them being ultimate accuracy and reliability along with being extremely flat and soft shooting for a short 9mm.
This is "his" version here: https://langdontactical.com/ernest-langdons-2024-px4-blackout/
If you don't want the comp/ight, you can start out here and add what you'd like: https://langdontactical.com/px4-compact-carry-with-ltt-trigger-job/
Note these are the new compact carry 2's that Beretta just released. I can guarantee you it'll be more reliable than your other two options and be drop safe. You can add back the spurred hammer or keep the low profile EDC version.

If you're in doubt, simply watch this video.

On the drop safe comment, semi-joking but not really...watch. Mike drops both a Staccato and a Nighthawk, they both go off. The intro is classic.

Staccato CS; 3.5" barrel; 15 round mag; 23 oz empty; $2499.

Wilson Combat EDC X9; 3.25" barrel; 15 round mag; 28 oz empty; $3210.

Glock 26 Gen 3: 3.43" barrel; 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 24, 31, 33, round mags; 19.4 oz empty; $499.

And yes, you may have to put a few hundred $ more into a G26 to make it "just right" (Sights, Trigger Shoe, Functional Slide Release, et al).

And if you have to shoot someone in self-defense with your G26, and the Po Po confiscate your weapon while they "investigate" your not out very much $ wise.

Yes, the Staccato and the Wilson make a fine statement when you pull them out of your safe to show friends. But as EDC firearms go the less statements you have to make, the better off you are in the long run.

Good luck with your purchase decision.....

instead of g26, check out the g43x. with the aftermarket mags you get plenty of capacity and form factor is pretty good. i love 2011s but for cc the g43x is a total winner.

bil has the wilson edcx9 and staccato c2 (double stack vs the C). of the two i like the c2 better for no real compelling reason.

I've got both the EDCX9, and a Staccato CS.....The EDCX9 is a 4" barrel, has been my EDC for several years.........great gun, points well for me, and is accurate.............

The Staccato came to me with a bunch of other guns from an inheritance ..........
Great gun, has the RMR from the factory, light, accurate..........I put 50 rounds thru it, not sure it had ever been fired.............

Both are great guns.........I prefer the Wilson............a bigger gun, as mine has the 4" barrel. I have carried the CS, and it just seems small compared to the EDCX9, but I also carried a 5" 1911 for quite a few years.............

The CS is a very nice gun.

IF you want to carry a 2011/1911 style pistol, the CS is one of the nicer options out there.

There are however, some downsides.

1. The gun is snappy as hell. Like..REALLY snappy. I'm not talking about range fodder 115 grain ammo. I'm talking about it having a REALLY sharp recoil impulse with 135 grain Hornady Critical Duty. Same deal with the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot. I found the gun fatiguing to shoot during a 200 round range session where I was vetting hollowpoint function.
2. Even with range fodder ammo, for the size of the gun, it's really snappy. A Glock 19 recoils significantly less than the CS.
3. The gun is not drop safe if that matters to you.

The positives are as follows:

1. Great weight for the size of the gun.
2. Great trigger. Despite the gun recoiling harshly, it's still a very easy gun to shoot. The sights track well and the return to the original aiming point post recoil doesn't require a whole ton of shooter input.
3. Excellent optics mounting system if that's your cup of tea. It's also future proof in that you can simply get a new plate for whatever whiz bang optic comes out.
4. The magazines are a definitive improvement over legacy 2011 magazines. They're really well made and they dont vomit rounds if you look at them wrong.
5. Build quality is fantastic. Slide to frame fit is really nice and there's really no slop anywhere in the gun. The safety is very well fitted and "snicks' on and off nicely.
6. Mine has been utterly reliable but I only have 1800 rounds of ball through it and 200 rounds of hollow points. Once I get 2k rounds through a carry gun I tend to stop shooting it unless I want to spend some time specifically training on that particular gun. An example would be after cleaning, Ill go put a box of ammo through the gun just to verify function.

Between the options that you listed, I don't really think you can go wrong with either gun. I think you have to narrow the field and determine if the 5 ounce weight penalty matters to you. You should also determine whether or not the price difference is an issue. That's a case or two worth of ammo which is a whole bunch of training.

Last edited:
Reactions: LindyMN