• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Stainless barrel - coating question

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
May 7, 2018
So I just ordered a 416R stainless AR15 barrel, it's a White Oak Armament 18" SPR. This is my first stainless barrel, and I am concerned about protecting it from rust. Would it be ok to spray paint the barrel with Krylon? The rest of the rifle is spray painted, and I could spray paint it to match.

Or should I have the barrel cerakoted, or leave it raw?

Pretty sure stainless doesn’t rust. We use it for fertilizer handling because of this fact.

On a side note I have mine cerakoted. Because I don’t like a shiny barrel.

I thought anything stainless was pretty much non-rusting. Of course, under extreme conditions, most anything can rust but stainless would be one of the better options for anti-rust if I am not mistaken.

Stainless is fairly smooth... if you want it to last, blast it with Aluminum Oxide (clean media, oil free), not glass beads to get the surface rough... they use a product like Alumnahyde or alumnahyde 2.

Rattle can dissolves with gun cleaning solvents... you want a product that cures and becomes resistant to solvents. If you don't have access to a clean blasting cabinet, I would still rough it up with aluminum oxide sandpaper. Degrease with MEK or at least 90+% alcohol before you start.
wear nitrile gloves while sanding. Degrease one more time- plug the holes- cover places you don't want covered and coat.

If you don't want to order the alumnahyde, consider stopping by the local municipal airport. Many have a place that sells airplane products, including Propeller Paint. Propeller paint is an epoxy spray can and the product is vastly superior to any rattle can- similar to durakote.

Rust- to be a rust free stainless, it needs to be a marine grade stainless steel. I don't think that steel makes for a good barrel.

most factory stainless barrels are good... wipe them down after handling and you should not have issues

Tempo’s Propeller Epoxy Coating is formulated with the extra adhesion and abrasion resistance needed to protect propellers from corrosion and wear. Compared to standard enamel and lacquers paints, our epoxy formula stays on the blade more flying hours. With regular use, this formula can extend blade life.

Last edited:
Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
Thanks for the reply! I do own a sand blaster and aluminum oxide. Obviously I'd plug both ends of the bore, cover the gas port, and tape over the barrel extension, and the threads around the muzzle. Any other prep work suggested?