• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Steiner M5Xi vs Vortex Razor

forfun

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2011
CA
I'm thinking about getting one of these Steiner 3-15x50 M5xi with an MSR or mil-dot because it seems like great deals out there and an all around good scope for my stock Rem 700.

I'll just be going to my local range to learn how to shoot out to 850. Maybe do a match when I learn how to mil.

Will I regret not having more power? And a xmas style ret? Gen II Razors 4.5-27 with an EBR-2C reticle are around the same price kinda... and it's like so many more features so much more power...

I'm trying to stay in the $1,500-$2,000 range. Any suggestions would be great.

What do you guys think? I'm new to this so please be nice to me. hahaha.

My $0.02 is to buy a razor used here in the px for ~$1650 . You get more than you think you need and they are great scopes. Yeah, they’re heavy. Big deal. Simply cannot be beat at that price point. And with the 27x you don’t NEED a spotting scope, though it’s nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Statie07
I prefer the Steiner M series over the Vortex. Personally, I think it’s a better scope. But Both are solid scopes though. Either one will work. I have a 17 power (USO) on my 308 and have no problem hitting anything out to 1000 yards.

Reactions: psychosniper
Optics Planet has a deal on a M5xi 5-25 for a little over $2k with coupon code I've been looking at. Might not be the reticle you want though. I have no first hand experience with either although I had a t5xi and it's nice but I felt the glass lacked.

The Steiner is a great scope. The Vortex is a great scope also.

If it were me, and I were looking for a hunting, plinking, range toy scope out to 850y and maybe a it past, that magnification it adequate. I prefer more magnification and soot regularly out to 1000 and play the PRS game so would lean towards the Vortex. Depending on where you think you’re heading bias the decision based on magnification. Just my opinion.

I just ordered the Steiner 3-15x50 M5xi for $1,600 new. Figured I could always find a Vortex used later if I need more power and/or tree reticle. We'll see how this goes...

Now I need to mount it.

I have a EGW 0 MOA mount I picked up off amazon. I could add that rail and do a one piece scope mount.

Or I could just buy some Talley rings.

Any recommendations?

Amazon. Looks like Steiner sold it for a low price to try and get rid of one at a time. It's back up to retail $ on amazon now, but keep checking maybe they'll release some more.
Gr8tfulDoug may be able to get them for the same.... I don't know. I saw he had some really good deals on these recently.

Last edited:
At $1,600 I would’ve gone for the M5Xi 3-15 aswell, as long as it had the MSR reticle. I have both M5Xi 5-25 MSR2 and Razor 4.5-27 EBR-2C. Both are great scopes and have excellent features which are very different between the two manufacturers. The turrets between both scopes are pretty good although very different than each other. I have no complaints about feel or sound from either and neither have caused me to mis-dial.

I have grown to prefer the MSR/MSR2 reticles for them being less busy than the Christmas tree style reticles that I don’t ever seem to use for their intended purpose. I dial elevation and hold for wind 95% of the time and none of my misses have ever fallen in the area where the tree is useful. Normally just a few tenths low/high, left or right of POA. I like a less cluttered sight picture when trying to spot impacts and correct.

I personally feel that the M5Xi has a step up in glass quality. I certainly don’t see the CA that a lot of people have complained of. It’s definitely easier to see into the shadows on a sunny day with a lot of mirage using the M5Xi and it seems to resolve finer detail much further out than the Razor (1,500 yards and beyond). I will also give low light performance to the M5Xi. Other than that they are both built like tanks and have great warranties with excellent customer service.

For the distances you will be shooting, I feel the 3-15 will be just fine. I always thought along the lines of “more power is more better”. That was until I realized that depending on the conditions, I would always find myself between 12-16 power on all of my variable power scopes while shooting alone. I never find myself going above 15x, 85% of the time I’m shooting and if I do, I’m usually spotting for someone or I have someone spotting for me. I have the P4Xi 4-16x56 which is down the ladder considerably when compared to the M5Xi 3-15x50 but it still allows me make to accurate, consistent hits and follow up shots to 1,140 yards on 66% IPSC with 308 Win. without a spotter. I can only imagine how much better it would be with the M5Xi 3-15 at those same distances based off of my experience with the M5Xi 5-25.

I have no real complaints about either, other then I wish they were cheaper so I could have more of each.

Funny story I had actually wanted the MSR reticle, but when I saw the price on Amazon I went for the Mil-dot, which is good in its own right because the whole mil dot area lights up vs just the center on the MSR...

However, since I did really want the MSR I called Doug up and got a good deal. Then I cancelled the Amazon order... we'll see if the cancelled Amazon order goes through in time before they ship it....

But Doug has one (1) more left with the MSR for a good price. Give him a call. Or maybe the Mil-dot one will pop back up on Amazon since I cancelled the order. I don't know.

Until Steiners comes out with a reticle that is not ass they are not even a factor. Get the razor. At this price point reticle is the most important thing followed by glass and turrets. At this price they all track.

I like the MSR Ret. it’s a pretty clean design. What’s wrong with it. Hahah. We’ll see when I get it. If it’s not enough I’ll move it to something else.

Attachments

• 4F5BFC76-73A4-422A-B55B-58B0B5F31AC3.jpeg
    4F5BFC76-73A4-422A-B55B-58B0B5F31AC3.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 49B01106-3802-4DAA-AC63-4AC7C50992E4.jpeg
    49B01106-3802-4DAA-AC63-4AC7C50992E4.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 200
There are very few scopes that I'd choose over a Razor (GEN II or AMG). That includes scopes that are MUCH more expensive. You won't miss the extra magnification. Its negligible. High magnification is cool to show your friends and stuff, I tend to never go above 15x or 16x even when shooting 1000m or more. FOV is a must for reading wind and mirage. Also, your reticle will only be useable to a certain magnification if you're using a tree. I can get all 10mil on my AMG at 18x. Plenty.

Haven’t had a chance to get out with it, and it wasn’t supposed to end up on my new 22LR....hahah...but it did...on an Area 419 - 30 MOA mount with Warne rings.

I may move it over to the Rem at some point, we’ll see if I need a 25yrd Parallax and more power as it seems is useful... I look forward to getting out to some .22 matches in San Diego If anybody knows any let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: psychosniper