• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Steiner M7xi pros and cons from users

Anthony-ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
I am currently deciding on a scope to purchase for my new 6.5 creedmoor rifle. The other scopes are the TT, ZCO. From another thread I feel that minox while great if you get a good one, it can be a hit or miss. The main use of this rifle will be out to 1000 yard and possibility of PRS matches if I can figure out how to add more hours in a day. I know the TT is what all are being judged to, With the turrets if you are getting a tree reticle then does the quality of them matter as much as most shots will be hold overs? I have not tried a tree reticle, been more of dial up and hold wind. THE Reticles that have peaked my interest are the msr2, tremor3, gen 3xr, MPCT2.If anybody has used these and has any input on strengths and weakness of them thank you

Personally I love the Gen2XR and MSR (and MSR2). The MSR is great but on small dot drills and such the center can completely cover the dot. No matter if you dial or hold you will have to dial at times. The scopes you mention are all top quality and have great turrets so it shouldn’t be a matter of if they work but a matter of preference in how they feel and sound.
Try to put hands on and choose your favorite, they are all great options. If the reticle is your most important feature then that solves it, if turrets are the most important, etc. so many good options today. Still waiting on my own M7 to arrive. Not many in the wild but the reviews have been excellent.

Reactions: Forensicdiver
I feel that I can learn to like almost any of the reticles I have mentioned. I see some have .2 mil sub tensions while the msr is .5, Have you noticed either to help or to hurt.

I've not done much competition shooting so my bias applies to a slower type of shooting I suppose. However when I competed I did so with the MSR and did not feel limited. Typically targets are large enough you can favor or hold to the edge or off edge using the .5 spacing to satisfaction. The Gen2XR is also a very nice reticle in my opinion and gives more of a xmas tree for drop and wind further down the reticle. My type of shooting is to dial elevation and hold wind - if the wind is strong enough I will dial partial wind and hold the gusts if that makes sense. It has been my experience that using the holdover/holdoff marks is not precise enough at distance once the margin of error of the system (rilfle accuracy, ammunition, shooter capability) approaches it limits. Others may have better results but this is my experience.

I've got a couple of the M5Xi scopes and they are a solid scope. Turrets are very good (not as crisp as others but acceptable and track reliably) and I really like the 2nd rev feature. Glass on the M5s seems to have a wide variable between units as I have one that is great and another that is meh.
I did get to play with the M7 at SHOT and the turrets were much more crisp (I'll miss the 2nd rev indicator) and the glass looked good but how can you really tell inside a showroom.
I've shot the Kahles and S&B and both are very good but both have things that turn me off about each. If the M7 glass is with the S&B I will have no complaints.