• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Steiner vs Vortex vs Hensoldt

NurseMike87

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
Looking to pick up a scope for shooting mostly out to 1000yd. I have been debating between the Steiner T5Xi 5-25 TMR, the Gen 2 razor with the EBR-7c, or a Hensoldt ZF4-16 H59. I already have a Gen 1 razor and think it is a pretty good scope, but I am looking for something to go on a custom rifle that I'm having built. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gen2 Razor. The Steiner is nice, not the same quality as the other two scopes.

The Henny is a good scope, albeit dated. Plus, if your Henny shits the bed and decides to break, well...good luck.

Reactions: manki77
They are that tough to get worked on? I never got to handle one before, but I had been considering it because I've always heard that they have amazing optical quality. Are there any others you would suggest I look at in that price range? I had considered the Leupold Mk5HD at one point as well.

That's a big price jump difference. The gen ii razors for what you get and what you pay for, there is nothing beating it. The hendsoldt is an amazing scope but if you can afford a zco or TT. I would have those 2 over the henny but you can buy 2 of the razors for their price. The razor wont leave you wanting anything and is a better buy. My .02

You can buy the Razor for MUCH less than 2500. Enough where you could buy yourself a Razor, Kestrel, and quite a bit of ammo.

I sound like a Vortex fanboy; I just know a deal when I see one. Dollar for dollar, nobody is beating it. Period.

I've owned a lot of the top tier glass. You're not going to find a better bang for your buck. You'll buy a mechanically sound and optically impressive scope. In the event something went belly up, you'd have a new scope in a weeks time. Good luck.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
If I were to buy a top shelf scope today, it would be a Vortex Razor G2. Its a great scope, I had one for a year. And it comes from a company that will take care of any issue, should you ever have one. I got rid of mine only since I got a new job and treated myself to a Schmidt & Bender PM2. But the way prices has been going around here, the Schmidt scopes retail went up about 19% lately and that has priced them out of reach, at least for me as I just cant justify that much money.
I have had a 4-16 Henny too and it was a great scope, but it just lacks modern features like the superb zerostop of the Razor.
Never looked through a Steiner so I have no idea on that one.

At the level you're talking about, the reticle is one of the biggest differences, and the EBR-2C/EBR-7C versus the H59 is an enormous difference. Your decision needs to center more on what works for you than anything else.

FWIW, of those 3, I'd buy the Razor 8 days a week.

Hennys have to go back to the fatherland for repairs. Eurooptic handles the ordeal. But they make it painless.
Thanks for the info. I bought a Hensoldt scope from Europtics back in 2011. Although I have no problems with my scope it is good to know I can get it fixed through Europtics. I was wondering about that since Zeiss divested their Hensoldt product line to Airbus, the last time I checked.