• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Sidearms & Scatterguns Steyr L9-A1

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
Been looking at one of these at a local gun shop. Super comfortable to hold, super low bore axis, and a pretty nice trigger. Any one have experience with these pistols? Pros/cons? Pictures? Thanks for your time.- Austin.

I have the newer L9-A2 MF and it is my favorite pistol to shoot. Everybody at the range raves about it. Trigger is very good for a striker fired with very little over travel, finish is much better than a Glock, the sights are triangular and take some getting used to. The magazines are metal and drop free. I believe the A1 magazines work in the A2, but not the reverse, so magazine availability might be an issue in the future for the older guns.

Reactions: Awag1000
the A1 vs the A2 is more of a personal choice, Steyr has not come out with the change over kits, so the modular frame of the A2 is kinda a moot point right now. I like the frame texturing of the A2 as the A1 felt a little slick to me, but the triggers and ergonomics are basically the same.
My friend had an L9-A1 and bought an A2 at the same time I got mine. I could have bought a discounted M9-A1 and went with the L9-A2

Been looking at one of these at a local gun shop. Super comfortable to hold, super low bore axis, and a pretty nice trigger. Any one have experience with these pistols? Pros/cons? Pictures? Thanks for your time.- Austin.
Lot’s of experience with the L9A1. Used it to compete in Production class and SSP. Pros-Reliable, accurate, great ergonomics, great trigger.
Cons-Out of production/questionable long term factory support, little aftermarket support.

It’s a solid pistol. You didn’t really state what characteristics are a priority to you. Carry? Competition? Collector?

Lot’s of experience with the L9A1. Used it to compete in Production class and SSP. Pros-Reliable, accurate, great ergonomics, great trigger.
Cons-Out of production/questionable long term factory support, little aftermarket support.

It’s a solid pistol. You didn’t really state what characteristics are a priority to you. Carry? Competition? Collector?
I just like guns that I can carry and stuff I can depend on in dirty environments (woods). I'm pretty scrawny so I can hide a P226 in my waist line pretty well.

Reactions: Kamerad
with the A1, you're stuck with that grip- the A2 has interchangeable back and side panels like an HKvp9. If the A1 grip fits you well ( it does me), then its' one of the best feeling/handling striker pistols out there.
I have the "C" version of the A1, I love it. The triangle sights are quick to aquired, it points very well and unlike my flippy Walther PPQ, it's an enjoyable shooter. Downsides to the A1 : the magwell isn't bevelled so that can slow down reloads- I believe the A2 is bevelled, and the slippiness of the grip- the A1 has a lot of unnecessary shapes and contours going on- and none of them are really grippy- I ended up doing a gentle stippling on them. Again, the A2 is better sorted.

As far as accessories and after market - the stock trigger is excellent, so why mess with it--, sights can be switched out for tritium and you can hang lights and lasers off of the rail.., but no, you can't fancyboy the fuck out of it like you can with Glock, so if that sort of thing is important, then it's probably not for you, but if you want to put holes in things, rather than than post pics on Instagram, it's going to do everything you need.

with the A1, you're stuck with that grip- the A2 has interchangeable back and side panels like an HKvp9. If the A1 grip fits you well ( it does me), then its' one of the best feeling/handling striker pistols out there.
I have the "C" version of the A1, I love it. The triangle sights are quick to aquired, it points very well and unlike my flippy Walther PPQ, it's an enjoyable shooter. Downsides to the A1 : the magwell isn't bevelled so that can slow down reloads- I believe the A2 is bevelled, and the slippiness of the grip- the A1 has a lot of unnecessary shapes and contours going on- and none of them are really grippy- I ended up doing a gentle stippling on them. Again, the A2 is better sorted.

As far as accessories and after market - the stock trigger is excellent, so why mess with it--, sights can be switched out for tritium and you can hang lights and lasers off of the rail.., but no, you can't fancyboy the fuck out of it like you can with Glock, so if that sort of thing is important, then it's probably not for you, but if you want to put holes in things, rather than than post pics on Instagram, it's going to do everything you need.
Good points. I didn’t see any reason to mess with the trigger, either. I added Trijicon sights, and Talongrips.

The magwell does not do any favors for speed reloading. It was rarely a problem in matches, though.

Reactions: Awag1000
My brother has some older generations, and I was always very impressed by them, so I just received an L9-A2 and C9-A2. Very impressive guns. I'm having competition and CCW kydex holsters made this week. Love the ergos, trigger, sights. Only wish there was more aftermarket support.

V1 Tactical has the best deals on new ones.

So I ended up haggling with the gun shop and I managed to score an L9-A2 for $30 more than the A1. got a "free" box of ammo too.
IMG_20201111_185044473.jpg
IMG_20201111_185145054.jpg
honestly one of the most comfortable handguns I've handled in a very long time.

I think the only modification I'm going to do to this handgun is down the line just cut the barrel back just a tiny bit on my lathe so is sits flush with the front of the slide. That'll probably be after 4k rounds though. Other than it needs a light the gun is pretty much perfect.

So I ended up haggling with the gun shop and I managed to score an L9-A2 for $30 more than the A1. got a "free" box of ammo too.View attachment 7469248View attachment 7469249honestly one of the most comfortable handguns I've handled in a very long time.
Make sure you play with the grip panels and backstraps. I have size Large hands, and with the flat panel on the left, the large panel on the right, and the medium backstrap the gun fits my hand like a glove; a very locked-in grip.

Because I can't leave anything in it's original format and also because I think it looks cool.

Do you know how to re-crown it?

Do you know if there is a valid technical reason why Steyr left the barrel poking out of the slide? And if there is, can you buy a new barrel somewhere to fix the gun once you screw it up?

There is no reason I have seen that 0.080" of barrel length will have a profound impact on the functionality of a pistol. I did it with a handful of pistols already. Haven't had any issues.
IMG_20200816_125707_837.jpg
heres an example of my Compact P80 (G19)

Reactions: Asiparks
The L9A2 is a fantastic pistol. Easily one of the couple of best striker fireds out there.

Downside is that Steyr USA sucks balls and there are few holsters.

The L9A2 is a fantastic pistol. Easily one of the couple of best striker fireds out there.

Downside is that Steyr USA sucks balls and there are few holsters.
Steyr seems to be the only firearms manufacturer that understands how we grip handguns today and so puts grip texturing where no one else does.

BUT, someone tell Steyr that reflex sights on handguns are the way of the future and the future isn't very far away at all...….

Good, could be better
L9-A2_LI.jpg

Not good (CZ and everyone else)
P-10F_LI.jpg

Steyr seems to be the only firearms manufacturer that understands how we grip handguns today and so puts grip texturing where no one else does.

BUT, someone tell Steyr that reflex sights on handguns are the way of the future and the future isn't very far away at all...….

Good, could be betterView attachment 7470670

Not good (CZ and everyone else)
View attachment 7470671

I talked to the guy from Ranger Point Precision about RDS. He is a big steyr guy, used to make aftermarket stuff for them. Bottom line is that the slide was too low profile for him to be able to cut an RDS without risking failure, so he made dovetail mounts for them. If there was a reasonable market for Steyr parts -- sights, holsters -- I would shoot the A2 without a question. I am mixed on the sights. They are fast as hell, and reasonably accurate, but weird and useless in low light.

Shit. Now you guys have me looking at my MF again. I have to say, it seems like the best made polymer gun on the planet. The frame rails are a thing of beauty, and I don't see any particular weak points on the entire pistol. It is really nice.

Apparently the ATF put the kibosh on the switch frame thing for Steyr. Don't really understand why, but it seems that you can take an old A1 FCU and put it in the new frame, and then you have an unserialized gun. As opposed to sig where there is no way to do that. Whatever. Bad move.

Shit. Now you guys have me looking at my MF again. I have to say, it seems like the best made polymer gun on the planet. The frame rails are a thing of beauty, and I don't see any particular weak points on the entire pistol. It is really nice.

Apparently the ATF put the kibosh on the switch frame thing for Steyr. Don't really understand why, but it seems that you can take an old A1 FCU and put it in the new frame, and then you have an unserialized gun. As opposed to sig where there is no way to do that. Whatever. Bad move.
That's pretty neat.