• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Stock Opinions?

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I've been looking at the Boyd's Evolution stocks in flat black for my Marlin 917 .17 hmr:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-REVOLUTION/Categories

(They are sold out there, but are available on other sites)

Sometimes they are sweet to look at, but I don't know that I'd get one for myself, and other times I'm seriously ready to order. So, what do you guys think??

Also, do they actually increase accuracy all that much?

Re: Stock Opinions?

For standing, stocks make a significant difference.
Prone, bench, assuming optical sights, as long as you can get a good cheek weld, different stocks seem to me to be more about comfort and style points than function.

Obviously, a flat forearm rides the bags better.

Ammo, barrel, trigger, optics, with stock somewhere farther down the list.

Not to say I don't have some stylish but functional stocks.

Yeah I'm mostly just seeing what style people prefer, since that's pretty much what it would be for. I use a bipod in the front so I don't have to worry about the forearm so much. The only functional differences I could really get out of it would be a slightly higher cheeck weld and a more pistol-like grip. Other than that it's just about style.

did you try just calling marlin and picking up a stock? it may be less $ than the evolution

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/17HMRMagnum/917vt.asp

quite frankly unless marlin put the front mounting screw somewhere other than dovetailed into the barrel (don't know why they did that in the first place) the stock on that particular rifle, if screw is dovetailed to barrel, wront do much for accurracy other than the comfort factor and / or better eye alignment with the optic. you'll gain more accurracy out of putting in an adjustable trigger.

many stocks offer features that enhance accurracy. either how the receiver bolts in, the amount of freefloat, the way the receiver sits in the stock, or the use of more rigid or less prone to expand / contract materials to keep consistancy, etc. so yes, some stocks actually "mechanically" enhance accurracy in addition to "comfort" enhancements (obviously if your more comfortable , your more consistant, which equals an accurrcy gain)

once again though if you have the dovetail in the barrel, it tends to counteract most of what you do to the stock, receiver, etc.