• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Stock question

ergceo

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2009
Missouri
www.usmadefal.com
I have a Savage MkII BV with the factory black polymer stock. I am on a tight budget and want to customize my stock. I have painted it OD green leaving all accents factory black. I am considering filling the buttstock with some putty or epoxy or something along with some steel to add weight. Can anyone share any good way to do this? I just want it to feel more substantial.

Thx.

Re: Stock question

you pretty much answered your own question, you can also use modeling clay, or shotgun shot.

you can add a lead insert, or even glue 2 side tape lead to the inside.

if your super anal such as myself, flat square tire weights and velcro for adding / removing weight as needed.

i've also used hydration bladders for back packs inside the stocks of more substantial recoiled rifles, acts as a "hydrolic" recoil dampener and adds weight.

I'd line the interior with a clear plastic trash bag, then fill it with lead shot. Once you have the amount needed; pull out the bag and shot, and add epoxy, kneading it to get good distribution and coating. Pack it back into the bag and let it cure. Trim off any exposed plastic. Put the buttpad back on. Using the plastic bag liner allows the weight to be removeable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd line the interior with a clear plastic trash bag, then fill it with lead shot. Once you have the amount needed; pull out the bag and shot, and add epoxy, kneading it to get good distribution and coating. Pack it back into the bag and let it cure. Trim off any exposed plastic. Put the buttpad back on. Using the plastic bag liner allows the weight to be removeable. </div></div>

wish I had thought of that.......I do now have the worlds heaviest PSS stock. ....stable as a rock though
blush.gif