Straight-pull bolt action

DeadNutz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2024
SE USA
Thoughts on these new Strasser straight-pulls? The RS700 builders action looks affordable and is based off Remington 700 footprint. Straight-pull action with all the customization barrel and stocks that I want... sounds good to me! Anyone have experience with them?

Saw a demo unit the other day at a buddy’s shot. Honestly I think they are pretty awesome, though the price point is going to scare some away.

IMG_8559.jpeg

How’s the “pull” weight? The savage is horrible (duh), can’t cycle without losing sight picture.
You are right, the Savage is awful. The Strassers feel pretty amazing. I am not sure the bolt pull weight on mine but it take very little force to cycle the action. It really is effortless. More than just the bolt pull weight though, the Strasser actions have a clean, smooth feeling. Its like the bolt is riding on ice skates.

Attachments

• a04cd635-0867-4792-bfcc-24e86e3fa1b4.JPG
    a04cd635-0867-4792-bfcc-24e86e3fa1b4.JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 99
How did strasser handle the cocking on these? Are they 100% cock on open when the bolt handle pivots, 50% when the bolt handle pivots open and the other 50% on bolt close, or does the bolt handle pivoting rearwards only unlock the collet style locking lugs and it's 100% cock on close when you push the bolt back into battery? The strasser video makes it looks like 100% cock on open because he pushes the bolt closed with one finger.

I see strasser says they work with AICS mags only... will an AW mag even fit into the action? Wondering if there's a way to make them work, but I'm guessing strasser says AICS only for a good reason.

Either way, I've always thought the RS14 was a very nice design, and I'm tempted to try one of these RS700s...

Edit: just read the manual and it appears to be a 100% cock on open action, which makes sense. I wonder if the lever pivoting open also serves to provide the primary extraction force.

Also, if there was one thing I'd like to see on future versions, it would be adding shear pins or a recoil lug/key for the scope rail as well as a change from 6-48 to 8-40 screws for the scope rail (those who have had the 6-48 rail screws on their R700 fail and then remachined the action to 8-40 will understand)-- or an option of a receiver with an integrally machined in scope rail. A well designed detachable rail gives you options for different cant as well as allowing for an extended rail for oddly proportioned or long eye relief scopes, so there's arguments for both the removable or integral rail.

Still, it's a very neat action and I'll probably be trying one for my next build...

Last edited:
You are right, the Savage is awful. The Strassers feel pretty amazing. I am not sure the bolt pull weight on mine but it take very little force to cycle the action. It really is effortless. More than just the bolt pull weight though, the Strasser actions have a clean, smooth feeling. Its like the bolt is riding on ice skates.
Below is a link to a video we posted on our Instagram account. The video shows the action in use and you can see what little force it takes to manipulate the action.

How did strasser handle the cocking on these? Are they 100% cock on open when the bolt handle pivots, 50% when the bolt handle pivots open and the other 50% on bolt close, or does the bolt handle pivoting rearwards only unlock the collet style locking lugs and it's 100% cock on close when you push the bolt back into battery? The strasser video makes it looks like 100% cock on open because he pushes the bolt closed with one finger.

I see strasser says they work with AICS mags only... will an AW mag even fit into the action? Wondering if there's a way to make them work, but I'm guessing strasser says AICS only for a good reason.

Either way, I've always thought the RS14 was a very nice design, and I'm tempted to try one of these RS700s...

Edit: just read the manual and it appears to be a 100% cock on open action, which makes sense. I wonder if the lever pivoting open also serves to provide the primary extraction force.

Also, if there was one thing I'd like to see on future versions, it would be adding shear pins or a recoil lug/key for the scope rail as well as a change from 6-48 to 8-40 screws for the scope rail (those who have had the 6-48 rail screws on their R700 fail and then remachined the action to 8-40 will understand)-- or an option of a receiver with an integrally machined in scope rail. A well designed detachable rail gives you options for different cant as well as allowing for an extended rail for oddly proportioned or long eye relief scopes, so there's arguments for both the removable or integral rail.

Still, it's a very neat action and I'll probably be trying one for my next build...
I talked to a gunsmith who has one... it 100% cocks on close. The sear doesn't engage until the arm is completely closed, and the arm cant close until the gun is in the battery. The arm moving forward engages both the locking lugs and the sear. You can see how this works when you take the bolt out and release the bolt manually (by pressing the button on the bottom of the bolt).

This is what he said. I think they've got me persuaded. Will keep you updated.

I kind of want one of those, even though I don't know what I would use it for.

But what's going on with those scope rings, lol?!
Yeah, they are not our favorite rings but they were laying around the shop so we gave them a try. They are the SIG SAUER Alpha1 Tactical scope rings and I don't believe they are still offered by SIG... lol... but our actions sure are! ha

Reactions: JR1200W3
Yeah, they are not our favorite rings but they were laying around the shop so we gave them a try. They are the SIG SAUER Alpha1 Tactical scope rings and I don't believe they are still offered by SIG... lol... but our actions sure are! ha
We've all been there, lol. Do you know if there's a place to demo one of your actions in Colorado?

You were told by me on Friday and the owner of the site @Lowlight on Saturday that you need to upgrade your account to a Commercial Supporter to do business here. This is your final warning.

You were told by me on Friday and the owner of the site @Lowlight on Saturday that you need to upgrade your account to a Commercial Supporter to do business here. This is your final warning.
ok, I hear you. I have contacted the guy to find out more info. It's not clear what "conducting business" even means. I've looked today when I contacted the admin for the second time to get more info on upgrading. Answering questions is considered "conducting business"? i have an idea, shoot me some more info in a DM so i can do just that or have someone respond to my requests.

I’ve corresponded with Strasser USA several times in the last week but haven’t been able to get the dimensions for a shouldered prefit. Lots of schematics have been sent but nothing that gives what’s needed. Hopefully they get that ironed-out. I get that some will use a barrel but, but why is it so hard to give a boltface to recoil lug face dimension for those who want a shouldered barrel? (Their schematics show the boltnose relief, etc… just nothing that would allow a barrel to be spun-up without having the action in hand.)

ok, I hear you. I have contacted the guy to find out more info. It's not clear what "conducting business" even means. I've looked today when I contacted the admin for the second time to get more info on upgrading. Answering questions is considered "conducting business"? i have an idea, shoot me some more info in a DM so i can do just that or have someone respond to my requests.
If you are operating as this....
SmartSelect_20241015_165300_Chrome.jpg

it sure looks like you are conducting business.

After your first few quite helpful responses in the Precision Rifles thread we even tried to help you.
Screenshot_20241015_165746_Chrome.jpg

We try to help you because we want more manufacturers here. I don't want have to see you go away.

Yes answering questions as a business is considered "conducting business" and having your screen name the company name and described as the "official" then that also shows it as a business account. Don't try and play games. In the other thread on Friday I gave the link below which shows you how you register as a Commercial Supporter. Thanks.

Reactions: Cody S
I’ve corresponded with Strasser USA several times in the last week but haven’t been able to get the dimensions for a shouldered prefit. Lots of schematics have been sent but nothing that gives what’s needed. Hopefully they get that ironed-out. I get that some will use a barrel but, but why is it so hard to give a boltface to recoil lug face dimension for those who want a shouldered barrel? (Their schematics show the boltnose relief, etc… just nothing that would allow a barrel to be spun-up without having the action in hand.)

It could be the lug face to bolt face dimension isn't held to a tight enough tolerance between actions for shouldered prefits, hence the reason for the barrel nut and the tenon print not giving a shoulder dimension. Would need to find out from strasser if the recoil lug to bolt face dimension on their actions is held to +/- 0.0015" or so.

If they aren't held that tight, after you measure your specific action you can then have shouldered prefits machined, but they would be specific to your particular action.

It could be the lug face to bolt face dimension isn't held to a tight enough tolerance between actions for shouldered prefits, hence the reason for the barrel nut and the tenon print not giving a shoulder dimension. Would need to find out from strasser if the recoil lug to bolt face dimension on their actions is held to +/- 0.0015" or so.

If they aren't held that tight, after you measure your specific action you can then have shouldered prefits machined, but they would be specific to your particular action.
Very true, Kiba. That’s good info and one of the reasons I suspected. I’ll update if they do / can provide a dimension. 👍🏻

Yes answering questions as a business is considered "conducting business" and having your screen name the company name and described as the "official" then that also shows it as a business account. Don't try and play games. In the other thread on Friday I gave the link below which shows you how you register as a Commercial Supporter. Thanks.

no one is playing games, Rob. This account is ran by 4 different people within the org. I am certain there are just internal comms issues between us but I literally have an email in to get more info concerning the program levels. I am the managing partner of the USA side so maybe don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. It might be more prudent for someone to respond to my private message and questions I have first. Putting me on blast rather than sending me a note is a great way to get more sponsors. Let me know if you are available for a sales job... if you are upset because we don't have a first responder discount then thats just silly but I will work on that in the coming week ;)

no one is playing games, Rob. This account is ran by 4 different people within the org. I am certain there are just internal comms issues between us but I literally have an email in to get more info concerning the program levels. I am the managing partner of the USA side so maybe don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. It might be more prudent for someone to respond to my private message and questions I have first. Putting me on blast rather than sending me a note is a great way to get more sponsors. Let me know if you are available for a sales job... if you are upset because we don't have a first responder discount then thats just silly but I will work on that in the coming week ;)
So the account is being used by four people at the company and you are questioning it being a commercial account conducting business on the site? Lol It’s not hard to upgrade. Click on the link above and it will show you how to get a Commercial Supporter account. Lowlight is not on as much as others and he gets a lot of PMs so he may not have seen your PM yet but his post telling you to upgrade was pretty clear. Sorry I’m not a salesman but just cutting the BS and trying to explain to you why you need to upgrade.

Did I forget to mention that the straight pull Savage Impulse is made in America ?
SJC
I played with the savage a few months ago at my local ffl. Always wanted to try one out.

Follow up shots would be the benefit of a straight pull in my opinion

However the savage felt about the equivalent of having to rack the charging handle every shot on my Tavor X95

My lust for the design completely went away in a few cycles of the action

Since you are the managing partner of the USA side, you probably have some idea of advertising and how that works and the cost and efficiencies of advertising.

Here on Sniper's Hide, you'll get way better value for your advertising dollars spent if you have folks on here a lot to answer questions and provide lots of information and photos and videos and such, because this is more of the place where folks with actual money and interest and intent to buy such things hang out.

To access all that it's $200 a month or $2400 a year.
That's not even the walking in the door fee for most other advertising.

So my suggestion is put up the money out of your advertising budget, upgrade the account (it's really easy to simply click on the upgrade link, choose what you want and pay via credit card).

Then get busy providing lots of information, pictures, videos, answering questions, making connections with barrel and accessory makers and growing your brand on here.

I'll bet the profit on the first sale or two of an action you get from someone seeing it here more than pays for the cost of the first month of commercial entity fees for this website.

I hope that @Strasser USA joins as a commercial supporter and is present to answer questions and interact. I will give them credit for following-up on my inquiry and it sounds like pre-fits aren’t a problem. They just don’t have the dimensions immediately on hand. (At least stateside) Once those are out there I think more folks will be willing to try one out.

If a straight pull rifle action is going to be faster than a bolt action, for rapid fire shooting, the nr. one criteria is that the hand do not need a forward motion to reach the bolt handle after the first shot is fired.
Same goes for closing the action. After the action is closed the hand should go straight down to the pistol grip/trigger. There should be no need for moving the hand backwards to the pistolgrip/trigger after the bolt is closed.

A 100 years ago the Norwegian Krag was THE rifle for the "Running Deer Doubles" Olympic event, two shots within 4,6sec at 100m on a running deer target. However, the Krag was later outperformed in this event by sporterized Ross straight pull and Mannlicher M95M straight pull rifles. Even the Soviets used the Ross in the Olympics. Both these straight pull rifles have the bolt handle at the extreme rear of the bolt so no forward movement is needed in either opening or closing of the bolt. The skill level of these shooters at the time was extremely high. Most of the top 50 shooters had more than 15000 rounds though their rifles every year so every detail on their rifles counted.

The bolt handle on the Strasser is located too far forward for optimal rapid fire shooting. They need to redesign the bolt handle so the bolt knob is in line with the rear of the bolt. The same goes for the Blaser R8.

The length that these Olympic competitors were willing to go can be seen in this custom reverse pump actin made by two Mannlicher M95M rifles. This rifle was used in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. It did not win. The winning rifle was a Ross used by a Soviet shooter:

(Krieghoff came a little late to the show :cool: )

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody S