Stupid Question time re: Scope Mounts

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Minuteman
Supporter
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
How does one BREAK a scope ring/scope mount without destroying the optic?

I see in another forum where they are talking about a certain brand of scope mounts breaking. I have shot some pretty serious rifles, with scope mounts that cost less than the 300-500 dollars these mounts cost without ever having the slightest bit of a problem. So, the question is, how does one break a mount without destroying the optic and other parts of the rifle?

How does one BREAK a scope ring/scope mount without destroying the optic?

I see in another forum where they are talking about a certain brand of scope mounts breaking. I have shot some pretty serious rifles, with scope mounts that cost less than the 300-500 dollars these mounts cost without ever having the slightest bit of a problem. So, the question is, how does one break a mount without destroying the optic and other parts of the rifle?
If you are talking about Spuhr and the clamping bar cracking, it’s just that…part of the clamp that holds the mount to the pic rail scope base. No impact on the scope at all. Well, unless it falls off and hits the ground which isn’t really happening. The clamp bar develops cracks.

Dunno if this has been fixed by Spuhr in latest production or not. I don’t follow them that closely. But that’s that part that breaks.

If you are talking about Spuhr
Sounds like it's either that or, if the "other forum" is Rokslide, it could be Seekins since a few guys there have apparently had cracked rings with those. OP, rings/mounts can have defects independent of hard use. Hell there's some guy running around SH claiming to have seen a few ARC M-Brace rings fail due to the hinge pin cracking.