Substitute for unobtanium (to me) primers?

Strbrd22

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 1, 2024
Western NY
Just got back into reloading after being out of the game for about 5 years. All of my 6.5 / 308 data is using Federal GM Lg Rifle primers. I have 400 left and can't find them anywhere (except for a few scam websites) ... I know they were popular 'back in the day' (2018 haha) because they were cheaper than CCI and consistent. In 2024, what primer are you guys using that is available & comparable? I am not worried about price. I also have some CCI No. 200 primers... Just looking for consistent ignition and I'd rather not have to mess with / rediscover my load data. Thanks!

Like the others.... I had to adapt after the last election and Covid changed the landscape.
While I was prepared and all set, most of my club mates got caught short. Being retired early in life, I became the designated shopper for their shortages. However, the old methods were too slow and didn't work. Long winded way of telling you to learn to use ShootingBot and Ammoseek if you plan on staying in this game. Good Luck and in for the range reports.

I buy them when I see them. But I went ahead and bought some alpha 6.5 srp brass. Srp is easier to find and the alpha brass seems to have lower sd/es so far.
interesting. Right around when i got out of the game, i picked up 100 SRP Alpha 308. Still have them and may do some research. Only problem is I hunt in cold WX and ive heard that can be a limfac. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Just got back into reloading after being out of the game for about 5 years. All of my 6.5 / 308 data is using Federal GM Lg Rifle primers. I have 400 left and can't find them anywhere (except for a few scam websites) ... I know they were popular 'back in the day' (2018 haha) because they were cheaper than CCI and consistent. In 2024, what primer are you guys using that is available & comparable? I am not worried about price. I also have some CCI No. 200 primers... Just looking for consistent ignition and I'd rather not have to mess with / rediscover my load data. Thanks!
CCI-200's work just fine. I tried some Remington 9 1/2's for the first time a couple months ago and they did awful. Other's have said their 9 1/2's worked just fine, but not the batch I have. Rem 7 1/2's worked great in my small primer pocket .308 brass. For you're .308, may you might try the small primer pocket brass, which will help conserve for the large for your 6.5's?

I have used SRP brass in my 6.5 SLR , never had a problem with them going off. I used CCI match forever until I got a bad batch, switched too the 450’s and haven’t looked back. Same load and my sd actually went down.

Telling that these hadn’t sold out within minutes of coming in stock this morning and are still available even tonight.
Telling what?

Telling what?
adjective. If something is telling, it shows the true nature of a person or situation

I’m mainly talking about market forces and the economy. GM210M in stock is a new situation over the last 3 years. Been in stock 24 hours now; are people finally over the prices? Hurt enough elsewhere to not have Benjamins for reloading?

adjective. If something is telling, it shows the true nature of a person or situation

I’m mainly talking about market forces and the economy. GM210M in stock is a new situation over the last 3 years. Been in stock 24 hours now; are people finally over the prices? Hurt enough elsewhere to not have Benjamins for reloading?
That is the only one in stock, though, on that entire list in post #12