• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Suggestion for at the range reloading scale

Old Corps 8541

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2022
Milton FL
Looking for suggestions from actual users for a reloading scale that I can use at the range. As an example of small, something something like the Smart Weight series of scales. My 80 year old eyes would like something with a little larger view screen.
Thank you

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I've seen people build boxes around a scale to keep out the wind and dust/dirt. Made out of either wood or some clear plastic material that must be static free.

The other approach is to use a powder thrower like benchrest shooters use to use all the time - some still do. The Harrell powder measure/thrower has a click adjustable knob that provides for accurate adjustment. When using N133 powder in one of these, one click gives you a 0.1 grain change in powder weight. Using a power throw type of dispenser still has it's short comings in terms of repeatable charge weights. The users technique has a lot to do with it.

I had a Culver Conversion that was very repeatable with most powders , then it with a lot of reloading supplies were washed away when a hurricane put about 4' of water in my reloading shop.
This request was more for a downsized indoor reloading bench. An internet search for ratings on scales of this type produces a few lists with the none of the top rated ones being the same. Since most of them look alike with just a few differences , I figure they all came out of the same shop in china. Oh well

• Wow
Reactions: ShtrRdy
Yes, it is a shame the old reliable GemPro 250 went away. That one fit the bill for many folks but it was discontinued and the succesor doesn't really work for trickling. Be very careful not to just grab something off the internet unless you know it has been recommended by reloaders. Many cheap digital scales do not respond to trickling.

I would still consider a type and style you didn't ask about, as in a ChargeMaster Lite and a rechargeable battery pack.
Many BR folks run these without any additional wind break because it is built into the unit. It isn't hi-resolution like an FX120 or anything like that, but for 600 yards and in, it does fine.

All of these styles and systems have their quirks, and the ChargeMaster Lite certainly has some of its own too, but for the money and value, it does a decent job in the field. It is very common to see these at BR matches and with folks that run load development in the field.
I have gifted several to folks starting up, and still run two of the older style machines when working at the range myself.

These do tend to have over-throws and like anything it takes a learning curve on how to set up your work flow to keep the frustrations to a minimum. Strong winds and rapid temperature swings can happen, but you learn to keep the machine as sheltered as possible and check for calibration and zero drift regularly. As long as you are okay with an uncertainty of about +/- 0.1 grains, you can run with one of these, and something like this battery pack. The Y-harness plugs right into the ChargeMaster and you are off to the races.
Semper Fi.
1727378080422.png
1727378409867.png