• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suitable conversion for an Remington 40 x single shot centerfire target rifle

cuirc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2023
    Poughkeepsie n. y.
    I have a Remington 40 X in 222 Rem I would like to convert it to a more popular cartridge that is well supported. I am completely open to suggestions on what that should be. But I would like to wind up with something that can shoot long range within the limits of the available cartridges and the rifle.

Get it rechambered to 223 or 223ai (if you reload). If it's in the original wood marksman style stock leave it alone. Don't go trying to turn it into some 'PRS' gun and ruin a nice classic rifle.

Unless you swap out the bolt you would need to stay in the .380 bolt face family which includes 17 Rem, 221 Fireball, 204 Ruger, 222 Rem, 223 Rem and so on.....

There is no problem swapping out the bolt. you can get a new bolt from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Right now subject to change /i am considering 6.5 x47 Lapua or 300 Winchester short magnum; assuming the action length would accommodate this.
    Haven't researched anything yet. I have two other 40 X one in .223, which I am swamping out the barrel to a 7 twist to give me a wide range of bullet weights to choose from. A second is in .243 Winchester. I have yet to determine if a have to correct the twist. Both of these are in original classic form which I will keep that way. The third is a complete open blank book for final configuration. I have a range of loads made up for the .243 and next week I will take it to the range and see how it does before making any decisions. I favor the classic look over the new chassis style but some of he new calibers are really made for the chassis. More later.