• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sunshades

p620346

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2007
New Jersey
After reading a rave review of the Tasco 6-24x42mm Target/Varmit scope here I ordered one for my Savage 93 .17HMR. Does anyone know if there is a sunshade available for this scope or if one from another company would fit?

Re: Sunshades

I have that scope, and I don't even bother to look for a sun shade. The scope is so cheap, buying something to fit it just isn't cost effective.

I go to Wallyworld and buy a package of black computer cardstock.

I overlap/tape two pieces end to end, and trim so it's about 1/2" longer than the length of barrel exposed in front of the scope objective. I roll it it into a tube about 1/2" larger in diameter than the scope objective. Using velcro stick-on dots, I establish contact/mount points at the end of the barrel, and just under the scope objective. I mount the mirage tube for shooting, and remove it for travel. Just make certain it's mounted just shy of the muzzle, or the blast will beat up the end of the tube. Makes a <span style="font-style: italic">huge</span> difference with heat shimmer off the barrel.

Why the extra 1/2" diameter? So you can reach alongside the objective bell with your index finger and push down on the velcro from the inside of the tube.

Cheap, easy to make, replaceable in a few minutes; and it works.

Greg