• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Suppressor cleaning !!!

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
I clean my evo with paint thinner every once in a while and was wondering if their are better cleaning methods out their ? I have a friend who uses a heated ultra sonic cleaner for his suppressors, I want something that really brakes the carbon and gun powder residue, i bough a used 45acp sub gun can and when i get it in i would really like to clean the thing out before i get all "gi joe" with it ( hahaha ) i was wondering if MEK would work ? the suppressor is aluminum so i cannot use any thing to aggressive.

Any way what are some other solvents/methods used by every one else ?

Re: Suppressor cleaning !!!

You are using pretty harsh chemicals on soft metals. I would advise against that.

Ultrasonic cleaners are ok every once in awhile, but there is no need to clean a centerfire can that much. Pistol cans can be soaked in soapy water overnight. Dawn and water, let the can sit in it.... drain it out and blow air thru it with a compressor. Oil the inside and let it stand end on end for 30 minutes. You will be surprised how much crap comes out.

Break dust cleaner works for a quick clean out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are using pretty harsh chemicals on soft metals. I would advise against that.

Ultrasonic cleaners are ok every once in awhile, but there is no need to clean a centerfire can that much. Pistol cans can be soaked in soapy water overnight. Dawn and water, let the can sit in it.... drain it out and blow air thru it with a compressor. Oil the inside and let it stand end on end for 30 minutes. You will be surprised how much crap comes out.

Break dust cleaner works for a quick clean out. </div></div>

how about starting fluid ? never though about brake dust cleaner, hmm. Ya i just really wanna get all that crap cleaned out esp if it was used on a f/a gun. thanks for the tips

Go to Brownells, get something called "Slip 2000"

It looks like milk and doesn't stink like chemicals too badly.

Drop the suppressor, muzzle down into a container of the stuff and let it sit for about an hour.

Wash the suppressor out according to the directions on the Slip 2000 bottle, pour the used S2000 back through a coffee filter and save it for the next time you need to clean the can.

This is the method that we've been using for a little while on rimfire and centerfire cans. It was given to me by Dave Wells, works like a charm.

ETA:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23534/Product/SLIP_2000_GUN_CARE_PRODUCTS

Guys, remember to do all of this OUTSIDE. These chemicals and diesel ideas will work but can really ruin your day if you inhale to much!

Another note on ultrasonic cleaners. I was told by a machinist that he would not recommend that cleaning method often, even at all on suppressors. Something about the static the cleaner makes can weaken welds in the can over time, the recoil would cause the baffles to break loose. Just something I thought needed to be passed on.

No starting fluid. If you don't get all of it out..... guess what happens next time you fire? BOOM

Stick with what I gave you and the Slip2000 idea works from what I hear. Diesel and other "harder" chemicals should be a last resort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, remember to do all of this OUTSIDE. These chemicals and diesel ideas will work but can really ruin your day if you inhale to much!

Another note on ultrasonic cleaners. I was told by a machinist that he would not recommend that cleaning method often, even at all on suppressors. Something about the static the cleaner makes can weaken welds in the can over time, the recoil would cause the baffles to break loose. Just something I thought needed to be passed on.

No starting fluid. If you don't get all of it out..... guess what happens next time you fire? BOOM

Stick with what I gave you and the Slip2000 idea works from what I hear. Diesel and other "harder" chemicals should be a last resort. </div></div>

will do, i have the sink filled with water and some dish soap in their now so ill try this until i can get the slip2k

It's not. I've had to drop my rimfire can into boiling water to get it open after a lot of rounds even though is heavily coated with anti-seize inside. The boiling water didn't hurt anything. These cans get amazingly dirty after a few hundred rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your cleaning is doing more damage to the silencer than good. </div></div>

ok why so ?

Its pretty simple, how do you know what has been cleaned out. You can't disassemble the Evo, and soaking it in a hot soap bath will just turn the carbon build up to a sludge, given that the hot water has time to loosen the build up, and since you can't take a brush to the baffles or visually inspect them, how do you know what's left inside, or where its at inside the can. AAC has instructions for when (Sparingly) and how to clean their products, and they don't need to be cleaned like a rimfire can. Your can isn't building up lead inside it like a 22LR, and harsh chemicals will jujst deteriorate the can. The Evo's internals are aluminum, harsh chemicals + soft material = waste of money. Ever wonder why rimfire cans are able to be disassembled and centerfires cans usually aren't.
cry.gif
Lead Build Up, what lead build up are you going to get from a .45, are you shooting wad-cutters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its pretty simple, how do you know what has been cleaned out. You can't disassemble the Evo, and soaking it in a hot soap bath will just turn the carbon build up to a sludge, given that the hot water has time to loosen the build up, and since you can't take a brush to the baffles or visually inspect them, how do you know what's left inside, or where its at inside the can. AAC has instructions for when (Sparingly) and how to clean their products, and they don't need to be cleaned like a rimfire can. Your can isn't building up lead inside it like a 22LR, and harsh chemicals will jujst deteriorate the can. The Evo's internals are aluminum, harsh chemicals + soft material = waste of money. Ever wonder why rimfire cans are able to be disassembled and centerfires cans usually aren't.
cry.gif
Lead Build Up, what lead build up are you going to get from a .45, are you shooting wad-cutters.

</div></div>

checkmate you win

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its pretty simple, how do you know what has been cleaned out. You can't disassemble the Evo, and soaking it in a hot soap bath will just turn the carbon build up to a sludge, given that the hot water has time to loosen the build up, and since you can't take a brush to the baffles or visually inspect them, how do you know what's left inside, or where its at inside the can. AAC has instructions for when (Sparingly) and how to clean their products, and they don't need to be cleaned like a rimfire can. Your can isn't building up lead inside it like a 22LR, and harsh chemicals will jujst deteriorate the can. The Evo's internals are aluminum, harsh chemicals + soft material = waste of money. Ever wonder why rimfire cans are able to be disassembled and centerfires cans usually aren't.
cry.gif

</div></div>

Never seen a can fired on a centerfire rifle with cast bullets have you? Shoot enough of them and you'll see the same effect.

The first time we tried full power loads with a 7.62x54R in a can that was setup to be taken apart the outter tube and aft cap were about the only things that could be salvaged, EVERYTHING else was bent/twisted/F'd up from the blast/pressure wave. That's the beauty of having a machine shop and a Form 1, it didn't cost much to fix and I learned a good lesson.

On using Diesel. How much pressure do you think is created by lighting diesel fumes in a space with limited airspace that still has exhaust ports on it? Liquids don't burn, vapors burn. Don't worry about the "BOOM" idea in a can, there isn't enough airspace and vaporspace to cause it to KB. It takes muzzle blasts that are in excess of 20 ATM, burning diesel or lighter fluid fumes won't create that. This isn't a contained, variable volume vessel like a diesel cylinder head.

If you boiled the can over a flame and the water is always in the pot, how is it possible to get the boiling water (and therefore the suppressor) over boiling water temp? Basic temperature balance guys, it doesn't work that way. As long as you don't boil it dry you don't have anything to worry about, even with AL 3003 annealed stuff that's as soft as chewing gum.

Carbon sludge is not going to clog things up to where the can is going to come apart, flush the thing out well with water (ever heard of a wet suppressor? Water is a classic filler for wet cans) and then shake it out to let it drain well. If you're really worried about it being dry inside let it sit in the same closet that the house's heating unit is housed in (not sitting anywhere on the unit though) and leave it for a few hours. It will dry out.

If you can't wait that long, pour some rubbing alcohol in there, shake it around and pour it all out. Then let it dry for 20 mins, maybe blow air through it if you need to feel better.

Check for an obstruction (again, this is to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside) and run the thing.

The warning about ultrasonics IS RIGHT! Ultrasonic cleaners will break welds, I've seen it happen in many little welded parts over years spent making stuff for firearms, race cars, motorcycles, and airplanes. Steer clear of them on welded cans.

James, here's the EASIEST thing to do if you really want to clean that can...

Use the Slip 2000, rinse it, shake it out, run it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its pretty simple, how do you know what has been cleaned out. You can't disassemble the Evo, and soaking it in a hot soap bath will just turn the carbon build up to a sludge, given that the hot water has time to loosen the build up, and since you can't take a brush to the baffles or visually inspect them, how do you know what's left inside, or where its at inside the can. AAC has instructions for when (Sparingly) and how to clean their products, and they don't need to be cleaned like a rimfire can. Your can isn't building up lead inside it like a 22LR, and <span style="color: #FF0000">harsh chemicals will jujst deteriorate the can. The Evo's internals are aluminum, harsh chemicals + soft material = waste of money.</span> Ever wonder why rimfire cans are able to be disassembled and centerfires cans usually aren't.
cry.gif

</div></div>

I've said that already. He wouldn't listen. Almost the same way as an ultrasonic cleaner is a bad idea for centerfire and pistol cans.

Basically what we are telling you is don't worry about cleaning the can. If it's a 22lr suppressor, then ok go ahead when you take it apart.

So Bohem, you are telling me that if I fill my can with diesel or gas let it drain out then fire Im not going to get a loud pop or some flame? If you are telling me that, then you are dead wrong. I have seen some pretty dumb cleaning methods before and I have seen a YHM Phantom come off an M1A to be "cleaned". The person used diesel and a tooth brush and when he was done he just turned it up and shook all of it out that he could, not using a compressed hose and nozzle. He put the can back on the M1A and BOOM. It sounded like he went 3 round burst. The can and rifle were fine but it was smoking like crazy. Guess that hot projectile cant ignite what little fumes and fluid (which is highly flammable), right? Or is this another Mythbusters episode that I need to wait for?
confused.gif
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically what we are telling you is don't worry about cleaning the can. If it's a 22lr suppressor, then ok go ahead when you take it apart.

So Bohem, you are telling me that if I fill my can with diesel or gas let it drain out then fire Im not going to get a loud pop or some flame? If you are telling me that, then you are dead wrong. I have seen some pretty dumb cleaning methods before and I have seen a YHM Phantom come off an M1A to be "cleaned". The person used diesel and a tooth brush and when he was done he just turned it up and shook all of it out that he could, not using a compressed hose and nozzle. He put the can back on the M1A and BOOM. It sounded like he went 3 round burst. The can and rifle were fine but it was smoking like crazy. Guess that hot projectile cant ignite what little fumes and fluid (which is highly flammable), right? Or is this another Mythbusters episode that I need to wait for?
confused.gif
shocked.gif
</div></div>

I said you're not going to damage it, smartass.

So now "BOOM" doesn't mean the same thing as a Ka-Boom, aka, damaged equipment? I'll make sure to note that anytime you, as opposed to anyone else, warns of a "BOOM" it means noise, not damage... got it.

Boiling water to harm everyday metals? I'll keep that in mind.

Diesel or Kero are too harsh for aluminum? Check... irregardless of the fact that intake plenums are built from aluminum parts...

Hot projectiles igniting gases or maybe it was the high pressure, high temp muzzle blast that caused the ignition?

Boltripper's way works, Slip2k works, boiling in water isn't great but it's not going to damage the can, and lighting diesel fumes in it isn't going to hurt the thing, as I clearly stated but you couldn't comprehend... which is why your panties are all bunched up apparently.

Yeah, the boiling water didn't seem dangerous to me either, it seems as though you probably are going to get the can hotter than 100c if you are running it on a subgun anyhow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So now "BOOM" doesn't mean the same thing as a Ka-Boom, aka, damaged equipment? I'll make sure to note that anytime you, as opposed to anyone else, warns of a "BOOM" it means noise, not damage... got it.

Boiling water to harm everyday metals? I'll keep that in mind.

Diesel or Kero are too harsh for aluminum? Check... irregardless of the fact that intake plenums are built from aluminum parts...

Hot projectiles igniting gases or maybe it was the high pressure, high temp muzzle blast that caused the ignition?

Boltripper's way works, Slip2k works, boiling in water isn't great but it's not going to damage the can, and lighting diesel fumes in it isn't going to hurt the thing, as I clearly stated but you couldn't comprehend... which is why your panties are all bunched up apparently.

</div></div>

I was always under the impression that Boom was a noise as a result of something, not a reaction of destruction? Or maybe my science teacher was a real dumbass.....

Noises can often be associated with events. I can see your confusion and will always be MORE clear when addressing the general population so you can understand where I'm coming from.

Good day to you sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
laugh.gif
I thought Ka-Boom = Glock
laugh.gif
</div></div>

HAHAHAHAHAHAH