• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Suppressor throwing off accuracy?

wyattgtx

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2024
Texas
Is there a possibility my new can is opening my groups up. I am shooting a .223 Wylde and until recently I’ve always had a .30 cal can on it. I recently picked up a 556 YHM Fat Cat and using the same load it seems like my groups went from sub moa to 1-2 moa.

I like YHM cans, but moved away from their phantom qd mount. About 1/2 of mine lock up between notches, and the built in slop doesn’t account for the difference. I’ve found more than 1- ever so perceptibly- loose after shooting. Maybe it doesn’t affect anything, but it doesn’t inspire confidence.

I say all that to say “check the mount…”

I like YHM cans, but moved away from their phantom qd mount. About 1/2 of mine lock up between notches, and the built in slop doesn’t account for the difference. I’ve found more than 1- ever so perceptibly- loose after shooting. Maybe it doesn’t affect anything, but it doesn’t inspire confidence.

I went round and around with this very thing. I finally filed the "flats" that are under the lock ring so that the toothed ring would move forward enough to fall into the next notch. That solved my problem. And yes, I think it was affecting the accuracy.

It doesnt effect anything on my two. Remove and reinstall. POI shift is the same every time. The only trouble I have had with repeatability was trying to put the SS can all way on. I have to back it off one click from tight. My TI can I do not. I can tighten it all the way and click the retaining ring over the last half notch usually. Even when not though. Same POI shift and groups don't open up.

Here is 5 though the SS backed off a click. I

20240416_144613.jpg

I loaded some of my hand loads last night and decided to go and try both suppressors this morning to see if this was all just in my head. I shot three, five shot groups. I started with the top left and top right with the YHM Fat Cat mounted. I made sure the suppressor was tightened down and secured completely. The bottom left is the same exact hand load the only difference is I had a Banish 30 suppressor attached. The difference is day and night. @hlee

Attachments

• SIX_FCD32E05-0029-4749-8710-9E4AF6FC3B2E.jpeg
    SIX_FCD32E05-0029-4749-8710-9E4AF6FC3B2E.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Baron23
I loaded some of my hand loads last night and decided to go and try both suppressors this morning to see if this was all just in my head. I shot three, five shot groups. I started with the top left and top right with the YHM Fat Cat mounted. I made sure the suppressor was tightened down and secured completely. The bottom left is the same exact hand load the only difference is I had a Banish 30 suppressor attached. The difference is day and night. @hlee
Put the fat cat on a different rifle. Shoot this one with the banish 30...

I loaded some of my hand loads last night and decided to go and try both suppressors this morning to see if this was all just in my head. I shot three, five shot groups. I started with the top left and top right with the YHM Fat Cat mounted. I made sure the suppressor was tightened down and secured completely. The bottom left is the same exact hand load the only difference is I had a Banish 30 suppressor attached. The difference is day and night. To add I’m not intentionally shooting high and left my scope is still zeroed to a previous load lol.@hlee

Barrel s

Barrel was threaded from factory, no baffle strikes, QD was installed as tight as it will go with no wobble in it.
I'd still shove an alignment rod in there to confirm.

Some baffle strikes can be very, very small (slight?) and hard to see....but IME even a very slight strike results in far more shift of POI than you are seeing. Looking in there with a bore scope is often helpful in ID'ing these very minor strikes.

As for "factory" threading of the muzzle...just me, but that doesn't automatically induce confidence. Ah, what factory?

Sorry, I'm low and slow and out of ideas. Best of luck.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I had a direct thread YHM phantom Ti back in the day that made every barrel (3-4 different ones) I put it on shoot like yours…basically 1-1.5moa at best, on precision bolt guns

different loads made it no better

Same barrels shot great w/ my sico omega and hybrid w/ either direct or brake attach

I contacted YHM and sent pics and they basically said “meh it’s good enough, prolly shooter”

I gave the YHM away to a buddy who was gunna use it on a blaster AR…he just paid for the transfer/stamp

Haven’t missed it once lol

All my cans now are Tbac or sico and I haven’t had accuracy issues with any of them

Would really like to know more regarding this topic. I'm currently fighting accuracy issues too, having a hard time getting under true 1-1.5 moa with suppressed 5.56. Tried 69/77 OTM etc but the best luck I've had so far is flat base 55 even with 1:7 twist. I'm wondering if some suppressor/muzzle devices mess with boat tail bullets.

That said I'm not ruling out gun issues or shooting skills.

Would really like to know more regarding this topic. I'm currently fighting accuracy issues too, having a hard time getting under true 1-1.5 moa with suppressed 5.56. Tried 69/77 OTM etc but the best luck I've had so far is flat base 55 even with 1:7 twist. I'm wondering if some suppressor/muzzle devices mess with boat tail bullets.

That said I'm not ruling out gun issues or shooting skills.
Check out the picture I posted this morning. Shows the differences in accuracy when I took the 556 can off and put the 30 cal can on.

It doesn’t appear that one could argue that swapping cans no effect on accuracy in your case.
I’d run the Banish 30 on that rig.

Reactions: wyattgtx
Check out the picture I posted this morning. Shows the differences in accuracy when I took the 556 can off and put the 30 cal can on.

For sure. I need to do the same test. I wonder what is causing the actual problem though. I read that the bullet can "follow" the baffles if not aligned correctly but I'm not sure if its true or not.

i have an old HTG Eureka thread mount 223 can on a barrel that is 1 moa with and without the can. that particular suppressor has never thrown accuracy off on any barrel.

not sure i can say the same for my AAC stuff that used QD mounts . they are not the most accuracy enhancing devices.

maybe the extra weight of the mount? maybe the QD interface, because AAC’s mounts suck? if i wanted accuracy from a can, i’d stay with thread mounted but would like to hear more accuracy stories from QD mounted cans.

I contacted YHM and showed them my results from accuracy test yesterday and was told that it’s normal to lose that much accuracy and pretty much to deal with it and it was good enough.
While this has not been my experience with the R2 on a 5.56 rifle, it is also a 30 cal can. And, when you put a suppressor on a rifle, you kind of imply that precision is a secondary concern. With that, I’d put the Banish 30 back on that rifle and move forward.

Reactions: tucaz and wyattgtx