• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Suppressors for .22 PRS, huge variation.

axis007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2024
texas
Hello, new to Sniper Hide, I have moved up from 10/22 to CZ 457 to my latest a VICTRIX Venus Pro 26inch 1/16 twist rate.
I have been using a standard .30 cal suppressor, now just picked up my Sparrow 22.
AMMO is about 1050-1075fps ELEY Tenex or Lapua Center-X is what I have been using
on the .30 cal I am using an thread adapter 5/8 to M18/1
grouping about a dime size at 50 yards
the Sparrow 22 is shooting about 12 inch low at 50 yards compare to my .30 cal (which is roughly the same POI) without a Suppressor.
on the Sparrow I am using a thread adapter 1/2 to M18/1
at 50 yards, it is all over the place ....about 1 inch spread, I like to keep the sparrow on, so I can move the other can to another rifle, is there possible baffle strike on the Sparrow 22? is the suppressor not the best for PRS, am I doing something wrong? can it be the thread adapter ?

or is there so much overbore (slop) on the 30 cal it is more forgiving ? and advise would be helpful.

Open it up and check if you're concerned about baffle strikes. Did you check clearance with a well fitting cleaning rod?

However long term I wouldn't recommend a suppressor for 22lr PRS unless you keep it insanely clean and even then expect some of your shots to go wild by the end of the day if you ever tilt your muzzle up.

I tried one for a while, it doesn't take much carbon falling into the barrel/action to make you miss. Outside of the my rifle shot the same with or without my oculus on it.

If that 30cal isn't user serviceable be very careful using it, 22 fouls up suppressors very fast.

Reactions: Keith E.
.22 suppressed has a difficult timing registering on shot timers for any timed stages. If you’re serious about PRS, I wouldn’t recommend shooting suppressed as there will be human error in your timed stages.

Sounds like you have an alignment / baffle strike issue.

I would HIGHLY recommend ditching the suppressor for 22LR PRS matches. The noise isn’t bad at all, and adding a suppressor is only a liability in terms of performance. If it comes loose, you miss. If it drops carbon/lead back into the barrel when you go muzzle up, you can have issues. They make it extremely difficult to use shot timers, which are gaining traction in the sport. No one near the top runs a suppressor - I just RO’d NRL22 nationals - I think the number of suppressors could be counted on one hand out of the 270 competitors and 60 RO’s.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
There is certainly a “giggle factor” to shooting a suppressed 22lr rifle with SV ammo. They are the only firearms that are truly movie quiet. But, a precision 22lr match is not where I use one. My match rifle doesn’t even have a threaded barrel. 22lr is quiet enough that a single layer of ear pro (muffs OR plugs) is sufficient. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze. That is not to say, however, that my nearly identically built- though threaded and suppressed- 22lr rifle is not a blast to shoot. It is, but it doesn’t go to matches.

I shoot suppressed for matches because my accuracy doesn't change.

The last timed stage I shot the bolt made enough noise to trip the timer. It's not an issue if the guy running the timer isn't a complete idiot.

The last timed stage I shot the bolt made enough noise to trip the timer. It's not an issue if the guy running the timer isn't a complete idiot.
It certainly can be an issue. RO’ing a recent major, several times I would see the timer pickup the last shot, bolt close, and a neighboring shooter shots when we had to have them set super sensitive for suppressed shooters. Now you’re having to rely on the RO to watch the timer like a hawk instead of their primary focus which is the shooter and safety, and risking them mixing up what sound triggered which reading that flashed across the screen for a few hundredths of a second. RO more matches and you’ll see the problems cranking the sensitivity creates.

It certainly can be an issue. RO’ing a recent major, several times I would see the timer pickup the last shot, bolt close, and a neighboring shooter shots when we had to have them set super sensitive for suppressed shooters. Now you’re having to rely on the RO to watch the timer like a hawk instead of their primary focus which is the shooter and safety, and risking them mixing up what sound triggered which reading that flashed across the screen for a few hundredths of a second. RO more matches and you’ll see the problems cranking the sensitivity creates.

You have the RO doing the timer?

We generally self score, spot, etc. Shoot the whole match without an RO. But we have a timer man for any timed stages. That's his whole job.

Guess we're lucky, the biggest idiot I've had to deal with at a match so far was the sheriff trying to flag the entire range...

I have 3 different rimfire cans and every one of them opens up after about 200-250 rounds, you might want to test your theory. I have a dedicated match rifle that does not have a threaded muzzle so I am not even tempted to shoot a match with one. Shot timers do not work well with suppressed rimfire....regardless of what you think of the RO's

I have 3 different rimfire cans and every one of them opens up after about 200-250 rounds, you might want to test your theory. I have a dedicated match rifle that does not have a threaded muzzle so I am not even tempted to shoot a match with one. Shot timers do not work well with suppressed rimfire....regardless of what you think of the RO's

And I clean my cans?

It sounds more like there's a lot of "I don't do it so you shouldn't either". Fuck that.

You have the RO doing the timer?

We generally self score, spot, etc. Shoot the whole match without an RO. But we have a timer man for any timed stages. That's his whole job.

Guess we're lucky, the biggest idiot I've had to deal with at a match so far was the sheriff trying to flag the entire range...
Yes, one on the timer and safety, one or two spotting at major matches. Spotters need to be on glass to do their job, they can’t do that and hold the timer near someone’s muzzle. I’ve never seen a different person running the timer in ~20 years of shooting USPSA, 3-Gun, PRS, or NRL22. Timers don’t require that level of babysitting with anything other than suppressed rimfire.

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Yes, one on the timer and safety, one or two spotting at major matches. Spotters need to be on glass to do their job, they can’t do that and hold the timer near someone’s muzzle. I’ve never seen a different person running the timer in ~20 years of shooting USPSA, 3-Gun, PRS, or NRL22. Timers don’t require that level of babysitting with anything other than suppressed rimfire.

Guess we have just done things different at every single match I've been to. Squad self scored, spotted, and ran a timer. 99% of the time it's a countdown kitchen timer.

Outside of 3 gun the only stages I've ever been timed on were for tie-breaker only.

No wonder clubs have piss poor participation and lack of ROs if you need them for every stage to spot, time, and babysit.

And I clean my cans?

It sounds more like there's a lot of "I don't do it so you shouldn't either". Fuck that.
And if you don't clean your cans frequent enough what happens.......the accuracy suffers, just like all of them.
Never once did I tell you what the fuck to do, was just offering suggestions but now you can go piss up a rope!

Reactions: chevy_man
Guess we have just done things different at every single match I've been to. Squad self scored, spotted, and ran a timer. 99% of the time it's a countdown kitchen timer.

Outside of 3 gun the only stages I've ever been timed on were for tie-breaker only.

No wonder clubs have piss poor participation and lack of ROs if you need them for every stage to spot, time, and babysit.
I’m speaking to major matches, where dedicated RO’s and shot timers are required to help ensure everyone is shooting the same match. Club matches are a lot more lax, we self-RO as well at those. If you’re not using shot timers, of course suppressors are a non-issue for timing.

And if you don't clean your cans frequent enough what happens.......the accuracy suffers, just like all of them.
Never once did I tell you what the fuck to do, was just offering suggestions but now you can go piss up a rope!

Sounded like you were trying to tell me what everyone already knows. Not sure how you thought that wouldn't elicit a smart assed response...