• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Surgeon Build From BlackOps Precision

BlackOps Tech

Still The Head Skunk
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
This build is for another LE Customer. He sent us his parts a couple of months ago and we took it from there.

The specs are:
Surgeon 591
Bartlein KUKRI Contour, 308, Custom Knurled Cap
Manners MCS-T2 with Mini Chassis, As Enhanced/Finished By BlackOps Precision (notice anything missing?)
Badger Ordnance EFR
Timney Trigger
BlackOps Precision Fit and Finish
MilSpec Cerakote (as modified/flattened by BlackOps Precision)
Catalyzed Polyurethane Enamel on Stock

okpwd5.jpg

2ahslcz.jpg

91j4zp.jpg

2m798x5.jpg

2dv3lmh.jpg

Re: Surgeon Build From BlackOps Precision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome bro, "that little guy? don't you worry bout that little guy"

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love it!!! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome build. </div></div>

Thanks Guys....

Joe, I shot the proto 1911 today....I'm stoked....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Head-Shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's looking good. I'd like to read a review of the final product and see how it does at the range. </div></div>

I'll range test it tomorrow, but I believe the owner is a member here. Maybe he'll post info from his range-time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that a T2 not T3? </div></div>

Good snag....Fixed it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle Mike!

You did texturing and some shaping on that stock right? Looks great. You go the extra mile. </div></div>

Thanks Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you shaved down the ejector cutout on the stock. Looks good. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got rid of that ugly head that the mini chassis has!!! That screw or bolt head always looked so out of place to me. Awesome work as always Mike. </div></div>

Keith and Adam, you guys are correct, but Chris nailed it.

We re-shaped all of the areas of the stock that are part of our normal finish profile and re-textured it, but the "missing" feature is the screw heads.

Can you explain the barrel contour? How much clearance is there inside the EFR and what is the max contour for the EFR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackOps Tech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle Mike!

You did texturing and some shaping on that stock right? Looks great. You go the extra mile. </div></div>

Thanks Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you shaved down the ejector cutout on the stock. Looks good. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got rid of that ugly head that the mini chassis has!!! That screw or bolt head always looked so out of place to me. Awesome work as always Mike. </div></div>

Keith and Adam, you guys are correct, but Chris nailed it.

We re-shaped all of the areas of the stock that are part of our normal finish profile and re-textured it, but the "missing" feature is the screw heads. </div></div>

The screw heads are a killer for me. It's the only reason I selected a McMillan for my build. I'm not surprised that it took a precision shop like yours to modify it. Great job, Sir!!!!!!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackOps Tech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome bro, "that little guy? don't you worry bout that little guy"

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love it!!! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome build. </div></div>

PICS YOU BASTARD!!!!

Thanks Guys....

Joe, I shot the proto 1911 today....I'm stoked.... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you explain the barrel contour? How much clearance is there inside the EFR and what is the max contour for the EFR?

</div></div>

LW,
The KUKRI contour is specific to BlackOps Tech and Bartlein does the barrels for us. Basically, it's a re-dimensioned Varmint contour, but the KUKRI contour is a double straight taper....there's no radius forward of the breech length.

With the KUKRI contour barrel, there's gobs of float space inside the EFR. The bore diameter in the EFR can accommodate a #7 barrel, but the timing of the taper inside the EFR is critical to providing enough float space around the barrel.

Some guys turn down the area of the barrel (on a #7 or other MTU type contour) that passes through the EFR to ensure enough float area. I created the RECON contour (an MTU contour that Bartlein also does for us) specifically to deal with float space in the EFR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackOps Tech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome bro, "that little guy? don't you worry bout that little guy"

</div></div>

PICS YOU BASTARD!!!!

Thanks Guys....

Joe, I shot the proto 1911 today....I'm stoked.... </div></div> </div></div>

Sorry Dude, it doesn't have any finish on it yet, but I figured I'd get an all caps response....
grin.gif

nothing but love for ya big guys, i'm excited to see your hand cannons. if your style translates over to the kind of 1911 i think it will, i'm very excited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nothing but love for ya big guys, i'm excited to see your hand cannons. if your style translates over to the kind of 1911 i think it will, i'm very excited. </div></div>

Thanks Joe. I usually get pretty pumped about the rifles, but I gotta say, I'm really stoked about the 1911. Now that the front sight is regulated, it can come apart and go to the finish room, but I think I'll take it back to the range tomorrow just to run another box of ammo through it....

I imagine I'll be in touch with you in less than two weeks....

The fit and finish on this gun look perfect.

I'm very excited to see the range report and excited to see these 1911's. What price range are we talking about. I hope it's not Nighthawk territory, at least price wise.

This is a really nice rifle. Its simple, functional, short, exactly what a law enforcement officer might need.

Fit and finish are outstanding, like always.

A little closed-cell foam and a stock pack or 100mph tape and it will work great.

Very similar to what I'm looking for Mike. I've been working late every night in preparation for my trip out west this afternoon. I'll give you a call when I'm back in town so we can finalize my build details.

Thanks Guys.

Since I've had a lot of questions about the 1911, I'll offer a bit of an update here.

I'll have the first RECON 1911 finished in about two weeks. I shot it yesterday and it's ready for the finish room, but we have to get a number of actions barreled and ready for stocks. Once we have the barreled actions sitting in the bedding, it's back on the 1911.

Once it's finished, it's off to the photographer (don't want to just lay it on the berm in front of the shop where I take the rifle photos).

A bit of a verbal preview. The RECON 1911 is a Commander sized 1911 with a short rail. We won't/don't use a magwell that's either integral to the mainspring housing or held to the mainspring housing by a screw. There are a few inherent issues with this.

First, there's no tortional integrity for the magwell. A sharp blow to either side of the magwell can either prevent the removal of a mag, or the insertion of a mag.

Second, attaching a magwell in this manner lengthens the grip of the frame, creating a larger imprint area when carrying concealed.

Our magwell is not integral (forged part of) to the grip, as I haven't been a fan of the aesthetics of this design. We machine the grip to accept a magwell that is tig welded. This offers greater strength and doesn't lengthen the grip. Our mainspring housing slides through the magwell and is then blended. This offers a full perimeter well, instead of the partial perimeter well of the other designs.

There are quite a few other significant differences, but the details will have to wait. I'll fill everyone in when I post the pics.

Mike, its work like this that makes me drool thinking about my build going on now.

Also very interested I. The 1911, are you going to offer any type of rifle and pistol package deal offering matched numbers and grip colors or something? I am going to need a bigger cal rifle after I get my .260 rem infidel from you and I think a matching set of 300 win mag and 1911 would be great.

Pat

What does that screw do? I thought it might be used to set the chassis. Is it still necessary after the chassis has been set to the stock?

Damn, I really like this build. For my next rifle I'm torn between ordering an AI or getting in line for one of your builds. Eventually I'll have both!