• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Surgeon / Cadex Fun Build

ESBVader

Total Noob
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
NC
I recently received a Cadex Field Competition chassis in a trade. The individual that traded it to me was very generous with respect to trade value. I think the blue duracoat might have thrown a few off and I had something close to what he was looking for though not exactly. So... thanks to him for extending the trade anyway!

I received the chassis in the following color / condition. I dropped in a Surgeon CSR BA (16") to test fit. There had been some rough filing done where I am assuming an extended scope rail interfered with the chassis (which he had explained was the case prior to the trade). I also noticed after dropping the BA in that I would never be able to fit a supressor with the existing fore end since it was about 1.5" too long in total. I also, in the end, had to mill out a very tiny bit around the bolt release to ensure clearance which wasn't too difficult. Other than that, it was just bright blue!

20190723-134110.jpg

I disassembled the chassis entirely, down to the last bolt and dropped the whole thing, with the exception of the butt pad, in Acetone and let it soak for around 12 hours. It had some light impact on the paint it in small spots but not enough to allow for the removal of the duracoat entirely. I ended up putting the parts in a sandblaster and after a few hours, ended up with a clean (mostly) aluminum chassis framework.

20190724-131207.jpg

I needed to address the fore end. I was originally looking into the cost of a different length and realized quickly that Cadex stuff is not cheap or easy to acquire! So, I am fortunate enough to have a hobby machine shop in my garage and took the fore end to my Bridgeport mill and started cutting. I came close to matching the geometry of the original shape, but not exactly. It was done free hand, but ended up looking close and, more importantly, mostly clean.

20190726-113058.jpg

Other than another pass at sandblasting, I needed to take care of the rougher cutout that had been done earlier near the scope rail. I couldn't come up with a fixture that would allow me to mill it safely so I took a file and did some slow tedious work to get it as straight and clean as possible.

20190726-113121.jpg

Lastly, I took it over to a friends house where we Cerakoted the chassis. That AI FDE/Brown/Tan color is very odd to match. He had several earth tones laying around that he had only used on a single project and I "winged" and put a few them together that I hoped would work well, not only with the Surgeon BA, but also to have some contrast and not a single washed out color. I ended up picking Cerakote Coyote and Glock FDE.

Here's where it sits for now. Still working on Glass, Bipod, Scope Rings, Grip, etc.

20190728-003226.jpg

In daylight...

20190728-141753.jpg

edited for grammar

Last edited:
I recently received a Cadex Field Competition chassis in a trade. The individual that traded it to me was very generous with respect to trade value. I think the blue duracoat might have thrown a few off and I had something close to what he was looking for though not exactly. So... thanks to him for extending the trade anyway!

I received the chassis in the following color / condition. I dropped in a Surgeon CSR BA (16") to test fit. There had been some rough filing done where I am assuming an extended scope rail interfered with the chassis (which he had explained was the case prior to the trade). I also noticed after dropping the BA in that I would never be able to fit a supressor with the existing fore end since it was about 1.5" too long in total. I also, in the end, had to mill out a very tiny bit around the bolt release to ensure clearance which wasn't too difficult. Other than that, it was just bright blue!

20190723-134110.jpg

I disassembled the chassis entirely, down to the last bolt and dropped the whole thing, with the exception of the butt pad, in Acetone and let it soak for around 12 hours. It had some light impact on the paint it in small spots but not enough to allow for the removal of the duracoat entirely. I ended up putting the parts in a sandblaster and after a few hours, ended up with a clean (mostly) aluminum chassis framework.

20190724-131207.jpg

I needed to address the fore end. I was originally looking into the cost of a different length and realized quickly that Cadex stuff is not cheap or easy to acquire! So, I am fortunate enough to have a hobby machine shop in my garage and took the fore end to my Bridgeport mill and started cutting. I came close to matching the geometry of the original shape, but not exactly. It was done free hand, but ended up looking close and, more importantly, mostly clean.

20190726-113058.jpg

Other than another pass at sandblasting, I needed to take care of the rougher cutout that had been done earlier near the scope rail. I couldn't come up with a fixture that would allow me to mill it safely so I took a file and did some slow tedious work to get it as straight and clean as possible.

20190726-113121.jpg

Lastly, I took it over to a friends house where we Cerakoted the chassis. That AI FDE/Brown/Tan color is very odd to match. He had several earth tones laying around that he had only used on a single project and I "winged" and put a few them together that I hoped would work well, not on with the Surgeon BA, but also to have some contrast and not a single washed out color. I ended up picking Cerakote Coyote and Glock FDE.

Here's where it sits for now. Still working on Glass, Bipod, Scope Rings, Grip, etc.

20190728-003226.jpg

In daylight...

20190728-141753.jpg
That is awesome.

Reactions: BCX and ESBVader
Thanks all!

Not a lot of people out there are willing to fuck with their Cadex chassis. This thing is awesome! Just don't put it down in the sand box or you'll never find it :eek:

Go big or go home right? I was surprised with the solid feel of the chassis and really liked how it felt overall. Decided that if I wanted to use it on any / all my platforms, I was going to have to do something about that fore end. Figured if I absolutely had to, I could replace it later.

Awesome work. You'll have to post up some pictures once you have it all back together and some optics on there.

Absolutely. Should have a bipod and grip in this week. I didn't have the money to drop the kind of scope I have on my other rifles (Minox ZP5, IOR Recon) on it, but I did order an Ares ETR for it that should be in before too much longer that should work fine.

Reactions: Iamero

20190723-134110.jpg

20190724-131207.jpg

20190726-113058.jpg

20190726-113121.jpg

Lastly, I took it over to a friends house where we Cerakoted the chassis. That AI FDE/Brown/Tan color is very odd to match. He had several earth tones laying around that he had only used on a single project and I "winged" and put a few them together that I hoped would work well, not only with the Surgeon BA, but also to have some contrast and not a single washed out color. I ended up picking Cerakote Coyote and Glock FDE.

20190728-003226.jpg

In daylight...

20190728-141753.jpg

edited for grammar
Excellent job. How did you disassemble the buttstock/recoil pad for Cerakoting? I thought the lever lock for the recoil pad would lose tension.

Excellent job. How did you disassemble the buttstock/recoil pad for Cerakoting? I thought the lever lock for the recoil pad would lose tension.
Try taking apart one of the quick adjustable models. There's a chore! I just decided not to stay with white and had mine done in tungsten. Got it back together last night.

Before:
IMG_20200517_171934966.jpg

After:
IMG_20200521_091451792_HDR.jpg

Reactions: BCX and ESBVader