• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tactical Gloves

auprospector

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2007
Rocky Mountain West
I'm looking for a pair of tactical gloves that don't have a lot of padding but the main purpose is to keep my hands from being torn up while doing manipulations or handling over heated weapons during sustained fire.

They'll mostly be used during training with rifles (AK's and AR's) and some handguns (Glock/1911's).

I have a large hand but short fingers and was thinking of an open finger design. Last February I was training for a week in snow, sleet, rain, and high winds. I ended up using some half fingered wool glove that I brought along as an after thought. They helped keep my hands somewhat protected and warm but they were pretty torn up by the end of the week and I threw them away.

Any help would be appreciated as to make/model/and actual use.

Thanks in advance for your input.

AuP

Re: Tactical Gloves

Off topic perhaps somewhat, but I am looking for a strategic tactical glove that screams "OPERATOR" even during the summer months. If I am enjoying a Fish&Chips at LongJohn Silvers, I want to know that I can tactically and strategically grasp and grip a tactical and strategic weapon or tactically and strategically fend off "counteroperators" that do not know of tactical and strategic glove strength. I do not need much padding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off topic perhaps somewhat, but I am looking for a strategic tactical glove that screams "OPERATOR" even during the summer months. If I am enjoying a Fish&Chips at LongJohn Silvers, I want to know that I can tactically and strategically grasp and grip a tactical and strategic weapon or tactically and strategically fend off "counteroperators" that do not know of tactical and strategic glove strength. I do not need much padding. </div></div>

Wraping my head around that axle

Just picked up a set of Coyote Mechanix to replace my torn ass flight gloves.

They aren't the tacticoolest, but being non-black will keep my hands cooler and they breathe a bit better than my Oakley SI Assault Gloves. I used them for our last training day and other than some carbon staining, they don't show any real wear. It's pretty easy to load a magazine while wearing them, which is always a bonus.

Stay away from the 5.11 Tac-AK. I destroyed a set pretty quickly. Blew a finger and thumb out, plus you need to trim the pad on the index finger to prevent it from catching on the trigger (especially with Glocks).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off topic perhaps somewhat, but I am looking for a strategic tactical glove that screams "OPERATOR" even during the summer months. If I am enjoying a Fish&Chips at LongJohn Silvers, I want to know that I can tactically and strategically grasp and grip a tactical and strategic weapon or tactically and strategically fend off "counteroperators" that do not know of tactical and strategic glove strength. I do not need much padding. </div></div>

Hey Forty-One,

Aren't you muddleing the differences between stategic grasping and tactical grasping? And what of Grand Strategic grasping?

Good to see your POV again Mang!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not need much padding. </div></div>

I think you may be overlooking the necessity of padding. In the past I have ground my knuckles into the wall when tactically applying the malt vinegar to my fish dinner. A set of hard knuckle protectors like those on my Oakley Assault Gloves would have prevented those painful splinters.

personally, I've been a fan of the nomex flight gloves. They are cheap and they have lasted me quite a while. I used one of the same sets through Mojave Viper in the middle of summer, through Iraq and Afghanistan. I've used oaklys and others before and just haven't had the same kind of luck. I always blow out thumbs and fingers. I've worn the nomex in rain and snow alike, and they are still going strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just haven't been able to find any real flight gloves locally.</div></div>

There's this new thing everyone's talking about, which you can find stuff to order for delivery to where you live. I think it's called the Internet, or something like that...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just haven't been able to find any real flight gloves locally.</div></div>

There's this new thing everyone's talking about, which you can find stuff to order for delivery to where you live. I think it's called the Internet, or something like that...
laugh.gif

</div></div> Brilliant!

I've gone through all sorts of gloves and they all end up torn or the seams give. I've had the Hatch, 5.11's, nomex flight gloves, Mechanix etc. I typically use the Mechanix M-Pact because they are readily available and cheap. I think I am going to try the CG Mechanix I saw at Home Depot or Lowes someday...leather palm and fingers. I am using a set I won last year that are holding up decently and have a towl like section for wiping sweat off. They are made by 10Zero and I guess the model is 9mm. I have a pair of Franklin tactical gloves with kevlar and nomex that I use for window porting or breaching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just haven't been able to find any real flight gloves locally.</div></div>

laugh.gif

</div></div>

Really? Dang. I just thought this thing was for distributing incorrect info?

I know I can order replacement flight gloves....however if I have to order a set of gloves, instead of ordering gloves made for the cockpit of an aircraft why wouldn't I order a set of gloves designed for my intended application?

That's kind of what I did.
wink.gif

Now obviously if this doesn't work out, I will just order a set of US Made flight gloves.

I bought a nifty pair of Hatch Operator Tacticool gloves but I keep coming back to my tight-fitting and surprisingly durable Walmart bike gloves called "Mongoose". Haven't found anything else as good for running and gunning (3 gun). Of course ... they ain't tacticool.
frown.gif

Never had flight gloves. I don't think my part-time boss would let me wear them in the King Air.
laugh.gif

So glad you're back....."counteroperators".....Hahahahaha!

-Pat

I have a pair of the oakley hard knuckles and there nice.. i wore them for a little while here in iraq, but they just get to damn hot. they are awesome gloves dont get me wrong, and nothing screams "tacti-cool" like those. But now im just rocking a pair of mechanics black gloves with some 550 stitched on for a easy grip to pull them on. they work just fine liberating iraqis from tyranny and oppression

my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what gloves would you all suggest for TACTICAL willy whackin ?!?! </div></div>

Nitrile gloves with lotion....the kind with aloe for those that like it a little rough.

i bought a pair of new oackley gloves like the troops wear for 40.00 off ebay a while ago but see them go pretty cheap every now and then

You guys are way overthinking this...

A good set of batting gloves is perfect. I have also had luck with golf gloves. Both are only slightly less than tacticool, so would not be ideal for the fish joint, but are great for actually shooting.

not american-made, but i really like the fit of the blackhawk commando fury gloves. good dexterity in the fingers and they break in quite well. the more i've abused them and got them wet, the more it shapes to my hand. sizing is hard to predict with blackhawk gloves though.

also like most mechanix gloves and the outdoor research crossbows.

Mechanix gloves are the way to go. You can pick up at least two sets for the average price of the tacticool gloves that are out there. I've used everything from flight gloves, Oakleys, and hatch, but I always end up going back to the Mechanix for durability, fit and feel.

I used to use Nomex Flight gloves when i was in the Australian Army mainly because they worked well in over 100 degrees and in wet tropical weather and the army gave them to me if i asked the correct people and working in Hot refuling we sourt of had a little access to hem used them for everything from refuling to all my other duties including even shooting a rifle every now and then. i still have a few pairs and i think they work well for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i6flex.jpg

Need I say more? </div></div>

Oh no, its turned sideways!! THATS A KILL SHOT!!!! instant victory!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carhart's for about $25.00. Work great for just about anything.

Tactical Farm Cool

There even in an already tacticool coyote tan </div></div>
Won't the lettering color difference give away my position? I've already had that problem with the white lettering on my turrets and am fresh out of krylon.

I use Craftsman gloves (the good black ones) that are actually mfg by Mechanix. They run ~ $20, but can be had for $9.99/pr on sale. Not padded, but does protect from Simunition hits.

I've been using my alpinestars motorsickle gloves, been great. Also, i have a pair of Chair Force issue knock-off mechanix gloves that work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Generally speaking, once you put the label of "tactical" on anything, you can charge more money for it.</div></div>
Much like tactical vagina.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just picked up a set of Coyote Mechanix to replace my torn ass flight gloves.

They aren't the tacticoolest, but being non-black will keep my hands cooler and they breathe a bit better than my Oakley SI Assault Gloves. I used them for our last training day and other than some carbon staining, they don't show any real wear. It's pretty easy to load a magazine while wearing them, which is always a bonus.

</div></div>

I bought some Mechanix for yardwork because they allowed good dexterity. Not an hour into the first day of use it occured to me I should buy another set and cut a finger down. I don't have a habit of routinely burning my thumb on the gasblock of my AR's while setting them down immediately after firing my last shot or anything like that where they might protect me in a useful way... I just thought they would look cool at the range. No, really, I know gas blocks are damn hot, and I'd never let that happen more than once. I'm not retarded. I haven't been burned recently, and that's the truth. It might be the gloves, but not having any issues like that, I wouldn't know for sure.