• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tactical Solutions barrel accuracy?

*Nine

Tactical Operator
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
USA
Initially I had a Shilen barrel on my 10/22. With concentration I could usually (not always though) shoot sub .5MOA 5 shot groups @ 50 yards. My fiance has that barrel on her 10/22 now and I have a Tactical Solutions barrel on mine because I wanted something lighter for informal plinking. I'm looking to make the rifle more accuracy oriented again, so I took it to my local range to see what the TacSol barrel would do. This was one of those days where I just didn't feel really great about my shooting, and the best I could manage was about 1MOA with 5 shots at 50 yards. I know the barrel isn't designed to be a match grade barrel, but what's a reasonable expectation of accuracy from it?

I was shooting SK Standard Plus ammo. I've had great luck with it. I didn't try any other ammo in the TacSol barrel, maybe that's another thing to look at.

Re: Tactical Solutions barrel accuracy?

Try different ammo, but the SK stuff is usually pretty good in most of my stuff (usually on par with Wolf).

The Tac-Sol barrels used to get a bunch of crap because a lot of people said that they weren't "match-grade". The actual technical reasons I heard attributed was that they were using a really loose "sporter" chamber, vs the Bentz found on a lot of other aftermarket tubes. Take all that FWIW (and I've never had one), but I've heard several people say that raw accuracy wasn't the greatest with their Tac-Sol tubes.

Oh..... and pics of fiance? (grin)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Hon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try different ammo, but the SK stuff is usually pretty good in most of my stuff (usually on par with Wolf).

The Tac-Sol barrels used to get a bunch of crap because a lot of people said that they weren't "match-grade". The actual technical reasons I heard attributed was that they were using a really loose "sporter" chamber, vs the Bentz found on a lot of other aftermarket tubes. Take all that FWIW (and I've never had one), but I've heard several people say that raw accuracy wasn't the greatest with their Tac-Sol tubes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Oh..... and pics of fiance? </span>(grin) </div></div>

She'd kill me for posting this one, she hates it, but here she is with her 10/22 before she modified it.

DSC03012.jpg

And one of her shooting it in its current state.

DSCF8972.jpg

+1 on trying different ammo. My TacSol 10/22 doesn't shoot as good as my other rifle w/a E.R. Shaw. It will hold .5" or a little under at 50yds but past about 75yds the groups open up a little. At 100 the best I've gotten was just over an inch with the TS barrel. For my intended use (informal plinking, suppressor host, light enough to not discourage my wife from shooting) it's great and fits the bill nicely.

I shoot sub moa 10 round groups at 50yds. I did have to use a pressure point on 10/22. It really likes cci green target, winchester subsonics and gold eagle match. From what I understand is that tactical solutions recommends is cci ammo. It does really well with my cci green target and mini-mags at 200 yds. Can usually hit skeet 8 out of 10 times if mother nature is nice.

In my view, the Tac Sol is simply not going to give you the accuracy you might be looking for.

I love Tac Sol. I have their barrels on one of my .22LR rifles, and on my Buckmark.

I also have one of their new X-Ring .22LR receivers (which I also love).

The Tac Sol barrel on my rifle is certainly "minute of ground squirrel" at 50+ yards, but it is nowhere near as accurate as my Volquartsen THM barrel.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks guys. I'll try some different ammo in it, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't shoot like my Shilen did. After trying the other ammo, if it doesn't shoot like I want I'll pick up a more precision-oriented barrel for the rifle.

My 10/22 has a tac sol barrel on it as well, I honestly was not looking for a match grade barrel, but wanted a light weight alternative. However my 10/22 does extremely well out to 100. Im a big fan of theirs. I also have the pac lite on my ruger. They are great.

I have a TacSol barrel on a Ruger 96/22 lever action and shoot .5 or less at 50yds but have not shot it any further out than that. I always shoot it with a suppressor and don't know if that changes the accuracy or not.

FWIW look at the Kidd barrels. Tony is now offering a light weight barrel that would fit your needs. I had a TacSol could not place in our local comps replaced it with a Kidd took third and I am shooting against Annies, hmrs, and rem 40x. Once I got the ammo straighten out I took 1st 4 weeks in a row. For the money you can’t beat a Kidd. I use SK rifle match .5" at 100 yards consistently, on a calm day it will do 10 shot 2" groups at 200.

I actually ended up going with a Kidd, but not their lightweight one. I've only had the chance to shoot it at 100 yards once so far, and I did manage a .75" group with it. I shot it at 200 this past weekend and managed to make regular hits on a 3" target. I'm new to the whole long range .22 thing, so I'm sure I'll improve as I keep it up. I was using SK Standard Plus.

Ya I was not to impressed with TacSol barrel. I have tried a few and this is the order in which I (imho) like the best for accuracy.
VQ carbon tension - Quantum barrel (Rimfire Technologies) - Whistle Pig - Green mountain & then Tac.Sol barrel .

Market what trigger group are you running? If it is not a Kidd and you have the money they are worth every penny. That in its self cut my groups down by a 1/3 night and day. I went with the 14oz. A headspace bolt helps as well. It is a lot of money for a 22 but when you shoot against guys that have $1000 plus bolt actions rifles and you out shoot them that’s just priceless.

I've got a Kidd trigger in it now. It's set for 2 pounds. When I got it I was using the rifle as a plinker and I didn't want to go too light with the trigger, so I figured 2 pounds was alright. I really love the trigger.

When you say a headspace bolt, are you talking about just making sure the bolt is holding the cartridge against the breechface firmly, rather than allowing it to have some free play?

No, he's probably talking about surface grinding the bolt straight, and to a rim thickness of .0425. Can help with occasional fliers. It's cheap (like $35) and might give you a better piece of mind. I personally didn't notice a huge improvement in the ones I've had done, though my current bolt has been "fixed".

This is the guy who did mine (and a lot of other peoples)

http://www.ct-precision.com/

**EDIT: Randy also pins the FP to make it more consistent in regards to placement on the (soon to be spent) primer. Forgot about that part.

J-Hon has it correct. I bought one of Tony’s bolts they are nice, upgraded Firing pin, and extractor claw. You will notice the biggest difference with bulk ammo. If you want really small groups try this take a box and sort them by weight 51.0-51.5, 51.5-52.0. The first box that I weighed out 2nd out of the box weight 50.8gr 3rd weighed 52.1. I then knew where my 100 yard flyers were coming from. Now that said not everyone wants to take the time to sort them, that’s why I suggest you try a box for yourself. Them you will know if it’s worth the effort to you.

Inline -

So are you talking about Tony's CNC'd bolt, or his "reworked" one?

His CNC bolt looks niiiice, and given that it's only a couple bucks more, would probably be the way to fly if I had it to do all over again.

With Tony's bolt, what kind of tangible difference did you notice, if any? You mention bulk pack ammo, did you ever try some Eley or other high-end ammo? Even sorted, I still noticed fliers from bulk-packs (which isn't that big a deal in reality, but it shows up when the game is group size).

I once went down the long road of trying to build a BR 10/22, which was a failing endeavor at the time (and likely still is). I went to single feeding the rifle to try and avoid the fliers, and was sorting Eley by weight AND rim thickness. Too much hassle, and I was still getting beat by turn bolts so I eventually wisened up and joined the club.

I have his CNC bolt its only like you said a few bucks more. Yes all I shoot out of that gun is SK Rifle Match (it beats wolf every time). I don’t do the rim thickness thing it’s a semi only so much you can do with it. Eley doesn’t work as good because of the lube (wax). The game I play is not true BR with that said on a good day with no wind I can do 5 shot groups in the teens. I have Pillar bedded the front action screw and the first 2" of the barrel along with the rear of the receiver. I also have a MPR 64 and it will not out shoot my 10/22.

Sorry to answer your question about the bolt I was able to get more consistent groups. also with his extractor I have yet to have case left in the chamber (2800 rounds)it pulls them out every time.