• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Take me to church

Quietguy88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2021
USA
Preach to me about a few things please;

American rifle company actions - is the mausingfield a good one?

The all carbonfiber manners stocks are good? I suspect that the laminated wood stocks are long dead, or do they still serve well?

Interested in using detachable magazines and having a doall type rifle. Had thought a 6.5-08 improved 40 would be about right. Using 24 to 26" barrel.

Send all the experience, insight or personal views my way please. I know zero and all responses will be taken in good faith.

Thank you.

Reactions: mi223 and The D
Laminate is better than pure wood if I understand right. They are less susceptible to wet weather issues that wood shows. I have a laminate stock 7-08, but it rarely gets used. Maybe 5 rounds it’s whole life, so no real info for you there. My hunting rifle is a synthetic stock so I can beat it up and take it swimming in the swamp. My shooters are all full chassis guns or manners composites

The number one question is what is the primary use I reckon?

The all carbonfiber manners stocks are good? I suspect that the laminated wood stocks are long dead, or do they still serve well?

Interested in using detachable magazines and having a doall type rifle. Had thought a 6.5-08 improved 40 would be about right. Using 24 to 26" barrel.

Send all the experience, insight or personal views my way please. I know zero and all responses will be taken in good faith.

Thank you.
I don’t have much real world bolt gun experience so take what I’m about to say with a few grains of salt

Stocks are stocks. The only criteria, imo, should be the reputation behind the company and the quality of the construction.

The Mausingfield is the basis for my dream rifle. But, just my opinion again, it’s kind of a waste to plan on shooting a single cartridge through it. The beauty is in the replaceable bolt heads so you can do just about anything with it. 223 trainer setup with .378 bolt head. Hot 6mm prs setup and 280ai/.30-06 hunting setup with .473 bolt head. Longer range steel banger and/or hunting setup with .535 bolt head. ELR beginner .338 Lapua or big power Tubb XC setup with .588 bolt head. The possibilities are endless

I know I will(and have in the past) get shit for thinking one switch barrel rifle will be the end. I get it. Maybe I’ll stop at one action/chassis and a million barrels, maybe I won’t. That’s my plan for now, we’ll see what the future holds

Reactions: powdahound76
Awesome actions.

laminate works. Choose what you like.

Pick a more common caliber.
No fire forming.
Use a reamer that doesnt demand neck turning.
260 is great.
6.5 manbun works
6.5 x47 does it too.

Go big with a 6.5 ‘06

My man bun and 26” barrel is at 2850 with a 140 with a modest load.
Buddy gets 2980 with a 6.5-284.
The 6.5-08 improved 40, as I understand.. and this may be incorrect - but basically a person is capable of using factory 260rem ammo. It is a few thousandths shorter, so the case pinches at the neck/shoulder point. It can be fireformed with decent results at close range. The taper blows out and uses a 40* shoulder.

I had thought a bolt or two would be useful. I would suppose person could single load long rounds with a sled? Although I am not positive about the sled and the fixed extractor.

Use? Well.. it would be carried a bit. Though being able to run a few prs style strings could be fun. I like the notion of manners' new adjustable prs stock. Though... not sure if it would be suited for a drag while crawling. Or other aspects.

Have some older gunsmithing books.. a mill and lathe.. somewhat curious about buying a laminate blank, a barrel blank and action of choice. Try my hand at inletting and bedding the action.

To me, it seems like the 260rem "AI" chamber (6.5-08 improved 40) would probably be a good all around use. Can throw light bullets very fast and has enough to push the 140's pretty quick.

If I wanted to plink, could run 223 shelf rounds. Probably the cheapest AR type load. Just because it would be for practice, not precision.

Just some ideas.

Tell me about preference in bipods, sandbags and anything else important? Was thinking an atlas prs. The taller model. Though, that may be a mistake.. the shorter legs may be better choice.

Thank you all. Appreciated.

Awesome actions.

laminate works. Choose what you like.

Pick a more common caliber.
No fire forming.
Use a reamer that doesnt demand neck turning.
260 is great.
6.5 manbun works
6.5 x47 does it too.

Go big with a 6.5 ‘06

My man bun and 26” barrel is at 2850 with a 140 with a modest load.
Buddy gets 2980 with a 6.5-284.
Tell me more about this 6.5 man bun cartridge, damn autocorrect, lol

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
@Quietguy88

Buy this. Be on love.

Use lapua brass and 136 Scenars.

Makes your peepee longer and harder too
🤣

Manners stocks are great. The ARCs will accept Remington 700 inlet stocks so your possibilities are abundant.
The Mesa Precision stocks are very nice as well. I have a Mesa Altitude stock in the shop for a Tikka and I'm impressed with it.

If doing a long action standard bolt face cartridge, keep it simple and do a 280ai. Brass everywhere and it performs similar to a magnum.

If it were me and you were set on a “do it all” 6.5mm rifle. I’d get a Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC and be done with it.

5.5lb base rifle, 3 round magazine with good internal length, 6.5 PRC (Lapua brass - factory ammo), make it as heavy or light as you want with the scope choice (I’d top with a Vortex LHT 4.5-22). Done.

Everything else will be cobbled together and almost definitely end up heavier then you’d like for a “do it all” rifle.

Again.
just do a 260 or a 6.5 Creedmoor
You will be glad you did.

Plenty of speed with either one with 130 class.
or a little lighter in solids.
Why do you recommend this? I have reloading equipment and it should function well within short hunting distances if by any reason I "lost" or forgot ammunition?

Not trying to create strife. Simply curious.

I had thought about the long action, but... if I am going to fire beyond what a short action magnum can accomplish, I would almost rather a dedicated rifle. That uses something explicitly large.

If doing a long action standard bolt face cartridge, keep it simple and do a 280ai. Brass everywhere and it performs similar to a magnum.

If it were me and you were set on a “do it all” 6.5mm rifle. I’d get a Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC and be done with it.

5.5lb base rifle, 3 round magazine with good internal length, 6.5 PRC (Lapua brass - factory ammo), make it as heavy or light as you want with the scope choice (I’d top with a Vortex LHT 4.5-22). Done.

Everything else will be cobbled together and almost definitely end up heavier then you’d like for a “do it all” rifle.
Appreciated. I am not too hurt about a rifle weighing twelve to fourteen pounds. Not the most pleasurable to hump around, but it definitely is not the heaviest weapon I packed for miles.

Part of it, I am interested in doing a portion of work myself.

What caliber and chamberings do you all recommend? Then why do you recommend that selection?

I had thought atacr 5-20 would be about right for glass.

Again, appreciated everyone. Very much.

Why do you recommend this? I have reloading equipment and it should function well within short hunting distances if by any reason I "lost" or forgot ammunition?

Not trying to create strife. Simply curious.

I had thought about the long action, but... if I am going to fire beyond what a short action magnum can accomplish, I would almost rather a dedicated rifle. That uses something explicitly large.
It’s just much less work for the same thing. If you want a hotrod 6.5, build a 260ai(.473 bolt head) or 6.5 prc (.535 bolt head). Don’t worry about building them on separate actions if you’re serious about buying a Mausingfield, it’s plenty strong enough to handle some seriously warm hand loads of either

Thank you.
Mausingfield actions are excellent.

Manners makes very nice things the only downside is the wait, as they are always back ordered.

I would suggest a 6.5 CM rather than a 260. The 260 performance advantage is minimal and the 6.5 has more factory ammo and component support. I would also consider a shorter barrel (20-22) as this sounds like you want a "do it all" gun.

You may also want to consider two specialized rifles (one pure hunting and one pure target) rather then accepting the compromises inherent in using a single rifle to do everything.

Reactions: Quietguy88
Mausingfields are good actions (especially if you do a rebated rim). If you want shorter throw the Archimedes is also very nice. Many others as well such as tl3, terminus, etc.

Short action is handy but a straight 260 is probably easier as I have a short barrel that gets the 147gr to 2800, if you want to go wild cat there are 6.5 addiction etc but really not recommend as your one do it all. If you go long action the 284 win, 280 or 280ai are all good do everything rounds

Mausingfields are good actions (especially if you do a rebated rim). If you want shorter throw the Archimedes is also very nice. Many others as well such as tl3, terminus, etc.

Short action is handy but a straight 260 is probably easier as I have a short barrel that gets the 147gr to 2800, if you want to go wild cat there are 6.5 addiction etc but really not recommend as your one do it all. If you go long action the 284 win, 280 or 280ai are all good do everything rounds
Would you take the 280ai in a long action over the 284 in a short action? Looks like the short action really... hamstrings the 284. Just as a quick look at case length, bullet length and using a 2.9" magazine.

Maybe something like a smaller 6mm chambering in a short action and a 280ai in long action would be a better fit?

I do not think I will ever stretch beyond what the 280ai, long barrel and high bc would accomplish.

Appreciated. Any further insight is wonderful. Thank you everyone, it is very helpful.

Would you take the 280ai in a long action over the 284 in a short action? Looks like the short action really... hamstrings the 284. Just as a quick look at case length, bullet length and using a 2.9" magazine.

Maybe something like a smaller 6mm chambering in a short action and a 280ai in long action would be a better fit?

I do not think I will ever stretch beyond what the 280ai, long barrel and high bc would accomplish.

Appreciated. Any further insight is wonderful. Thank you everyone, it is very helpful.
7SAW

162/168 around 2850-2900
180 around 2700-2775

The 284 does perform best in a long action if magazine feeding is a concern, unless you look at the xm type actions. You can do a short but then you need to look at shorter lower bc stuff (I wasn’t happy with 162 eld in a short action as those are still very long). For reference most likely 180s will be in the 3.15-3.20” range for coal. Since the arc actions all allow bolt head swaps you could do a 7 saum or Sherman if you need the extra performance….or any of the 6.5, 25 etc variants. You could also do 7-08/ai/saw if you want to stay in the 160 class bullets.

I personally would do multiple cartridges as it’s nice to have options based on what you are doing.

The 284 does perform best in a long action if magazine feeding is a concern, unless you look at the xm type actions. You can do a short but then you need to look at shorter lower bc stuff (I wasn’t happy with 162 eld in a short action as those are still very long). For reference most likely 180s will be in the 3.15-3.20” range for coal. Since the arc actions all allow bolt head swaps you could do a 7 saum or Sherman if you need the extra performance….or any of the 6.5, 25 etc variants. You could also do 7-08/ai/saw if you want to stay in the 160 class bullets.

I personally would do multiple cartridges as it’s nice to have options based on what you are doing.
I had thought about the 7-08ai. However, I was not clear if a person could use the heavier bullets.

After some looking... maybe one of those xm defiance actions would be nice. Shame no one makes dbm for it? Maybe a 7saum improved is in order.

I had thought about the 7-08ai. However, I was not clear if a person could use the heavier bullets.

After some looking... maybe one of those xm defiance actions would be nice. Shame no one makes dbm for it? Maybe a 7saum improved is in order.
just get a sherman instead of a saum/improved. good and available headstamped and formed brass

don't discount a 7SAW versus the 7-08AI if sticking with 308 boltface

Have used a 260rem more than 20 years 140gr class kills well. Also have 6.5 creedmoor (man bun) same same. Have 6,5 SAUM and use 127lrx and 139 scenars they kill like Thor’s hammer. APA DBM for the defiance actions. Have been using manners stocks for 10 or so years and they are tough as nails.

As a reloader you get more out of a 260, but if buying off the shelf is important then the 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 PRC are more available.

All the choices listed above have good merits, question becomes are you into the wildcats or more common cartridges? Either way enjoy the journey.

Thank you.
My gunsmith has a very good .260 AI reamer. He is a big believer in the cartridge.
Gets good accuracy with regular .260 loads as well.

However, if you want that kind of speed, why not just go with the 6.5-284? Brass is available, so you don't spend barrel life fireforming.
Barrel life is short, just like the .260 AI.

I am curious how the 7short sherman pushes out a 7saum improved? From what I saw, it seems to be less volume. Which... should make less recoil, but?? How much less??

It was looking like 7saum improved would use h1000 and similar powder. Which is supposed to help support barrel life?

Also, if a person were so.. worried about barrel life.. couldn't a person hydroform and use peppy loads at reasonable distance? I was thinking barrel breakin runs over a few rounds. Person could fireform then. Again, also short range shots could be used for fireforming. Foulers. All that. Nothing lives forever and I expect barrels and brass to be consumed.

*shrug*

Sounds like I need to research more. Again, thank you to everyone as always. I have no dog in the fight and all this opinion is helpful.

Oh, I did find the bottom metal after I posted. Forgot to mention that.

The XM action length looks pretty good, if a person wanted to long load saums or similar. I doubt person give up much, beyond money with that setup. Maybe I am far from correct. Though a defiance tactical with the heavy tang and controlled round feed bolt in xm length is looking pretty good.

I already have ar308 with 18" barrel. Was giving thought to a hipower optic.. but where I am sitting now is, running 175smk's on a modified dillon xl650. Use nxs 2.5-10 glass and shoot 600yards and less.

One of those fancy wildcats pushing 180gr hybrids from berger... ought hammer from 600 to farther than I care.

May just be my ticket.

Keep throwing input my way. I do appreciate everyone. Truthfully.

Reactions: The D
I am curious how the 7short sherman pushes out a 7saum improved? From what I saw, it seems to be less volume. Which... should make less recoil, but?? How much less??

It was looking like 7saum improved would use h1000 and similar powder. Which is supposed to help support barrel life?

Also, if a person were so.. worried about barrel life.. couldn't a person hydroform and use peppy loads at reasonable distance? I was thinking barrel breakin runs over a few rounds. Person could fireform then. Again, also short range shots could be used for fireforming. Foulers. All that. Nothing lives forever and I expect barrels and brass to be consumed.

*shrug*

Sounds like I need to research more. Again, thank you to everyone as always. I have no dog in the fight and all this opinion is helpful.

The XM action length looks pretty good, if a person wanted to long load saums or similar. I doubt person give up much, beyond money with that setup. Maybe I am far from correct. Though a defiance tactical with the heavy tang and controlled round feed bolt in xm length is looking pretty good.

I already have ar308 with 18" barrel. Was giving thought to a hipower optic.. but where I am sitting now is, running 175smk's on a modified dillon xl650. Use nxs 2.5-10 glass and shoot 600yards and less.

One of those fancy wildcats pushing 180gr hybrids from berger... ought hammer from 600 to farther than I care.

May just be my ticket.

What is barrel break in?

*shrug*

May just be my ticket.

I see your comment about “600 to farther than I care”, how far are you planning on shooting this rifle? If you’re only shooting ~600 yards, any cartridge will do. Seriously. With the advancements in powder, projectile, & barrel technology any cartridge, especially hand loads, will make 600 yards a chip shot.

But, if you want to make some goofy wildcat of a wildcat just because you enjoy the process then don’t let me talk you out of it. And if you’re starting this whole process from scratch you’d be better served(my opinion here) with a long action. It’ll only limit you when(or if) you start shooting some larger cartridges

There are a lot of fantastic actions out on the market now-n-days, but I will be honest, I'm a sucker for the controlled round feed. Before the Mausingfield came out I was looking at the FN SPR rifles which have the full length Mauser extractor, and they're nice rifles, but they're not a custom action. Then Ted introduces the Mausinfield and it's like my dreams were answered (I still remember the first time I saw the video of him explaining his new action design and I was like "Yes! this is what I've been waiting for!") Quality control seems to be as exceptional as a lot of other custom actions (ie: you can order a shouldered prefit barrel and it will screw on if you have a barrel vice and action wrench) to me, that's the level of quality control which is required in a custom action.

I started off with a Savage 12FV from Cabela's in .223, I was "all in" for a hair over $700. But in the end, I wish I had just ordered a custom from the get go. Especially if you already reload. Long range is really quite addicting and you'll end up with a custom anyway. Just my $0.02

My .260 (top) Mausingfield M5 and my .223 (bottom) Mausingfield M7 from the recent 4th of July sale. Both 26" barrels.

CvKK3oo.jpg

pjjiwe2.jpg

(What the 12FV looked like from the beginning)
GKAtX7X.jpg

Reactions: rope and The D
There are a lot of fantastic actions out on the market now-n-days, but I will be honest, I'm a sucker for the controlled round feed. Before the Mausingfield came out I was looking at the FN SPR rifles which have the full length Mauser extractor, and they're nice rifles, but they're not a custom action. Then Ted introduces the Mausinfield and it's like my dreams were answered (I still remember the first time I saw the video of him explaining his new action design and I was like "Yes! this is what I've been waiting for!") Quality control seems to be as exceptional as a lot of other custom actions (ie: you can order a shouldered prefit barrel and it will screw on if you have a barrel vice and action wrench) to me, that's the level of quality control which is required in a custom action.

I started off with a Savage 12FV from Cabela's in .223, I was "all in" for a hair over $700. But in the end, I wish I had just ordered a custom from the get go. Especially if you already reload. Long range is really quite addicting and you'll end up with a custom anyway. Just my $0.02

My .260 (top) Mausingfield M5 and my .223 (bottom) Mausingfield M7 from the recent 4th of July sale. Both 26" barrels.

CvKK3oo.jpg

pjjiwe2.jpg

(What the 12FV looked like from the beginning)
GKAtX7X.jpg
Mausingfield in an AI chassis is my exact dream rifle. I’m lusting after the newest sage green version but these are awesome too

Mausingfield in an AI chassis is my exact dream rifle. I’m lusting after the newest sage green version but these are awesome too
Haha yeah... I started specing a rifle on a blue printed R700 in like 2017, then quickly switched to using a Mausingfield in late 2018. I had the whole thing on a spreadsheet and was just staring at the total like "how can I spend this much on a single rifle?!" So I started buying things piece by piece when I finally bought the action I already had all the pieces. The .223 on the other hand was me seeing the sale, ordering the action, the barrel and trigger finding the AICS here on the hide and someone up for doing a f2f sale. Came together in like 3 weeks. I never would have thought it'd be done so quickly!

If that's what you want, just start buying pieces, especially if you can get them used or on sale :)

Reactions: The D
Haha yeah... I started specing a rifle on a blue printed R700 in like 2017, then quickly switched to using a Mausingfield in late 2018. I had the whole thing on a spreadsheet and was just staring at the total like "how can I spend this much on a single rifle?!" So I started buying things piece by piece when I finally bought the action I already had all the pieces. The .223 on the other hand was me seeing the sale, ordering the action, the barrel and trigger finding the AICS here on the hide and someone up for doing a f2f sale. Came together in like 3 weeks. I never would have thought it'd be done so quickly!

If that's what you want, just start buying pieces, especially if you can get them used or on sale :)
It’s going to be a while before I can do this, realistically. I’ve got 3 boys under 5 now and we’re trying really hard to pay off the rest of our debt(other than house). Someday I’ll get it. I’m going to need some rifles to pass on to my kids someday, right?…

Reactions: spife7980
I built a 7SAUM on a short action Archimedes action. With it's 24" barrel It shoots 162 A-max's at 3100fps. It would be tough to get similar performance from 180gr bullets since the short action mag keeps them well, short. Originally wanted the Mausingfield but decided on the Archimedes to save money. No regrets. ARC makes great stuff.

I built a 7SAUM on a short action Archimedes action. With it's 24" barrel It shoots 162 A-max's at 3100fps. It would be tough to get similar performance from 180gr bullets since the short action mag keeps them well, short. Originally wanted the Mausingfield but decided on the Archimedes to save money. No regrets. ARC makes great stuff.
If I was going to do a long action build it would 100% be on an Archimedes.

Thank you.
I would recommend staying away from a wildcat cartridge for match use. You will likely need/want to shoot a large amount to improve your skills and it is easier to manage brass when you are not having to form them. There is little to be gained from a wildcat that cannot be achieved with a standardized case that is commercially available.
Just my .02 after dabbling with a few wildcats. Good luck with your Choice.

Reactions: evilsemaj