• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Talk to me about deathgrip infinite or other tripod

tarheel7734

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2014
    Johnson City Tn
    I have finally decided to get a tripod. Unfortunately the market is so saturated with them and it's really hard to figure out what to get. I really don't think I can pay 1200+ for a tripod now as I am not sure how much I would use it for shooting and would use it more for my spotting scope.

I am currently look8ng at the BOG deathgrip infinite in carbon. We get a mil discount and that puts it around 315.00. T has a ball mount as well as arca mount for optics and the clamp for rifles as I don't have arca on my rifles.

So what say you guys/gals? Is it a worthy contender ? Are there others I should look at?

Long thread, but turns out this cheap Amazon tripod was unexpectedly a decent tripod. I even bought one (RT75C) for hunting and it worked pretty damn well. I put a pig saddle on it rather than the deathgrip though. A plastic saddle just didn't feel strong enough to have confidence in.

Leofoto also has cheap knockoff tripods that are pretty damn good. I have one also. I personally would never actually consider a BOG.

Reactions: MO Fugga
    BOG is ok. I have the carbon one and it’s still heavy. Bought it for ground blind hunting for my son. It does its job but there are better options out there for not much more money. You don’t have to spend rrs type money to have a good one. I know a lot of people talk crap about Leofoto being chinese but they’re a very good bang for your buck. You see way more leofoto’s at competitions than anything else. Not sure what your intended use is going to be but I’d take a look at them.

BOG is ok. I have the carbon one and it’s still heavy. Bought it for ground blind hunting for my son. It does its job but there are better options out there for not much more money. You don’t have to spend rrs type money to have a good one. I know a lot of people talk crap about Leofoto being chinese but they’re a very good bang for your buck. You see way more leofoto’s at competitions than anything else. Not sure what your intended use is going to be but I’d take a look at them.
    The issue with Leofoto is they blatantly rip off RRS designs and label them as their own....and yes they are Chinese. Right out of their playbook.

I have the Innorel GT-324-C, and I like it. I'd rather have the 2 section Leofoto inverted, but not a priority. On top is the Weyllan CH-55 ball head, which looks a helluva lot like the 2 Vets. It's pretty good, but I'd rather have the Sunwayfoto IB-65.

Not a competitor, and am not about to spend north of $800 on a rig.

The issue with Leofoto is they blatantly rip off RRS designs and label them as their own....and yes they are Chinese. Right out of their playbook.
    I don't think leofoto is solely responsible for ripping off other designs and capitalizing on it, and I might be wrong but I don't think leofoto is doing anything more than what every other tripod manufacturer is doing in regards to their actual tripods. They are the OEM for many tripods already on the market at a higher proce also.

I do agree they ripped off the anvil, and they had to make some changes to their clamps because of it. I own an anvil also. But as far as tripods go, I'd like to know what leofoto ripped off from RRS if they did. This isn't to excuse them either.

If you get the mil discount, you probably get it at vortex too. They've got one that comes to about $500 with the discount that looks pretty good for $500. The summit, I think?

I won an athlon in a raffle. The biggest one they make. Its good for the range, but its pretty damn heavy even with the carbon fiber legs. I'd never strap it to a pack.

I'd guess that everything from about $400 to $800 is the same shit with different stickers. Then you get up into RRS.

I have finally decided to get a tripod. Unfortunately the market is so saturated with them and it's really hard to figure out what to get. I really don't think I can pay 1200+ for a tripod now as I am not sure how much I would use it for shooting and would use it more for my spotting scope.

I am currently look8ng at the BOG deathgrip infinite in carbon. We get a mil discount and that puts it around 315.00. T has a ball mount as well as arca mount for optics and the clamp for rifles as I don't have arca on my rifles.

So what say you guys/gals? Is it a worthy contender ? Are there others I should look at?
    I bought a BOG Deathgrip Infinite Carbon a few months back, and haven't had a chance to use it in the field, but messing with it around the house, it's pretty lightweight, and VERY sturdy. The saddle was what I was most skeptical about, but so far, it works surprisingly well, and I haven't had a single rifle slip (including heavy 20+lbs. chassis guns, normal stocks, and thin handguard AR's), while messing with it. The ball head also holds ARCA rails really nice and tight, too. Pretty happy with the $350 I paid for it at the LGS.

Good price on them on Amazon, too. BOG Deathgrip Infinite Carbon Tripod

I run a big carbon fiber with a ballhead conversion for spotting.
    I just bought a leofoto as a rear support, no ball head yet , ln404c. eBay is pretty inexpensive. I certainly can’t afford the others