TBAC 9" cans vs Ultra 7

flatland1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2005
Western Kansas
My Gen 1 30 cal Ultra 7 was by far the favorite can in the safe, and when I decided I needed a Gen 2 Ultra 7 6.5mm can, it compared favorably to the Gen 1, especially when I use it on either of a couple of bolt rifles in 20 Tactical. I'd wanted to get an Ultra 5 6.5mm for quite some time, and when I finally did, I really like it on any of my custom rifles based on the Howa Mini action that get carried around on evening walks.

I finally got tired of seeing an old BA30 sitting at the bottom of a stack of suppressors in the safe, and sent it back to TBAC to have it re-cored and converted to the CB mount. It's now a very quiet can, but the groups I shoot with either of the Ultra 7s will always be a bit tighter than those shot with the converted BA30 - and in truth, the same is true when I compare the 30CB9 that I sent in to be re-cored with the Gen 2 Ultra baffle stack. It's not a big difference, but it's consistently the case. As quiet as these two re-cored cans are, I hate to pass them over in favor of the Ultra 7s, but accuracy is more important to me than Db. Has anyone else seen this when comparing Ultra 7s to re-cored TBAC 9" cans? Is there a tuner mount that would work with these 9s, and has anyone got any experience with doing this and getting tighter groups? It's not that I think the re-core process caused the slight increase in groups, because neither 9" can shot groups as tight as the Ultra 7s before they were sent in to be re-cored.

We haven't seen any accuracy difference. More likely your barrel is hitting a different harmonic with a longer/heavier can.
Just saw this thread and was going to comment the same thing... I have some rifles that react totally different with heavier cans on them. Several of my AR's will NOT shoot as good with lightweight Ti cans, as they will with my Sandman-S cans. Crazy stuff.