Suppressors TBAC Magnus RR-K vs Area419 Maverick vs Without Warning CHAD

NiteQwill

Best to jump high, and far!
Minuteman
Supporter
Jun 26, 2012
Uncle Sam's Bottom
I'll keep this a little short and maybe add to it later since family and kids take up 99.99% of my time 😬

Edit: big update at this post: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...vs-without-warning-chad.7229804/post-11745665

Edit 2: follow up after 3 days of shooting. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...vs-without-warning-chad.7229804/post-11747490

For background, I've owned by Maverick from nearly the point it was released. I've used it enough through several PRS seasons that I'm quite familiar with it. I've sent it back to Area419 for several cleanings and a separated baffle stack (that occured during a 2 day match). They have always taken care of it, no issues. It is an EXCELLENT performing suppressor for its intended use. I run it in the shortest configuration. It has certainly helped with the longevity of my shooting sessions when doing PRS specific repetitions.

I recently picked up the Magnus RR-K and Without Warning CHAD (to shoot in suppressor unfriendly states and countries).

After putting a few rounds through all 3, I'll share my initial thoughts:

The Magnus RR-K certainly has a more suppressor feel vs the Maverick. The Maverick, to me, feels more like a brake with the signature 'snap' when you shoot it. It rarely leaves the target by much and remains easy to drive. I've always appreciated that I don't have a headache after 2 days of constant shooting or with heavy training regiments. When comparing the two suppressors, you can notice the opening of the last aperture on the Magnus RR-K is the same as the bore diameter and the Maverick is a little larger. This was at quick glance. So, I think this may slightly drive how they perform differently.

The Magnus RR-K has a slight push with a small off-target drive. Now, this could simply be something that I need to train better for or that I simply haven't shot the suppressor enough to anticipate and understand the feel of it. It is something I will be working on. It is not loud when compared to the Maverick (outside the shooter's perspective). In that sense, it is definitely quieter IMHO. From the shooter's perspective, I liked the overall sound and tone of the Magnus RR-K vs the Maverick.

The CHAD is quite a brake. I've used the Sidewinder, Hellfire Match, APA, and ACE in the past. I have mostly removed myself from shooting brakes simply due to the fact that I get really bad headaches after long sessions of shooting. And quite honestly, it's one of the main reasons I've stopped shooting Open guns in USPSA. (Decades in the Army finally caught up). So the reason for this purchase was to simply use the CHAD when I travel to locations that don't allow me to use suppressors. The problems that I've had with other brakes is the concussion felt at the shooter. Previous brakes were HORRIBLE. The CHAD does not have that same concussion effect that I've experienced in the past. However, the sound signature from outside the shooter is certainly there. When shooting the CHAD, I noticed what can be described best as a gust of wind flying "around me" vs "at me." The CHAD performs as intended and advertised, and likely the best brake I've ever shot. It literally does not move off target. After shooting targets at 525 and 585 yards with build and break drills on a wobbly ladder and single bag, the performance of the CHAD is quite apparent and a positive one. The price tag, however, is hard to swallow. So, I get it...

So what will I use going forward?

At this point I will likely be trying my next 2 day match with the Magnus RR-K, with the Maverick sitting on my backup rifle that I usually bring. I was happy with the Magnus RR-K and it's initial performance. The CHAD will be put away and likely only be used when I'm forced to shoot a brake. It is a stellar performing brake, but brakes still remain a contentious issue for my brain, ears, and sinuses.

Hope this helps people. My 2 cents...

1000052862.jpg

Last edited:
2 matches with the chad in the books. On the 6.5cm the recoil was definitely there, but it was straight back with little muzzle jump.

The chad on a 6gt was almost zero recoil. Slight push strait back but the barrel just didn't jump at all. Shooting off tank traps I was amazed how easy it was to get follow up shots off.

Now my buddies said standing next to the chad was like getting punched in the face but from the shooter, it's very minimal and comparable or better than the ace and ats in that reguard.

$600 is crazy for a muzzle break, but he did something remarkable with this thing. It works very very well. The only downside is cost and having to buy a few more of these....

I'll keep this a little short and maybe add to it later since family and kids take up 99.99% of my time 😬

For background, I've owned by Maverick from nearly the point it was released. I've used it enough through several PRS seasons that I'm quite familiar with it. I've sent it back to Area419 for several cleanings and a separated baffle stack (that occured during a 2 day match). They have always taken care of it, no issues. It is an EXCELLENT performing suppressor for its intended use. I run it in the shortest configuration. It has certainly helped with the longevity of my shooting sessions when doing PRS specific repetitions.

I recently picked up the Magnus RR-K and Without Warning CHAD (to shoot in suppressor unfriendly states and countries).

The Magnus RR-K certainly has a more suppressor feel vs the Maverick. The Maverick, to me, feels more like a brake with the signature 'snap' when you shoot it. It rarely leaves the target by much and remains easy to drive. I've always appreciated that I don't have a headache after 2 days of constant shooting or with heavy training regiments. When comparing the two suppressors, you can notice the opening of the last aperture on the Magnus RR-K is the same as the bore diameter and the Magnus is a little larger. This was at quick glance. So, I think this may slightly drive how they perform differently.

The Magnus RR-K has a slight push with a small off-target drive. Now, this could simply be something that I need to train better for or that I simply haven't shot the suppressor enough to anticipate and understand the feel of it. It is something I will be working on. It is not loud when compared to the Maverick (outside the shooter's perspective). In that sense, it is definitely quieter IMHO. From the shooter's perspective, I liked the overall sound and tone of the Magnus RR-K vs the Maverick.

The CHAD is quite a brake. I've used the Sidewinder, Hellfire Match, APA, and ACE in the past. I have mostly removed myself from shooting brakes simply due to the fact that I get really bad headaches after long sessions of shooting. And quite honestly, it's one of the main reasons I've stopped shooting Open guns in USPSA. (Decades in the Army finally caught up). So the reason for this purchase was to simply use the CHAD when I travel to locations that don't allow me to use suppressors. The problems that I've had with other brakes is the concussion felt at the shooter. Previous brakes were HORRIBLE. The CHAD does not have that same concussion effect that I've experienced in the past. However, the sound signature from outside the shooter is certainly there. When shooting the CHAD, I noticed what can be described best as a gust of wind flying "around me" vs "at me." The CHAD performs as intended and advertised, and likely the best brake I've ever shot. It literally does not move off target. After shooting targets at 525 and 585 yards with build and break drills on a wobbly ladder and single bag, the performance of the CHAD is quite apparent and a positive one. The price tag, however, is hard to swallow. So, I get it...

At this point I will likely be trying my next 2 day match with the Magnus RR-K, with the Maverick sitting on my backup rifle that I usually bring. I was happy with the Magnus RR-K and it's initial performance. The CHAD will be put away and likely only be used when I'm forced to shoot a brake. It is a stellar performing brake, but brakes still remain a contentious issue for my brain, ears, and sinuses.

View attachment 8491928
How you liking those can chaps? Do they hold up as well as PU ones do and work as well?

How you liking those can chaps? Do they hold up as well as PU ones do and work as well?
I've been loving the can chaps better than any other cover out there. I pretty much decided that any cover going forward would be theirs. Low profile, superb build, doesn't move, excellent mirage mitigation. And once you take them off and on a few times, they are actually quite easy to do so. Hats off to @gebhardt02 for making a great product. I'm in no way affiliated with them, I just appreciate a good product when I encounter one.

Last edited:
I've been loving the can chaps better than any other cover out there. I pretty much decided that any cover going forward would be theirs. Low profile, superb build, don't move, excellent mirage mitigation. And once you take them off and on a few times, they are actually quite easy to do so. Hats off to @gebhardt02 for making a great product. I'm in no way affiliated with them, I just appreciate a good product when I encounter one.
I've got 2 of them headed my way for a 2 new cans. A Polonium k can and a Nomad LTi. I was a little worried about the LTi one because it heats up so quickly but that makes me feel better about it. I love the thinner profile. Can't wait to try em out. Thanks for the info

I am looking forward to trying out the Can Chaps for my Magnus S. I have been using the Cole-Tac HTP covers, and I like them. But they can be a pain to get off, especially when hot. The inner-material on the outer wrap is always coming off and looks like a part of a weave fell out of someone's head laying around lol.

I've got 2 of them headed my way for a 2 new cans. A Polonium k can and a Nomad LTi. I was a little worried about the LTi one because it heats up so quickly but that makes me feel better about it. I love the thinner profile. Can't wait to try em out. Thanks for the info
I have one on nomad ti works great. I love my can chaps as well have three of them now.

@NiteQwill i might be living in a cave but what’s the story on the 6gt mag extension? I just got the new gray ops 6gt mag but didn’t see extensions as an option.

I’m trying to decide on a maverick, magnus or BOSS, I like that the maverick is modular and can be used as a suppressor when desired.
With 3d printing I’m excited to see how this type of suppressor brake combo will evolve.

@NiteQwill i might be living in a cave but what’s the story on the 6gt mag extension? I just got the new gray ops 6gt mag but didn’t see extensions as an option.

I’m trying to decide on a maverick, magnus or BOSS, I like that the maverick is modular and can be used as a suppressor when desired.
With 3d printing I’m excited to see how this type of suppressor brake combo will evolve.
That’s a rubber 3D printed bumper, not an extension

Reactions: NiteQwill

Reactions: The Knuckle

The Magnus RR-K certainly has a more suppressor feel vs the Maverick. The Maverick, to me, feels more like a brake with the signature 'snap' when you shoot it. It rarely leaves the target by much and remains easy to drive. I've always appreciated that I don't have a headache after 2 days of constant shooting or with heavy training regiments. When comparing the two suppressors, you can notice the opening of the last aperture on the Magnus RR-K is the same as the bore diameter and the Magnus is a little larger. This was at quick glance. So, I think this may slightly drive how they perform differently.

View attachment 8491928
I live in one of those suppressor-not-allowed states.

I have used all of the brakes you used plus a couple others and my opinion is the same as yours. The CHAD is hands down the best I have used. Recovery is faster and there is no concussive blast that the earlier TMBs produced. They are expensive but what isn't in this sport? I plan to buy a 308 CHAD next. I have already sold the two TMBs I had. I will use those funds to offset the cost of the CHAD.

Did you play with the tuner at all? I haven't done that yet but that is my next experiment.

Reactions: rydah and NiteQwill
I live in one of those suppressor-not-allowed states.

I have used all of the brakes you used plus a couple others and my opinion is the same as yours. The CHAD is hands down the best I have used. Recovery is faster and there is no concussive blast that the earlier TMBs produced. They are expensive but what isn't in this sport? I plan to buy a 308 CHAD next. I have already sold the two TMBs I had. I will use those funds to offset the cost of the CHAD.

Did you play with the tuner at all? I haven't done that yet but that is my next experiment.
I haven't played with the tuner. And honestly, with a 2600 round 6GT barrel, it was producing the same one hole group at 100 yards and nailing steel at 500+ yards, and an SD of 14. So, I'm unlike to change anything. 😬

Reactions: Nik H
Curious if you compared the Magnus to the Maverick in its "long brake" configuration? I always use the Maverick with the long brake setup and haven't seen a direct comparison to the new TBAC offerings in that configuration.

Curious if you compared the Magnus to the Maverick in its "long brake" configuration? I always use the Maverick with the long brake setup and haven't seen a direct comparison to the new TBAC offerings in that configuration.
Yes, I'm actually doing that today. I'll see how much I last outside. This PNW heat wave is killing my rainy soul...

• Haha
Reactions: lead ƒarmer
I sold my Magnus RR K. Some friends got to test a buddies can the same weekend it got to my dealer. After hearing how bad it performed, I sold it before we formed 4 it. Even the kgm outperformed it.

I sold my Magnus RR K. Some friends got to test a buddies can the same weekend it got to my dealer. After hearing how bad it performed, I sold it before we formed 4 it. Even the kgm outperformed it.
I mean it’s a small can with a brake. The Magnus product page even shows you how loud it is compared to the product line; Silencer Summit shooter’s ear data puts it at 152db vs bare muzzle at 160db. It’s not quiet and was never going to be?

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I mean it’s a small can with a brake. The Magnus product page even shows you how loud it is compared to the product line; Silencer Summit shooter’s ear data puts it at 152db vs bare muzzle at 160db. It’s not quiet and was never going to be?
It's has nothing to do with the sound. We shot the can in Texas this year before it was released.

It just sucks for recoil and muzzle jump on a 6mm. The running theory is not enough gas is moving through it to make it effective. It's probally great on a 6.5prc or the like. The boys tested it side by side with a Mav, KGM R6 and a brake and the magnus performed by far the worst. That is why I sold mine.

It's has nothing to do with the sound. We shot the can in Texas this year before it was released.

It just sucks for recoil and muzzle jump on a 6mm. The running theory is not enough gas is moving through it to make it effective. It's probally great on a 6.5prc or the like. The boys tested it side by side with a Mav, KGM R6 and a brake and the magnus performed by far the worst. That is why I sold mine.
So you shot it. Then ordered it. Then sold it before taking possession because it sucks?

Okay guys...

I found the cheat code.

After shooting in this blistering Pacific Northwest heat and getting my ankle eaten up by carpenter ants... And playing with different configurations:

The key is to orient the Magnus RR-K ports VERTICAL.

It literally is night and day and outperforms the Maverick by a long shot. There is hardly any muzzle rise.

@lead ƒarmer the long configuration of the Maverick is on par with the Magnus RR-K in the normal brake orientation. You're more than welcome to try and shoot mine at KRG Windbreaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: jthor
Okay guys...

I found the cheat code.

After shooting in this blistering Pacific Northwest heat and getting my ankle eaten up by carpenter ants... And playing with different configurations:

It literally is night and day and outperforms the Maverick by a long shot. There is hardly any muzzle rise.

@lead ƒarmer the configuration of the Maverick is on par with the Magnus RR-K in the normal brake orientation.
So clocking the ports at 12 and 6 o'clock? Interesting.... Won't that kick up a bunch of dust when you're on the ground?

So clocking the ports at 12 and 6 o'clock? Interesting.... Won't that kick up a bunch of dust when you're on the ground?
Correct. I tried it briefly in the prone and the geometry (I believe) of the ports shoots the gas and dust down and to the side. It wasn't too bad. Granted I was shooting more off a barricade. I'll try again at my next outing...

I also edited my previous post to correct for the Long Configuration comparison...

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
So you shot it. Then ordered it. Then sold it before taking possession because it sucks?
1. We shot the can in january which A. Was a S model not a K and B. the host gun was not a match rifle but a lighter hunting style setup and C. It was in 6.5cm and .308.
2. Yes we ordered it, expecting it to perform similar on a 24lb 6mm match gun like the maverick. Thunderbeast makes awesome stuff so we expected it to be awesome.
3. When the first dude got his out of jail and tested it, that's when they found out how poor it performed on a match gun. I technically never shot it on said match gun but guys I trust all said the same thing after shooting side by side with other mentioned cans. @NiteQwill was with us in Texas and know the other guys well I'm talking about.
4.I have a kgm and a chad and might grab a maverick when they come back in stock.

2 matches with the chad in the books. On the 6.5cm the recoil was definitely there, but it was straight back with little muzzle jump.

The chad on a 6gt was almost zero recoil. Slight push strait back but the barrel just didn't jump at all. Shooting off tank traps I was amazed how easy it was to get follow up shots off.

Now my buddies said standing next to the chad was like getting punched in the face but from the shooter, it's very minimal and comparable or better than the ace and ats in that reguard.

$600 is crazy for a muzzle break, but he did something remarkable with this thing. It works very very well. The only downside is cost and having to buy a few more of these....
Interesting as my experience the ATS on both a 308 and 6 Creedmoor were near zero concussion just a warm breeze, haven’t had a chance to try it on the 6.5 Creedmoor yet.

Okay guys...

I found the cheat code.

@lead ƒarmer the long configuration of the Maverick is on par with the Magnus RR-K in the normal brake orientation. You're more than welcome to try and shoot mine at KRG Windbreaker.
I'm looking into both of these suppressor options for PRS... is it possible to orient the Maverick ports vertically as well, and if so, have you tested that configuration?

Is the Chad MPA DN5 level loud for people standing around the shooter? Am I going to be that guy in the squad that everyone is cursing because of how obnoxious the brake is?

Okay. 3 days behind the Magnus RR-K and Maverick. 200+ rounds.

Both are excellent suppressors.

For now, I'll be behind the Magnus for the foreseeable future. However, I think the brake needs a redesign.

After numerous ways of playing the with Magnus, I feel that the ports should be aimed upwards with a flat bottom to mitigate dust signature. It isn't that bad, but I can predict that matches similar to the moon dust of NF ELR it would be a big problem.

There is a noticeable difference in recoil impulse with the brake oriented 12 and 6 o'clock. Almost zero to minimal movement off any barricade or natural terrain features that I shot off of. Dare I say, it was 'almost' like the CHAD. But with the brake oriented horizontally, it acts similar to the long configuration of the Maverick. YMMV.

I had a friend thousands of miles away shoot his Magnus S RR in similar orientation and he confirmed my thoughts. Whowuddathunk?

Who needs to be tagged at TBAC?
@Zak Smith ?

Excuse my award winning art ability:
1000053052.jpg

Last edited:
Another data point- I side by side tested the K-RR and KGM R30 on a 14lb .308 pushing 200gr bullets out a buss window. The K-RR was ever so slightly better as far as reticle jump. Now, the ports were at 3 and 9 so I'm excited to try 12 and 6.
I agree with the others above, the K-RR on a dasher was lackluster at best. KGM R6 with top ports open beat it significantly in terms of reticle movement.

Another data point- I side by side tested the K-RR and KGM R30 on a 14lb .308 pushing 200gr bullets out a buss window. The K-RR was ever so slightly better as far as reticle jump. Now, the ports were at 3 and 9 so I'm excited to try 12 and 6.
I agree with the others above, the K-RR on a dasher was lackluster at best. KGM R6 with top ports open beat it significantly in terms of reticle movement.
I agree. I too also have the KGM R6, and shot it side by side. The performance of the R6 is surprisingly good.

Reactions: SendCenter
I shot the Magnus K RR at the Nut Crusher match in Price Utah this weekend and took #13, with a few bad trigger presses away from the top 10. The comments about it not performing are ridiculous; you just need to learn to shoot better. (And by the way, my ports were clocked in the standard configuration with zero issues).

I shot the Magnus K RR at the Nut Crusher match in Price Utah this weekend and took #13, with a few bad trigger presses away from the top 10. The comments about it not performing are ridiculous; you just need to learn to shoot better. (And by the way, my ports were clocked in the standard configuration with zero issues).
The difference between a Maverick and Magnus (in the normal configuration) is significant. 😉

now im really excited for when my magnus S-RR shows up, I too have a chad brake but its still in the plastic bottle it came in because im so annoyed with the whole "thing" to even use it or rep it. so it might be for sale. Currently have only used ACE brakes and love them, have a Vision Vulcon on the way as we speak so will probably use that til the thunderbeast is let out.

now im really excited for when my magnus S-RR shows up, I too have a chad brake but its still in the plastic bottle it came in because im so annoyed with the whole "thing" to even use it or rep it. so it might be for sale. Currently have only used ACE brakes and love them, have a Vision Vulcon on the way as we speak so will probably use that til the thunderbeast is let out.
Honestly, you will like the CHAD over the ACE. I suggest you give it a try. It is a spectacular performing brake.

Okay. 3 days behind the Magnus RR-K and Maverick. 200+ rounds.

Both are excellent suppressors.

For now, I'll be behind the Magnus for the foreseeable future. However, I think the brake needs a redesign.

After numerous ways of playing the with Magnus, I feel that the ports should be aimed upwards with a flat bottom to mitigate dust signature. It isn't that bad, but I can predict that matches similar to the moon dust of NF ELR it would be a big problem.

There is a noticeable difference in recoil impulse with the brake oriented 12 and 6 o'clock. Almost zero to minimal movement off any barricade or natural terrain features that I shot off of. Dare I say, it was 'almost' like the CHAD. But with the brake oriented horizontally, it acts similar to the long configuration of the Maverick. YMMV.

I had a friend thousands of miles away shoot his Magnus S RR in similar orientation and he confirmed my thoughts. Whowuddathunk?

Who needs to be tagged at TBAC?
@Zak Smith ?

Excuse my award winning art ability:
View attachment 8493338

That's interesting my first thought is the physics at the muzzle end should be same regardless I would assume.... Is it possible it doesn't control the muzzle rise in the horizontal orientation then due to the recoil management style from your form?

Last edited:
That's interesting my first thought is the physics at the muzzle end should be same regardless I would assume.... Is it possible it doesn't control the muzzle rise in the horizontal orientation then do to the recoil management style from your form?
If you compare the TBAC RR vs the Maverick, the latter has a flat bottom. When you shoot the Maverick, the gases travel out and up, which lends itself to be more effective at muzzle rise. (Driving it down)

This does not exist on the RR because the ports are symmetrical top and bottom. With a recoil impulse that already heavy biases the muzzle in an upwards motion, the extra gas from the bottom makes it a little more apparent. The 12/6 orientation mitigates that, with the trade off being dust signature. I'm about to shoot a 2 day match with the RR, so either I'm gonna suck bad with my new equipment or be at/around my normal expectations (80+%). We shall see...

IMHO, I always believe in improving my shooting capabilities but I am well aware of what to expect when I shoot the same targets hundreds (1000s?) of times. So, the change in recoil is very apparent to me when compared to my baseline expectations.

Reactions: Huskydriver
If you compare the TBAC RR vs the Maverick, the latter has a flat bottom. When you shoot the Maverick, the gases travel out and up, which lends itself to be more effective at muzzle rise. (Driving it down)

This does not exist on the RR because the ports are symmetrical top and bottom. With a recoil impulse that already heavy biases the muzzle in an upwards motion, the extra gas from the bottom makes it a little more apparent. The 12/6 orientation mitigates that, with the trade off being dust signature. I'm about to shoot a 2 day match with the RR, so either I'm gonna suck bad with my new equipment or be at/around my normal expectations (80+%). We shall see...

IMHO, I always believe in improving my shooting capabilities but I am well aware of what to expect when I shoot the same targets hundreds (1000s?) of times. So, the change in recoil is very apparent to me when compared to my baseline expectations.

Sorry long day and was kinda stream of conscious typing without rereading like usual....I wasn't trying to imply the fault was your form but I def made it sound that way... Your explanation makes more sense without the devices in hand...

Valuable write up interested to see where this leads. I might have something to add to it in the coming weeks

Looks like aftermarket brakes could be made pretty easy for the tbac if they don’t change the design up. Hopefully they will or someone makes a new brake for them.