Suppressors TBAC Ultra 338 Gen 2

bmicek

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
Is the 338 Ultra totally overkill if you don’t plan to shoot a 338 through it? Really just wanting the quietest suppressor for range shooting and some stationary hunting. Plan to shoot 6 creed and some 30 cals through it. Possibly 223 as well. Currently own a Dominus and wanted something even quieter yet (though I’m pleased with my Dominus). I’m sure most will coax me towards a Magnus. I just have the desire for a stupid quiet can.

The 338 is quiet, ive shot a good amount of .223 thru one of mine and is good stuff. Its huge though, so sometimes i feel its a bit too long for the use i give my cans.

If the requirement is a stupid quiet can that's also versatile, (cal specific endcaps, vented endcaps/HUB) Check the Theorem L with a .223 end cap for comparable suppression but less weight and shorter length (more along the lines of a magnus form factor).

The vented caps do cut on felt recoil noticeably and just as easy you can switch to a non vented 223 or 6mm for max suppression for range play.

Pic below for comparison. Theorem is the L model

IMG_0253.jpeg

Last edited:
I have two 338 Ultra Gen 1s. One of them is used exclusively on 6.5CMs, the other gets used on 300 and 338NM, 338LM, and 300PRC. They are amazingly quiet on the 6.5s. For my type of shooting (square range/ELR) the extra length and weight are a non-issue. The reason I dedicate the one for just 6.5s is because if I switch around between rifles, the magnum rifles will knock loose carbon build-up inside the can that accumulates from the 6.5s. When I only had the one can and switched around, I'd shoot mostly 6.5 in the winter when my range was too wet/muddy to access the ELR portion, so I'd shoot the winter months with the 6.5s at 1000-1200 yds. When the range got dry enough in late Spring to go out to the extended distance for the magnums, they'd knock loose carbon that had built up inside the can from the 6.5s during the winter. Take the can off and black crumbly stuff would fall out. It's not really a problem, it just bugged me. Now I have two, and as long as one stays on 6.5s, that doesn't happen, and neither does it happen on the other that stays on the big guns all the time. Again, this isn't a real problem, it just bugged me. I'm considering getting a third one, a Gen 2 SR.

I use a 338 ultra on everything love it. Quietest can made hard stop but as @Mr. F said... Other great cans that are shorter and also great, the theorem is next on my list.

Ultra quiet
Light
Short

You can only pick 2 but you can never have ultra quiet and really short

Is the 338 Ultra totally overkill if you don’t plan to shoot a 338 through it? Really just wanting the quietest suppressor for range shooting and some stationary hunting. Plan to shoot 6 creed and some 30 cals through it. Possibly 223 as well. Currently own a Dominus and wanted something even quieter yet (though I’m pleased with my Dominus). I’m sure most will coax me towards a Magnus. I just have the desire for a stupid quiet can.
Not sure how much quieter a 338 Ultra is over an OCL Hydrogen, but my new Hydrogen is stupid quite. Especially with 223. It’s way more quite than my Dominus (which I absolutely love), and quite a bit smaller than the 338 Ultra. Not sure if there is any difference between the Magnus and Hydrogen as far as decibel reduction goes.

No, it isn't overkill. I have 338ultra and run it on my 300prc. Use it on 300ultra too. Use a 338jaws on a w300winmag. I use 30 cal cans on my 6mm, 6.5mm and .223. Bigger cans for caliber have more volume to encase the gas and keep things very quiet.

I have two 338 Ultra Gen 1s. One of them is used exclusively on 6.5CMs, the other gets used on 300 and 338NM, 338LM, and 300PRC. They are amazingly quiet on the 6.5s. For my type of shooting (square range/ELR) the extra length and weight are a non-issue. The reason I dedicate the one for just 6.5s is because if I switch around between rifles, the magnum rifles will knock loose carbon build-up inside the can that accumulates from the 6.5s. When I only had the one can and switched around, I'd shoot mostly 6.5 in the winter when my range was too wet/muddy to access the ELR portion, so I'd shoot the winter months with the 6.5s at 1000-1200 yds. When the range got dry enough in late Spring to go out to the extended distance for the magnums, they'd knock loose carbon that had built up inside the can from the 6.5s during the winter. Take the can off and black crumbly stuff would fall out. It's not really a problem, it just bugged me. Now I have two, and as long as one stays on 6.5s, that doesn't happen, and neither does it happen on the other that stays on the big guns all the time. Again, this isn't a real problem, it just bugged me. I'm considering getting a third one, a Gen 2 SR.
Makes sense to dedicate one can to 6.5s to avoid the carbon buildup issue. Good problem to have, needing a third can!

I have a Gen 1 338 ultra and a Magnus. On my 223 bolt guns the Magnus is a little bit quieter but it's noticeable to the ear. The Gen 2 338 is supposed to be a bit quieter than the Gen 1 but I can't imagine it's quieter enough than the Magnus to justify the size if you aren't shooting 338 cal.