• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

The dreaded Remington 700 stiff bolt lift (again)

Skeletor84

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Hello. I’m in need of some advice. I’ve had my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 for a little over a year now. Has about 500 rounds through it at this point, and shoots quite well (sub moa with my hand loads).
However, I’m experiencing a very VERY stiff bolt lift. The problem only occurs after firing (both dry, and live fire). So essentially when the cocking mechanism is engaging. It’s so stiff that I have to completely break shooting positions to rack the bolt. I’ve disassembled the bolt to clean and re lubricate, it did nothing. I’ve polished the ramp where the cocking piece rides along on the bolt, also did nothing. I always make sure the rear of my lugs are greased, as well as the cocking ramp (not actually sure what it’s called). Like I said, the gun has around 500 rounds through it, so it’s more or less broken in by now. Any advice would be greate.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello. I’m in need of some advice. I’ve had my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 for a little over a year now. Has about 500 rounds through it at this point, and shoots quite well (sub moa with my hand loads).
However, I’m experiencing a very VERY stiff bolt lift. The problem only occurs after firing (both dry, and live fire). So essentially when the cocking mechanism is engaging. It’s so stiff that I have to completely break shooting positions to rack the bolt. I’ve disassembled the bolt to clean and re lubricate, it did nothing. I’ve polished the ramp where the cocking piece rides along on the bolt, also did nothing. I always make sure the rear of my lugs are greased, as well as the cocking ramp (not actually sure what it’s called). Like I said, the gun has around 500 rounds through it, so it’s more or less broken in by now. Any advice would be greate.
Thank you!

I'd send it off to LRI and get the bolt timed.

Firing pin springs are cheap, you could try to cut a coil or two off, then make sure every primer goes off, if not, replace the spring with one that has slightly less power than a stock one.

Thank you!
Any pics of your brass?
Specifically the ass end/primer.

R

The “cocking ramp” is generally called a cocking cam( you were close!)

What did the cam and striker(which is what’s riding the cam) look like prior to polishing? Sometimes those parts are not sufficiently hard(manufacturing defect), and they bind and gall against one another.

The fact that it’s during dry fire and live fire means it’s not the extractor cam. Is it tight through the entire bolt lift, or just the beginning or the end.

Sending it to place like LRI is probably a good idea. Could be the pin spring binding, defects in the the bore of the bolt body, or a combo of several factors.

But this is a new feeling for the bolt? Meaning in the previous 500 rounds the bolt lift wasn't this stiff, and it all of a sudden is much worse? If so, did anything notable happen between the switch from normal bolt lift to hard bolt lift, i.e. an over-pressure situation, disassembly of the bolt/rifle, etc?

If you are knowledgable about how to do it, remove the action from the stock, remove the trigger, remove the striker/firing pin from the bolt and re-install the action back into the stock. Torque the action screws down moderately, put the bolt in the action and cycle it. If it binds, you need to start solving the problem there. Look at the outside of the locking lugs of the bolt for indication the front action screw may be contacting the bottom locking lug of the bolt. If it doesn't bind, re-install the striker in the bolt and cycle it. If it binds, start looking for something going on with the bolt/striker combination. If it doesn't bind, remove the action, re-install the trigger and try dry firing the action out of the stock. If it binds, there could be a problem with the trigger/action/bolt combination. If it doesn't bind, put the whole works back into the stock, torque down the action screws and see what happens.

If you aren't familiar with how to do the above, Supersube's recommendation of sending it to Long Rifles Inc (LRI) is a good piece of advice.