• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors The life of a .45acp suppressor

JJRawr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
El Paso, TX
My buddies in the army talk crap on me all the time for buying a hk usp tactical. I bought it with intentions of getting a suppressor for home defense having a young child and what not. Keep hearing they only last a couple hundred rounds at best. Thing is hk only approves of the knights armament suppressor that runs around $800. I don't know if I want to keep that weapon if it's going to put me back that much. Your thoughts and knowledge? Thanks

Re: The life of a .45acp suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thing is hk only approves of the knights armament suppressor that runs around $800. I don't know if I want to keep that weapon if it's going to put me back that much. Thanks </div></div>
Either of those 2 lasting only a couple of hundred rounds is completely false. That firearm and any halfway decent suppressor will outlast you. Now as to only being able to run a Knight's suppressor on an HK, the reason HK says this is because they have a close working relationship. I would recommend either an AAC Ti-Rant or a Silencerco Osprey for your application. Either one of those will be right around $800 plus a $200 tax stamp. This applies to any 45 caliber suppressor so the weapon is not the issue. Your budget is.

Yep...total, complete, unadulterated horsecrap!!

Some poorly built garage/basement units may only last a few dozen rounds if you are that lucky. Also, some suppressor designs that use wipes (urethane or otherwise) instead of baffles made of steel or other metal construction, will have a limited life of only 25-50 rounds (again...depending on the design).

All of the KAC cans are modern design/mfg and will perform extremely well for many, many, MANY thousands of round with proper care/use. Same for AAC, Silencerco, AWC, etc., etc., etc. I can second 762's recommendation of either an AAC Ti-Rant or an Osprey. Both are extremely well-made units from companies that know what they hell they are doing, who stand behind their products, and both of whom make products that will stand up to hard, frequent use for a long time.

That information is complete BS from your buddies - but, that being said, if you are in the Army and are still moving a lot you may want to think this over. You can't just take the suppressor to any state in the U.S. and there are some states where they will not accept them at all. So, in that case, what are you going to do with the suppressor? Think legally! I waited until I retired and lived in a state that is suppressor friendly before I bought my first one. Some people may feel differently but just read the regulations and come to your own conclusions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ETS in december and I was definitely going to wait until I move to Missouri. I'll have to google their laws on it </div></div>
In Missouri you also need a c&r ffl to own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ETS in december and I was definitely going to wait until I move to Missouri. I'll have to google their laws on it </div></div>
In Missouri you also need a c&r ffl to own. </div></div>

I'm not from Missouri, and this may be what your CLEO told you, but this is actually a misconception about the licensing. The C&R FFL has nothing to do with suppressors, and even being licensed as a "collector" by having a currier and relics license, state and federal laws use this in very vague terms. The reason why I say so is because NC has the same statute, which says "only for R&D, or collectors," but federally, the C&R FFL does not determine your status as a collector of weapons, unless the suppressor you are trying to buy is older than dirt. It's not bad to have one, because you can legitimately claim you are a collector, but you don't need one to fulfill this requirement if that is your legal justification on your Form 4. It only concerns vintage military firearms. In NC, this was one of the barriers that came up when I first got into Title II weapons, but having this license doesn't translate to anything related to modern suppressors, so if someone is telling you that you need this license to obtain a suppressor, talk to a DA and find out exactly what the law requires. Like I said, NC says something similar, but there's no federal proof that determines whether or not you are a "collector." My Form 4's state my legal requirements as "in accordance and compliance with all NC laws" and I was not denied any of my suppressors when my forms came back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarolinaExPat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">]
I'm not from Missouri, and this may be what your CLEO told you, but this is actually a misconception about the licensing. The C&R FFL has nothing to do with suppressors, and even being licensed as a "collector" by having a currier and relics license, state and federal laws use this in very vague terms. The reason why I say so is because NC has the same statute, which says "only for R&D, or collectors," but federally, the C&R FFL does not determine your status as a collector of weapons, unless the suppressor you are trying to buy is older than dirt. It's not bad to have one, because you can legitimately claim you are a collector, but you don't need one to fulfill this requirement if that is your legal justification on your Form 4. It only concerns vintage military firearms. In NC, this was one of the barriers that came up when I first got into Title II weapons, but having this license doesn't translate to anything related to modern suppressors, so if someone is telling you that you need this license to obtain a suppressor, talk to a DA and find out exactly what the law requires. Like I said, NC says something similar, but there's no federal proof that determines whether or not you are a "collector." My Form 4's state my legal requirements as "in accordance and compliance with all NC laws" and I was not denied any of my suppressors when my forms came back. </div></div>
Actually the law in Missouri states that you have to hold a Federal Firearms License. So in effect, you do HAVE to have a C&R License in Missouri to own a suppressor.

CarolinaExPat, thanks for clearing that up for us stupid people in Missouri.
smile.gif

Always check the facts when coming from army or marine buddies...Any air force or navy buddies will usually keep you on the straight and narrow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that sucks.
frown.gif
. Guess no suppressor for me. Seems like way to much work for one. C&R sounds like a bitch to obtain / maintain </div></div>
C&R FFL is easier than getting a pistol permit in most cases.
$30 every three years and that is it.
The only maintenance issues would be if you are buying C&R firearms and then later selling them.
Another plus is that quite a few places will give you dealer pricing if you have a C&R FFL. (i.e. Midway USA)

As for getting into NFA items...
Not as tough as it looks either.
PITA at times, yes, but well worth it.

As for NC and the C&R FFL thing...
It is easier to spend the $30 for the C&R and then enjoy the benefits that come with it than try to argue with a DA of Sheriff over NC Law.
There is very little to be gained over arguing with a professional over their area of expertise.
The best you can hope for is that they concede your point.
More often than not, you will just end up souring the CLEO on NFA and that hurts all of us.

You should reconsider you decision to give up so early...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always check the facts when coming from army or marine buddies...Any air force or navy buddies will usually keep you on the straight and narrow </div></div>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CarolinaExPat, thanks for clearing that up for us stupid people in Missouri.
smile.gif

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually the law in Missouri states that you have to hold a Federal Firearms License. So in effect, you do HAVE to have a C&R License in Missouri to own a suppressor.</div></div>

Wasn't trying to imply stupidity, but from a federal standpoint, having a C&R FFL has nothing to do with owning a suppressor. If you can get away with one, meaning in place of a Class III Dealer's License, then go for it, but unless you've done this route, someone at the ATF might send you back a letter with your form 4 saying it has been denied. Although it is not expressed, dealer's only states that say you must have an FFL, are referring to a Class III. So, sorry if I implied stupidity, didn't mean to. Just stating an observation as this came up when I got my cans in NC.